PDA

View Full Version : Vacumatic with thread problems

cuza
July 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have a gorgeous 1946 Parker Vacumatic that has a problem that I wonder if is fixable. The threads in the cap seem to be stripped and will not securely attach to the barrel. Otherwise the pen is in absolute gorgeous condition. I hate the thought of parting it out or of tossing it into the junk box.

Does anyone know of a remedy?

Help...

cuza
July 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Tah-dah! I have come to the conclusion that the Vacumatic in question purchased recently is in essence a frankenvac. That is, the cap is not an original hence the mis-matching thread patterns of the cap and the barrel. I have been able to securely mount the cap in question to two earlier versions of the "Major" variety. I have also been able to securely mount the caps of the early majors to the new pen barrel.

Bottom line is that nothing is stripped. We merely have an inappropriate marriage of cap and barrel. Unless I can find a matching cap, it's the junk box for this $55.00 mistake.

-- cuza

cuza
July 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Maybe not!

I was able to contact the seller and the following is a quote from his email:

Dear friend,

Thank you for letting me know. Yes, the cap doesn't work well as described, but it was original. You know, ...when I received it, there was NO problem of the cap as well as the pen and it was perfect. You may have my word about this thing: when I received it, it's perfect.

However, after several days' use, I read a paper about bathing the vintage pen. So I decided to bath this pen and I kept it in clear water for 3 days. After drying it, the problem happened, I can't screw it up. I thought the cap might be damaged by the bathing--3 days' bathing.

Gist: He soaked for three days with the result being a tread malfunction. What?! Coincidence? This is getting to be curiouser and curiouser.

-- cuza

Brian Anderson
January 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
He soaked it for THREE days?? :eek: What color is it? It's a Major?

dannzeman
January 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
That's odd. I've never read anything about soaking a Vac and it changing its shape or size. Do you think you can contact him and get the source for the article and why he decided to bathe it in the first place?