PDA

View Full Version : Pen Photo Techniques & Tips - Q & A

FredRydr
December 17th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Please suggest techniques and tips for better pen photos.

FredRydr
December 17th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I have a Canon G15 zoom. I watched another casual photographer pick up the G15 and knew all the Canon software ins and outs. Apparently Canon digital camera menus are pretty much the same across their range.

I struggle with focusing and getting close. What settings are recommended for close work?

KrazyIvan
December 17th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I don't know that particular camera but with any camera, setting it to macro focus helps a lot.

carlos.q
December 17th, 2017, 04:37 PM
It always helps if you use a tripod. I forget that a lot... :wink:

KrazyIvan
December 17th, 2017, 05:08 PM
+1 on the tripod. If you don't have one, holding your breath as you click the shutter button helps to keep the camera steady.

Deb
December 17th, 2017, 05:25 PM
A lightbox and mini-tripod work well for me. The macro setting helps for detail.

FredRydr
December 17th, 2017, 07:25 PM
My macro setting doesn't settle the focus. The camera just keeps refocusing.

penwash
December 17th, 2017, 08:38 PM
1. Select background that contrast with the subject in a good way.
2. Natural light, diffused and bounced on the opposite side.
3. Post processing matters. Histogram Level -adjusting can yield very good results.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4473/37812365221_27f3d26465_c.jpg

Brilliant Bill
December 17th, 2017, 11:53 PM

Fred, turn off the autofocus and focus manually. Depth of field in macro work is razor thin. You'll see this as you move the camera back and forth on manual focus. Use the most stopped-down aperture you can, f/5.6 to f/8. Slow shutter speed is okay if you're on a tripod. Use a remote to trigger the shutter, or at least use the camera's delayed timer. Pushing of a shutter button, even on a tripod, can cause motion blur out of focus. Get as much light on the item as you can. Continuous light from some controlled source is best. The flash on the camera is virtually worthless in this regard. I don't know much about that particular camera, but us live view rather than looking through a viewfinder.

titrisol
December 20th, 2017, 01:02 PM

That maybe adjustable in the settings; however in Macro is easier to have manual focus and use the screen, you may want to buy a set of close up lenses that will alow you to focus closer and make the camera more comfortable

I have not used the G15, but the menus structure is very consistent between models