PDA

View Full Version : Midori MD A5 Notebook

Marsilius
December 9th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I am off traveling this weekend so can’t yet post a great picture but promise to add one soon. Less of a review and more of a promisory note.
I finally got to open a Midori A5 notebook with blank pages that I was given as a present.
I like that it is a tiny bit toothy or has resistance. Not toothy, but just enough catch on the paper to feel it.
It does not lie perfectly flat, but it is easy to write on both sides of the paper.
And what a nice notebook. I think I am sold, at least until something new shiney comes along.
Or maybe I am just sold.
Two points:
1. I am looking forward to trying the Cotton version of this notebook, which they recommend for drawing. If anyone has experience with that, I would love to hear about it.
2. I see they make a leather cover for this notebook and have seen a clear plastic cover. I wonder if anyone knows of a felt cover or some other nice non-leather cover that fits these notebooks.

grainweevil
December 10th, 2017, 03:52 AM
2. I see they make a leather cover for this notebook and have seen a clear plastic cover. I wonder if anyone knows of a felt cover or some other nice non-leather cover that fits these notebooks.

They also make a paper cover (https://www.thejournalshop.com/midori-md-notebook-paper-cover-a5), which sounds quite durable. At first I assumed it was that jeans label/washable kraft paper stuff, but the "wax paper" description suggests perhaps not.

Marsilius
December 10th, 2017, 06:46 AM

They also make a paper cover (https://www.thejournalshop.com/midori-md-notebook-paper-cover-a5), which sounds quite durable. At first I assumed it was that jeans label/washable kraft paper stuff, but the "wax paper" description suggests perhaps not.

You are right! I forgot to mention that cool feature. It comes with a paper wrapper that looks like onion skin but is pretty sturdy, too. I will check out that cover. Thanks for the link!

Marsilius
December 16th, 2017, 11:25 AM
As promised, I am finally posting an image of my Midori MD A5 notebook. The scan is lighter than real life, but gives an idea. I decided to show two things:
1. One the left hand (verso) side of the page few examples of what is called "probatio pennae" or "Federprobe" which is something I think everyone here does, that is, writing down something on a page to test their pen and ink. A time-honroed tradition, and the most famous one begins "Hebban olla vogala."

2. On the right hand (recto) side of the page are the text of that famous probatio pennae and a musical riddle. The three notated examples have something in common. Hint: You don't need to be a musician or read music to see that shared feature. [Ooops! Made a mistake and added a correction in next post!]

Finally, a couple of observations. All of the pens I used write wetter on other paper. The Midori has that touch of resistance, but the ink does not seem to spill all over the place either. The paper feels drier than others, but in a good way. The MB 146 Rikyu-cha sample is from a pen that blobs ink all over the place on Rhodia and other papers, but feels just right here. This means I can write and sketch, adding more ink without worrying too much about bleeding.
I look forward to trying the "Cotton" version of this notebook.

Marsilius
December 16th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Oops!!!! Example #3 should read like this:

drlilviv
December 18th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I am off traveling this weekend so can’t yet post a great picture but promise to add one soon. Less of a review and more of a promisory note.
I finally got to open a Midori A5 notebook with blank pages that I was given as a present.
I like that it is a tiny bit toothy or has resistance. Not toothy, but just enough catch on the paper to feel it.
It does not lie perfectly flat, but it is easy to write on both sides of the paper.
And what a nice notebook. I think I am sold, at least until something new shiney comes along.
Or maybe I am just sold.
Two points:
1. I am looking forward to trying the Cotton version of this notebook, which they recommend for drawing. If anyone has experience with that, I would love to hear about it.

I have the goat leather cover and it is literally to die for. Soft, you make your own patina, and just high quality overall !! Doesn’t add much bulk but so much more durability and style.

Marsilius
December 18th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I have the goat leather cover and it is literally to die for. Soft, you make your own patina, and just high quality overall !! Doesn’t add much bulk but so much more durability and style.

That sounds great. Though I am not totally vegan, I am trying to keep my leather consumption down to the minimum (I know, no fun). I have liked the look for a felt Midori Traveller cover. But I will check out the paper cover, and maybe drool over the goat leather.

Moonfruit11
June 23rd, 2018, 09:01 AM

That sounds great. Though I am not totally vegan, I am trying to keep my leather consumption down to the minimum (I know, no fun). I have liked the look for a felt Midori Traveller cover. But I will check out the paper cover, and maybe drool over the goat leather.

I have both the goat leather cover and the paper cover. The leather is to die for, but as its kinda pink it's not for everyone, especially a tough Yorkshireman like myself!

The paper cover is solid and feels quality. Bonus is they both fit the Tomoe River A5 notebooks (that I've forgotten the name of but you know the ones I mean!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marsilius
June 25th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I find the paper covers pretty darn sturdy. Maybe not to last forever, but good enough, and smugly non-animal product. Ok, they use trees I suppose. Cool that they fit Tomoe River also.