PDA

View Full Version : Pencil use/ storage

Titivillus
December 25th, 2017, 10:08 AM
I thought this would be a nice place to share my solution to storing pencils on my desk. We had a glass straw dispenser not being used and I thought that a pencil is about the same length so now it sits full of pencils, point down, that I can lift the top and choose which one to use.

Marsilius
December 25th, 2017, 11:50 AM
I thought this would be a nice place to share my solution to storing pencils on my desk. We had a glass straw dispenser not being used and I thought that a pencil is about the same length so now it sits full of pencils, point down, that I can lift the top and choose which one to use.
Cool idea. Once they get too short, assuming they do, do they go to pencil pasture?

Titivillus
December 25th, 2017, 01:42 PM
They have to get really short to not work in the holder maybe 3 inches and less before they get to the drawer

Marsilius
December 25th, 2017, 03:11 PM
They have to get really short to not work in the holder maybe 3 inches and less before they get to the drawer
At which point you can do reenactments of my second favorite quote from Blackadder: "Baldrick, believe me, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil if we can't replace this dictionary."

Jon Szanto
December 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I posted this in another thread a while back...

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19430075_1500013060022191_1615252721877537968_n.jp g?oh=d8dcf7d3e2a63f8de9fe407de9c452ee&oe=5A96D632

myu
December 28th, 2017, 08:44 AM

If you don't have a lot of pencils in use at a given desk, some toothbrush holders can work rather well (and there's a wide range of designs to choose from).
Were you Titivillus on FPN about 10 years ago?

VertOlive
December 28th, 2017, 12:22 PM

I'd love to see a picture......

inklord
December 29th, 2017, 09:47 AM
I toss mine into a leather pouch that can hold about 30 or so; it only takes me around 5 minutes of searching the contents and some swearing before I spill the entire contents onto my desk (though some cause log jams since the pouch is only about 1cm longer than a full-length pencil, and even narrower at the zipper, so the spilling takes another 5 minutes and don't ask me about the words I say in the meantime) then pick my pencil of choice and cram the whole lot back into my zippered pouch only to find that the pencil's lead broke off and the pencil sharpener is somewhere among the pencils in the pouch and then...
Anyway, it's a real nice natural leather pouch, and I've had it for a long time.

amk
December 30th, 2017, 03:03 AM
Two loads of pencils:
in thuya wood 'mugs' on my desk, for work
slotted into the external pocket on the bag I keep my recorders in, for music

VertOlive
April 28th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Some of the pencils are now living in a remodeled cigar box. Alas, there is not enough room for all of them so some live on my desk in their own plastic salad crisper box...

suzy01
April 29th, 2018, 02:13 PM
My colour pencils came in a wonderful tin so that's where they live. Everything else sits in pencil cases or in a box in the cupboard.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

amk
April 30th, 2018, 02:31 AM
Spotted at the conservatoire:
- a mug full of Ikea pencils - just the right length for the mug!
- the entire hinge of a piano lid (down) with pencils lying all the way along it (useless, of course, when you've put the lid up so you can play the piano, which is exactly when you will want the pencil)
- a bright and happy road runner pencil bag full of pencils in different lengths and colours

PORTEPLUME
May 11th, 2018, 02:00 AM
Some of my pens - pencils are stored on my desk in a "modified" book. It takes me a week to make such a book (30' work a day).
It's also a pretty gift to good friends or nice familymembers. Sometimes I sell one.
https://picload.org/image/doacgrla/penbox2-reduced.jpg

NibsForScript
May 11th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Very nice!