PDA

View Full Version : Nib Grinding service from La Couronne du Comte?

Onionartz
December 31st, 2017, 03:02 AM
Have any one used nib grinding service from La Couronne du Comte? If yes, what is your experience?

I am planning to get a 23Kt Broad Visconti nib from them grounded to a stub. Their price is excellent with the 20% coupon. Total nib + grinding + shipping is coming to 192 Euro.

-Pradeesh

mulrich
December 31st, 2017, 06:51 PM
I didn’t realize they offered nib grinding. I’ll have to take a closer look next time on their site.

Onionartz
March 16th, 2018, 10:44 AM
I want to provide an update on this. I placed order for a B visconti 23K large nib and grind at www.lacouronneducomte.nl on Jan 9th and the nib is not shipped out yet. Dennis always tells me it is almost done and it is been more than 2 months. This is the worst service i received from any reputable seller. Beware of ordering a nib grind from them.

dfo
March 17th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I hope you realize that the store has to special order nibs from the manufacturer. That can take some time. I would blame the manufacturer over the seller.

Onionartz
March 17th, 2018, 02:42 PM
1. When i ordered the nib it was not shown out of stock
2. I can understand nib taking 2 weeks (Appelboom gets that in 2 days though, i have ordered with them many times). But it took 1 month. My problem here is every time i follow up, i was told nib will be here in a week.
3. I can understand nib grind can take 1 month. But when i asked, i was told 1 week.
2.5 month wait is ok, if i am informed about it upfront. Then i make a decision while buying. I was constantly told soon, 1 week, working on it etc...That i have a problem with.
I got a nib ground from Nib Smith and back in 3 weeks including shipping from Israel and back to Israel (I did pay more and got the quick service). The point is i was well informed about the ETA and not kept in dark.

s_t_e_v_e
March 22nd, 2018, 04:02 PM
I've had similar experience with an order for a pen I placed in December 2016. The pen and nib grade was shown as 'In Stock'. So I place the order and received an email within a couple of days that the pen was back ordered and expected to arrive in a week or two. I waited but got no update. Then, after about 3 weeks I reached out to them and was told that they've are following up with their distributor and will let me know as soon as they know. Got a response after a week saying that they will be able to deliver 'sometime in February' and they didn't know for sure when.

At that point I decided to cancel the order and get my money back.

My order had a Montegrappa pen and a bottle of Visconti ink and both were listed as 'In Stock' but were actually not. So I am inclined to believe that this is standard practice at La Couronne du Comte.

dfo
March 22nd, 2018, 11:35 PM
I've had similar experience with an order for a pen I placed in December 2016. The pen and nib grade was shown as 'In Stock'. So I place the order and received an email within a couple of days that the pen was back ordered and expected to arrive in a week or two. I waited but got no update. Then, after about 3 weeks I reached out to them and was told that they've are following up with their distributor and will let me know as soon as they know. Got a response after a week saying that they will be able to deliver 'sometime in February' and they didn't know for sure when.

At that point I decided to cancel the order and get my money back.

My order had a Montegrappa pen and a bottle of Visconti ink and both were listed as 'In Stock' but were actually not. So I am inclined to believe that this is standard practice at La Couronne du Comte.

I believe you are right. LCdC and Appelboom are primarily brick and mortar stores. They are not Goulet pens that specializes in internet sales. I use LCdC to get a lower price, but I expect a wait, knowing that they will have to special order certain items. I usually ask upfront in my order if they have the item in stock.

Dan

Onionartz
March 23rd, 2018, 03:23 AM
Appelboom is wonderful. Joost provides excellent service, quick shipping, keep to his word and always gets out of stock items within a week as promised. I would put him at same level as Goulet Pens. Stefano from Stilograph Corsani also provides amazing service.

SIR
March 27th, 2018, 12:04 PM
I can imagine IguanaSell picking up on the custom grind idea, they have very decent customer service.

Beowulf50
March 28th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I too, have been in that situation with La Couronne du Comte, once waiting almost 3 months for a pen listed as in stock. However, that being said, I highly recommend the store. Dennis has always been extremely accommodating and helpful when it comes to special ordering pens or nibs. He has always tried to make things right as well as keep me informed. I used to be impatient when I ordered a pen that I wanted right now, but realized how silly it was, when I have waited over 10 months for a pen from Nakaya.

As was mentioned earlier, the way to avoid the wait is to make sure the pen or nib is in stock before ordering. I have done this by emailing and also calling the store to speak with Dennis.

La Couronne du Comte is a first-rate store and operation in my book, as well as Appelboom. I am not associated with either store, only a very satisfied customer.

Beowulf50