PDA

View Full Version : A follow up serious question about fountain pens and Superman...

Sammyo
November 30th, 2017, 08:50 PM
So I previously asked a question of this forum and was delighted with all the responses I got.
Thank you all for your time and thoughts... however... I made an error in my original question...

So to back up and start again...

I am having a custom pen made with the theme/connection to Superman... It's a long story based on an idea I had after spending too long in Instagram.

The pen is more the opposite of what I originally asked!!!
What nib would Superman NOT use?
What nib would he cringe at with disgust?

I am comfortable using all nibs from UEF to 3B to stubs to italics to flex... But what should I put on an anti-Superman pen?

All suggestions gratefully received, even better with sound reasoning and a solid connection.

Thanks all for your time for my idiotic question.

p.s. I'm a Marvel guy!... Go figure!

VertOlive
December 1st, 2017, 12:25 AM
Well...nothing made from Kryptonite for sure!

catbert
December 1st, 2017, 02:54 AM
Not vintage flex but that's not an option anyway. :)

Assuming stub or double broad WOULD suit - because more robust and enough tipping to handle white-hot writing speed - then the opposite, whatever that is. Flex or UEF? Or an oblique because he's a straightforward character. I vote a combination of all three - oblique extra-fine with some flex. Would it make him cringe with disgust or, being both farm kid and reporter, would he register mild irritation and then whip out a pencil?

amk
December 1st, 2017, 03:18 AM
Well now, I seem to remember Superman's alter ego Clark Kent was a journalist. Now in the UK, anyway, that would mean he'd have to have learned shorthand - apparently somewhat less in evidence in US newsrooms, but he might well have been a Pitman user. In which case, he would have wanted a certain amount of flexibility from his nib (unless, like my father, he preferred to use a pencil. Pencils are also easier to chew and can handily be tucked over your ear. I think my father should probably not be trusted with a fountain pen, but I did get him a P51 set for his 80th birthday...)

Glad to be a feature writer so I don't need shorthand :-)

FredRydr
December 1st, 2017, 06:21 AM
Italic, for that native Krypton script that Supe's ol' man (Jor-El) would approve of.

(Oops, I answered the poll incorrectly. Why do I get involved in such things?)

Dreck
December 1st, 2017, 07:00 AM
I surmise that Superman would eschew any Fine nib if for no other reason than his inherent super-strength and super-speed would make writing without gouging the page more of an issue than with Medium or Broad nibs.
OTOH, a Broad or BB might produce a little too wide a line for one who spends his time jotting notes as a journalist.

Sammyo
December 1st, 2017, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for your comments and votes.
Right now it looks like I'm headed for some kind of soft EF/UEF.
I think I will really like this pen... Even if Superman wouldn't... But now I think I need to add some nibsmith time and money 😮😊

catbert
December 1st, 2017, 10:13 PM
Check out this post (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/330199-twsbi-vac700r-full-flex-xxf-14k-and-architect-f-from-fpnibscom/) over in the other place. :)

Sammyo
December 3rd, 2017, 05:02 AM
Check out this post (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/330199-twsbi-vac700r-full-flex-xxf-14k-and-architect-f-from-fpnibscom/) over in the other place. :)Thanks for this, this looks amazing... My options just keep opening up!

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk

Sammyo
September 5th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Well, the pen is nearlly done and on it's way to me.
Thanks to all that offered opinions or thoughts, I sincerely appreciate all of your input.
The pen will be getting...

Drum roll please...

A Regalia Writing Labs ("Reaching" Ralph) Regalia Semiflex nib.
It has been made for the pen and is on it's way to the pen maker as I type.

Thanks to Shawn Newton for helping me to realise my mad idea and supporting the purchase of this amazing nib.
I am now way too excited to recieve the pen!!!

Medieval
September 5th, 2018, 09:48 PM
I think Superman is mostly like to use a zoom nib.

Sammyo
September 6th, 2018, 09:22 PM
I think Superman is mostly like to use a zoom nib.Hi Medieval, if you re-read the question it was "what nib would Superman not use?" [emoji6]

Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I can use it for my next pen [emoji16]

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk

Medieval
September 7th, 2018, 06:22 AM
I think Superman is mostly like to use a zoom nib.Hi Medieval, if you re-read the question it was "what nib would Superman not use?" [emoji6]

Superman only wants zoom ;). That's why I stated my opinion without ticking any.