PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ink bottle?

inklord
December 29th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Yes, another quest for the best(liked)...
So what is your favorite ink bottle?
Do you have a "concept ink bottle" in your mind that nobody manufactures yet?
Personally, I find myself decanting some favorite inks either into empty Pilot Iroshizuku or large (50ml) LAMY bottles. I really appreciate the dimples at the bottom that collect the final drops of ink, and the aesthetically pleasing (to me) modernist design of these bottles.

My favorite unavailable bottle would be an oval, dimpled bottom design with a solid glass bottom (not unlike the Piot Iroshizuku bottles, but perhaps a bit smaller) and a screw-on fitting with an ink straw similar to the one in the TWSBI ink well, and interchangeable adapters for various converters, plus an equally interchangeable eyedropper, and, also interchangeable, a suitably tapered rubber cone insert which would accommodate most pens for upside-down direct filling (similar to the Visconti travelling ink well), the whole package nicely rounded off with a set of blank, self-adhesive labels made of fountain-pen friendly paper...

fountainpagan
December 29th, 2017, 11:38 AM
My favorite ink bottle is the art deco Francesco Rubinato bottle - the ink isbad, but the bottle is beautiful. They have stopped selling it in Europe, and only distribut it in the US and Japan, though not profusely.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/911/HUCN4T.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pbHUCN4Tj)

Dreck
December 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
A few years back, a fellow FPGeek gifted an Akkerman bottle to me. Although it might not be quite as efficiently designed as the ones resembling high - heeled shoes (Montblanc?), the Akkerman does work very well and it is aesthetically more pleasing to my eye.

Amanda
December 29th, 2017, 05:07 PM
My favourite ink bottle is the classic-looking Pilot 70ml. It's available with black, blue-black or blue ink (but, not their red :cry:).

KKay
December 29th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Akkerman is my favorite. GvFC is also quite nice as well.

The Good Captain
December 30th, 2017, 01:54 AM
I like the Diamine 80ml ones, old and new and especially the ones with the green caps. Also Pelikan 4001 and Edelstein and the Waterman.

migo984
December 30th, 2017, 02:46 AM
My favourite ink bottle is the classic-looking Pilot 70ml. It's available with black, blue-black or blue ink (but, not their red :cry:).

I agree. This is a great classic, and quite tactile, shape. I think it’s why I’m drawn to the slightly quirkier Colorverse version.

Paddler
December 30th, 2017, 07:31 AM
For fountain pens, I like Levenger bottles. The plastic inserts make them handy. Penman bottles have the same inserts, but I don't have enough of those to go around the ink cellar.

For dippers, I prefer the old Pelikan Fount India zig-zag bottles.

inklord
December 30th, 2017, 08:42 AM
For dippers, I prefer the old Pelikan Fount India zig-zag bottles.
Those were really nice, much classier-looking than the MB 'heeled' bottles with their pretentious ribbing... alas, I gave my last one away to a friend (who, most likely, really appreciates it, so that's all good!)

innerlight
December 30th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I too like the akkerman bottles with pilot iroshizuku bottles right up there as my favorites.

FredRydr
December 30th, 2017, 12:25 PM
For practicality, check out the photo of three bottles containing the same volume of liquid. The ubiquitous Waterman bottle (left) tipped on it's side allows drawing more ink than the old Montblanc shoe bottle (right), even pens with big nibs. For appearance, I like the octagonal Omas bottle (center), which can also be tipped 45 degrees onto an angled side. Nonetheless, it cannot compete with the Waterman bottle for drawing more of the last bit of ink. I prefer a bottle that allows me to draw ink with large-nibbed pens at a shallow angle.

My favorite is the the blue cathedral Carters bottle (those are not mine).

http://www.fohbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/CarterCatheral_JB1.jpg

Deb
December 30th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Those Carters bottles are very beautiful. I like larger old ink bottles and I'm amassing a small collection.

grainweevil
December 30th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Now there's a thing of beauty. The Waterman bottle as my own favourite, I must admit. Functional, but still attractive.

touzeen01
December 31st, 2017, 02:44 AM
Based only on looks,the Caran d'Ache Colors of the Earth bottles.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/5c4f533b1c2e456a59750b1fa71faccb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

whych
December 31st, 2017, 04:24 AM
For practicality and getting almost all the ink from a bottle, the Watermans and Pelikan 4001 bottles are about the best.
The inks are cheaper and as good a quality as the more expensive inks where you are paying for a nice bottle that isn't very practical to use if you don't use a cartridge pen and have problems filling the pen when the ink level goes down.

Hawk
December 31st, 2017, 10:57 AM
In my opinion, the Pelikan Edelstein bottles are a thing of beauty. The heavy bottom reminds me of fine crystal. Maybe the bottles are not practical for drawing the most ink out of it. For practically and visually pleasing, the Waterman bottle gets my vote.
The new Diamine bottle with the ‘knobs’ on the top is considerably better than the older ‘stripe ridge’ bottle.

SIR
December 31st, 2017, 01:24 PM
Visconti - but a pity they're now plastic not glass.