PDA

View Full Version : USPS international parcel postage

FredRydr
January 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the minimum US postage for an international parcel with a customs label now $22.50? I tried to send ink cartridges to the UK taped flat in a padded envelope to meet the maximum 3/4 inch thick rule, and less than 8 ounces, and my offer of $12.10 postage was countered with a demand for $22.50. On top of that, the recipient was charged VAT or duty by Her Majesty and then another ten quid "handling" by Royal Mail. It's turning into a shakedown at both ends.

I've always been willing to sell internationally, but who's going to want to buy across borders at this rate? Talking about rates, I expect postage rates are going up again soon.

Fred

Chrissy
January 8th, 2018, 11:09 PM
I went onto USPS using a pretend envelope with a packet of cartridges in there.

I tried a couple of options with 5 ounces of weight. Starting immediately at "View Flat Rate Envelopes" didn't bring up the First Class International rate.
So I re-started with "Calculate price Based on Shape and Size" Then "Large Envelopes" then "None of the Following"

A First-Class MailŪ International Large Envelope**
Max. length 15", height 12" or thickness 3/4"
Value of contents can not exceed $400.00

came up right at the bottom of the page at a cost of $5.10.

This is about the same price that it used to cost Laura to send ink samples Internationally, and I've received bubble mailers with three or four vials in there for this price. Tracked.

KrazyIvan
January 11th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I've noticed that when you do not use USPS packaging, the cost to ship is higher. Totally unscientific as I did not compare the actual sizes of the packaging.

FredRydr
January 11th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I've noticed that when you do not use USPS packaging, the cost to ship is higher. Totally unscientific as I did not compare the actual sizes of the packaging.
There is no USPS packaging for international first class; there is for more expensive international Priority.

mulrich
January 11th, 2018, 10:15 PM
I shipped a small box from the US to the Netherlands yesterday for $13.50.

Chrissy
January 11th, 2018, 11:31 PM
I've sent things home to the UK by USPS 1st Class International. It's much cheaper than any other service, but I think you have to take the parcel to the Post Office. It's not a "pick-up" service. And if you have to re-use your own small box or bubble mailer, then that's fine too. :)