PDA

View Full Version : Innovative Journaling - Horrible Experience!

Bisquitlips
January 8th, 2018, 07:23 PM
I have dealt with Arthur at Innovative Journaling (prior name Renaissance Art) for over 10 years and purchase many of his leather items.

Back on October 14th, 2017 I placed an order for their Urban Explore bag and tool roll up at the cost of $479.00 including shipping via PayPal. They promised me it would sent in time to give as a Christmas gift. I began sending email requests for an update in late November and received only one very brief one line response that he was working on it.

To be brief, after at least a dozen emails since December 17th, I have only received one response from Arthur asking me if I hadn't received an email he claimed to have sent to me a few days before. I had received no emails from him and I really have begun to believe he didn't send it at all, but was using that technique to stall me. After 5 more emails since January 1st, requesting an update or at least an explanation I have come to the point that I must escalate this to PayPal and have them undertake getting me a refund. Per PayPal's rules, I have to escalate prior to January 13th, 2018 in order to have them intervene.

I have never had to do this with any vendor before, especially one that I have had such a good and lengthy relationship.

Outside of opening a case with PayPal, are their any other avenues that you would take in order to effect a refund? I am actually to the point where I am starting to believe that the bag has not even been made and that Innovative Journaling has no intention of honoring my order or refunding the funds.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mmd
January 8th, 2018, 09:05 PM
I think the easiest way to do is just through PayPal. You can still try to contact them and see if they can open a case for you. There are other ways I can think of. For example, if you paid through PayPal using a credit card, the credit card company normally has fraud protection. You can call up the company, explain the situation and through some rather lengthy procedure, they might refund you. Some checking account also has that.

VertOlive
January 8th, 2018, 09:58 PM
If you believe they've taken your money but don't intend on sending you a bag, you don't have a good relationship any more. Open a case with PayPal ASAP.

Chrissy
January 8th, 2018, 10:53 PM
If you believe they've taken your money but don't intend on sending you a bag, you don't have a good relationship any more. Open a case with PayPal ASAP.
+1. Yes this is what I would do. In fact, I would have done it already. :)
Have they really had $479 of your money since October? That is so shocking. :laser:

Bisquitlips
January 9th, 2018, 12:31 AM

Done! Thank you for your advice!

Bisquitlips
January 9th, 2018, 12:34 AM
+1. Yes this is what I would do. In fact, I would have done it already. :)
Have they really had $479 of your money since October? That is so shocking. :laser:

Yes Chrissy.... I had a very good relationship with Arthur and have purchased about 15 of his leather works. He has always be very prompt in the past. I don't know what is going on with him.

It truly pains me to have to go this route, but earlier this evening I went to the New Mexico / Colorado BBB site and Innovative Journaling / Renaissance Art has an F rating with them. I should have done my homework, but just went on my past experience with him. 10 years later I have been ripped off.

Lady Onogaro
January 9th, 2018, 04:55 PM
This happened to another member of this group, only with a journal. He, too, had a good relationship with Arthur and had bought a number of items over the years. This was before Arthur changed the name to Innovative Journaling. It's so weird how this keeps happening with this company.

Chrissy
January 10th, 2018, 02:09 AM
It's odd how it seems to go in phases. Could he be ill? Not that this should prevent him from refunding payments if he can't do the work.

fountainpagan
January 10th, 2018, 05:01 AM
I am sorry you have trouble with your order.
I know, because many complained on FPN, that Renaissance Art after their little journal campaign (they would send you a little A6 journal for free, if you paid the shipping costs. They where very nice little journals), Arthur didn't respond to orders (but bombed you with endless mailson introspective matters), had quality problems, and communication as well.
Apparently changing the name didn't make him change attitude. Pity.

Chrissy
January 10th, 2018, 05:21 AM
I know, because many complained on FPN, that Renaissance Art after their little journal campaign (they would send you a little A6 journal for free, if you paid the shipping costs. They where very nice little journals), Arthur didn't respond to orders (but bombed you with endless mailson introspective matters), had quality problems, and communication as well.

