PDA

View Full Version : Pilot 912 Cracks in Barrel

dfo
December 16th, 2017, 01:57 AM
Tonight I discovered two small cracks near the end of the barrel on my Pilot 912. No idea how they got there, but.... sadness is near.

jar
December 16th, 2017, 05:06 AM
How do you normally carry the pen?

dfo
December 16th, 2017, 11:13 AM

It resides in a leather pen case.

inklord
December 16th, 2017, 02:55 PM
... sorry to hear that - can happen to any pen; even slight lateral stress can cause cracking at the barrel-section threads of plastic pens, especially if the barrel is not fully screwed onto the grip section; I once snapped a Lamy Safari by simply pushing it (inside its zippered leather case) into an already overly stuffed pack, and on a black Pelikan M600 the barrel once just disintegrated at the piston end (the mechanism is friction fit into the barrel). I'd ask Pilot for a replacement barrel - should be quite reasonable since its just a molded piece of plastic. There's a reason why some folks like all-metal pens!

jar
December 16th, 2017, 03:25 PM

It resides in a leather pen case.

And how is the pen case carried?

dfo
December 16th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the support Inklord. I reached out to Pilot today. Who knows what will happen, because I purchased the pen from a Japanese retailer to get a PO nib.

The pen usually stays at home. When carried, I keep the pen case in a padded pocket of my messenger bag so it will not get banged around or crushed.

dfo
December 25th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I contacted Pilot customer service and they had me send the pen to their service center in Florida. I will let you know what happens. I am still bummed about the pen.

mbp
January 2nd, 2018, 12:35 PM
Thanks, keep us updated.

Chrissy
January 3rd, 2018, 02:31 AM
I'm assuming the cracks are in the screw threads. How old is the pen?

I hope Pilot come through for you, and will look out for an update of the outcome. :)

innerlight
January 7th, 2018, 11:15 AM
yep.... let us know..I'm interested in the outcome as I have a 912 with ef nib myself...

dfo
January 7th, 2018, 03:27 PM
I'm assuming the cracks are in the screw threads. How old is the pen?

I hope Pilot come through for you, and will look out for an update of the outcome. :)

The crack occurred near the blind cap, which is what surprised me.

I have not heard anything back from Pilot after I sent it to them before New Years. I don't know if they wait to contact you until they send it back or what.

Chrissy
January 7th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Sorry I'm not as familiar with the 912 as I am with the Custom 74 and Custom Heritage 92. Is this a piston filling pen that uses the blind cap as a piston cone? Or is the blind cap just a decorative addition on the end of the barrel? If the blind cap is just a decoration, dare I ask if you have posted the pen and could the cracks possibly have been caused by the cap?

dfo
January 7th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Sorry I'm not as familiar with the 912 as I am with the Custom 74 and Custom Heritage 92. Is this a piston filling pen that uses the blind cap as a piston cone? Or is the blind cap just a decorative addition on the end of the barrel? If the blind cap is just a decoration, dare I ask if you have posted the pen and could the cracks possibly have been caused by the cap?

The 912 is basically a 91 that is a bit thicker. The blind cap is decorative. I think that the cracks may have been caused by the cap being posted onto an already stressed point on the plastic barrel (specifically where the faux blind cap is inserted into the barrel).

Chrissy
January 7th, 2018, 11:44 PM
I hope Pilot come back to you soon, and have provided a fix. :)

dfo
January 16th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Pilot replaced the barrel and got the pen back to me within 3 weeks at no cost. I am one happy camper. 😊

BayesianPrior
January 16th, 2018, 01:22 PM
So pleased to hear that for you! Excellent news!

Chrissy
January 16th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Pilot replaced the barrel and got the pen back to me within 3 weeks at no cost. I am one happy camper. 😊

Yay! That's great news. Good one Pilot! :applause: