PDA

View Full Version : SOLD FS: Platinum 3776 Tortoise Shell Celluloid (14k M Nib)

Zhivago
December 4th, 2017, 12:34 PM
For sale is a Platinum 3776 fp in Tortoise Shell celluloid with gold trim and a 14k M nib. The pen has not been inked. The clip does have some very light/micro scratches. There is also an aesthetic issue, which I tried to show in my last picture. It seems that Platinum may not have polished the inner parts of the pen as well as they could have. Some of the lighter parts of the celluloid have a sort of grainy look to them, and there is also a darker ring seen in my picture that sort of looks like an ink stain (though I assume that is not what it is, as I purchased the pen new). I showed the picture to a couple of knowledgeable people and they thought it might be improved or gotten rid of with another inner polishing. They couldn't, of course, guarantee that. This issue isn't that obvious unless you hold the pen up to a light. It will also be harder to notice when the pen is inked. It is still a very nice looking pen. The pen will come in its original box with papers, cartridge and converter included. $180, including shipping in the USA; will accept PayPal or check/money order. Thank you.

KrazyIvan
December 4th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Oh my. If I had the money I would snap this up, it's such a great looking pen!

Jon Szanto
December 4th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Hey Zhivago, I'd take out the implication that the inside of your pen didn't get finished correctly. I believe this is how the inside of all of these are, and I can say that mine looks that way as well. I don't think it is unusual or a flaw, and it is certainly not noticeable with the pen in use. You might mention it, but I don't believe it is a negative aspect of your particular pen.

I picked up one of these earlier this year on the forum to host a Nakaya nib and I *love* this pen. I'd have to have my head examined to get a second, but I really hope someone will purchase this lovely pen - good luck!

Zhivago
December 4th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Hey Zhivago, I'd take out the implication that the inside of your pen didn't get finished correctly. I believe this is how the inside of all of these are, and I can say that mine looks that way as well. I don't think it is unusual or a flaw, and it is certainly not noticeable with the pen in use. You might mention it, but I don't believe it is a negative aspect of your particular pen.

I picked up one of these earlier this year on the forum to host a Nakaya nib and I *love* this pen. I'd have to have my head examined to get a second, but I really hope someone will purchase this lovely pen - good luck!

Thanks, Jon. I figured it was a flaw because a Koi Celluloid 3776 I had didn't have the same issues in its lighter bits. Do you think it is unique to the tortoise? Does yours also have anything like the dark ring seen in my last picture?

Jon Szanto
December 4th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks, Jon. I figured it was a flaw because a Koi Celluloid 3776 I had didn't have the same issues in its lighter bits. Do you think it is unique to the tortoise? Does yours also have anything like the dark ring seen in my last picture?

- Don't know if it's unique to the Tort, and I only have that and the Calico in celluloid, which doesn't have transparency.
- I don't see any dark ring, but my 'clear' sections might be in different places or something. Can you tell if it is simply where the converter might have been rubbing? Or clean carefully with a cotton swab?

Zhivago
December 4th, 2017, 04:51 PM

- Don't know if it's unique to the Tort, and I only have that and the Calico in celluloid, which doesn't have transparency.
- I don't see any dark ring, but my 'clear' sections might be in different places or something. Can you tell if it is simply where the converter might have been rubbing? Or clean carefully with a cotton swab?

You don't see the darker grainy bit in my last picture? It is right above where the material starts to go dark again on the left and right. I don't think it was caused by the converter. I tried a swab earlier and had no luck.

Jon Szanto
December 4th, 2017, 05:06 PM
You don't see the darker grainy bit in my last picture? It is right above where the material starts to go dark again on the left and right. I don't think it was caused by the converter. I tried a swab earlier and had no luck.

No, I meant I don't see it in my pen. I can't honestly say what to do. If it was my pen and I was concerned, I might put a tiny bit of Simichrome on a q-tip that is on a wooden stick (for some stiffness) and try to polish it out a bit. Otherwise, just note it.

Zhivago
December 4th, 2017, 05:10 PM

No, I meant I don't see it in my pen. I can't honestly say what to do. If it was my pen and I was concerned, I might put a tiny bit of Simichrome on a q-tip that is on a wooden stick (for some stiffness) and try to polish it out a bit. Otherwise, just note it.

Ah, sorry. Silly of me not to realize you meant your pen. Since I'm selling it, I'll let the future owner deal with this issue (or non-issue).

I guess someone will be getting an even nicer price than I realized.