Ooooh of course it's him. Doh!:facepalm: I didn't make the connection. Yes I was email bombed for a while too. :(

jar
January 10th, 2018, 06:44 AM

Ooooh of course it's him. Doh!:facepalm: I didn't make the connection. Yes I was email bombed for a while too. :(

Mark as "Junk" is your friend.

Bisquitlips
January 10th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Thank you all for the support.

Just as an update, his Webmaster on his FB site contacted him in my behalf and Arthur promised to send it out by today.

Well.... He did print a shipping label, but that is all that happened.

I am befuddled but his actions. He has almost $500.00 of my money, but will not even answer a simple email.

Here is what my tracking number shows as of tonight. Another stalling tactic!

Tracking Number: 9405511699000460039698
Status
Label Created, not yet in system

A status update is not yet available on your Priority Mail® package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

Sign up for Informed Delivery® to receive notifications for packages addressed to you.

I will update more as I have information.

Thank you again!

jar
January 11th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Thank you all for the support.

Just as an update, his Webmaster on his FB site contacted him in my behalf and Arthur promised to send it out by today.

Well.... He did print a shipping label, but that is all that happened.

I am befuddled but his actions. He has almost $500.00 of my money, but will not even answer a simple email.

Here is what my tracking number shows as of tonight. Another stalling tactic!

Tracking Number: 9405511699000460039698
Status

A status update is not yet available on your Priority Mail® package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

Sign up for Informed Delivery® to receive notifications for packages addressed to you.

I will update more as I have information.

Thank you again!

Check's in the mail...

Sorry but been there and seen them notices. Next, sorry I used the wrong number. I will get you the correct number.

Chrissy
January 11th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Yes. Sadly, I've seen this sort of thing too. :(

Bisquitlips
January 21st, 2018, 02:51 PM
Finally a refund was provided. It appears that Innovative Journaling / Arthur did not contact PayPal by the deadline, which was one week from my filing a case with them, so PayPal refunded the full purchase price and shipping!

Thank you again for all the great input and wisdom in pursuing this.

Lady Onogaro
January 21st, 2018, 03:40 PM
Finally a refund was provided. It appears that Innovative Journaling / Arthur did not contact PayPal by the deadline, which was one week from my filing a case with them, so PayPal refunded the full purchase price and shipping!

I'm glad to hear you got your money back. Something is clearly wrong there.

Chrissy
January 21st, 2018, 04:09 PM

It's good to hear you didn't lose any money. I suspect Innovative Journaling/Arthur may have lost at least one customer due to this problem. :(

KrazyIvan
January 21st, 2018, 07:25 PM
It's sad to read this. I've purchased a few things there and had no problems but I'll tread lightly hear on out.

fountainpagan
January 22nd, 2018, 01:49 AM
I am glad you recovered your money.:)

VertOlive
January 31st, 2018, 08:09 PM
Happy to hear it ended well for you.

Bisquitlips
February 8th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Just a little more history for the many that have supported me and asked questions. This may help. Innovative Journaling was doing business as Renaissance Art until they changed their name about 3 years ago.

Renaissance Art has / had an F Rating and upon reading the complaints they almost exactly like my experience. I have to partially blame myself for this experience. I should have done my homework.

https://www.bbb.org/new-mexico-southwest-colorado/business-reviews/leather-clothing/renaissance-art-in-santa-fe-nm-99133682/reviews-and-complaints

Lady Onogaro
February 9th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I don't think you have to beat yourself up on this. I once worked for a law firm that represented a very shady guy who did spray on pool liners. When enough pool liners went bad, he changed the name of the company and moved it to another state. He drifted back and forth between Missouri and Florida for years like this.

How would you even know to see what the company's name was three years before? Give yourself a break. You did nothing wrong--Arthur did.

carlos.q
February 9th, 2018, 09:46 AM
As a result of this thread I did not buy a leather cover for my EDC notebook from this seller. Found a nice (and cheaper) alternative from a 5 star seller on Amazon.