PDA

View Full Version : rerquest to the forum admin and warning to other memebers

fathi
January 17th, 2018, 04:27 AM
Dear friends and fountain pen members and admins
may i ask about the confidentiality and privacy of the messaging and inbox of the forum members as i searched the forum and i did not see any sign regarding this
so please if any of the admin can answer my question and who have the privilges to see the member messages .

Fermata
January 17th, 2018, 04:31 AM
may i ask about the confidentiality and privacy of the messaging and inbox of the forum members as i searched the forum and i did not see any sign regarding this
so please if any of the admin can answer my question and who have the privilges to see the member messages .

My suggestion is that you treat private messages as if they are neither private nor confidential.

Chrissy
January 17th, 2018, 05:26 AM

My suggestion is that you treat private messages as if they are neither private nor confidential.
+1. Sounds like a plan. :)

Sadiq
January 17th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Aren’t private messages private?

ShugPug
January 17th, 2018, 08:49 AM

My assumption would be that they are "private" in that they are not public - ie not just anyone can see them. Again assumption would be that Moderators, Owners, Administrators etc would be able to see the messages in addition to the participants.

And of course various government agencies...

Sadiq
January 17th, 2018, 08:57 AM

My assumption would be that they are "private" in that they are not public - ie not just anyone can see them. Again assumption would be that Moderators, Owners, Administrators etc would be able to see the messages in addition to the participants.

And of course various government agencies...

Thank god :) I thought there was reason to panic.

dfo
January 17th, 2018, 09:16 AM
I do not really understand the warning here regarding personal messages on FpGeeks. There is only one administrator to this forum and I doubt he has the time to peruse personal messages. Why do you think that forum members can read your messages besides the recipient?

jar
January 17th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I do not really understand the warning here regarding personal messages on FpGeeks. There is only one administrator to this forum and I doubt he has the time to peruse personal messages. Why do you think that forum members can read your messages besides the recipient?

I can forward any message I receive to anyone I want without even telling the originator.

Sadiq
January 17th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I only use PM’s for FP related issues, I don’t really talk about others :) not sure what others get up to? So even if my PM’s get forwarded, it’s not that big a deal.

I get that it may be a little daunting for some, having members forward their msgs like normal a thread “” quote...that’s uncool & childish.

Fermata
January 17th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Messages do get forwarded, particularly if they are malicious or discussing others and as Jar says this is completely without the knowledge of the original sender.

Trust me, it happens, in life and on here.

dfo
January 17th, 2018, 09:56 AM

I can forward any message I receive to anyone I want without even telling the originator.

Why is this problematic or any different from an email?

jar
January 17th, 2018, 10:01 AM

For me it isn't an issue. But then I'm an adult and so I never assume anything posted in any medium online is confidential.

Sadiq
January 17th, 2018, 10:38 AM
OP - is there a back story perhaps?

Farmboy
January 17th, 2018, 11:43 PM

For me it isn't an issue. But then I'm an adult and so I never assume anything posted in any medium online is confidential.

Remember when we wrote coded messages on a single sheet of paper while on a glass plate for stability and then burned the paper after the message was read and scattered the ashes outside and for good measure smashed the glass JUST to avoid being listened to by the 'other side'?

We are more sophisticated now. My 'side' routinely passes messages to one another using message boards.

Kudos to anyone that can find the real meaning of the above post.

grainweevil
January 18th, 2018, 03:19 AM
Putin reintroduced typewriters to the Kremlin owing to just such worries. Evidently he hasn't read various stories where the hero deciphers the message by reading the old ribbon.

Personally I like to say howdy to the boys and girls at GCHQ now and again in emails and PMs, so they don't feel forgotten. (And now I've mentioned them, Putin, and the Kremlin in the same post, this is probably one of those times. Morning, kids! Keep up the good work. Nothing to see here except some low grade paranoia.)

jar
January 18th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Remember when we wrote coded messages on a single sheet of paper while on a glass plate for stability and then burned the paper after the message was read and scattered the ashes outside and for good measure smashed the glass JUST to avoid being listened to by the 'other side'?

We are more sophisticated now. My 'side' routinely passes messages to one another using message boards.

Kudos to anyone that can find the real meaning of the above post.

And hope the person does not read it aloud in an empty room with his back to the window where the vibrations of the window could be heard.

Chrissy
January 18th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Putin reintroduced typewriters to the Kremlin owing to just such worries. Evidently he hasn't read various stories where the hero deciphers the message by reading the old ribbon.

Personally I like to say howdy to the boys and girls at GCHQ now and again in emails and PMs, so they don't feel forgotten. (And now I've mentioned them, Putin, and the Kremlin in the same post, this is probably one of those times. Morning, kids! Keep up the good work. Nothing to see here except some low grade paranoia.)
Now you've mentioned Putin, Kremlin and GCHQ in the same post, you're probably being scanned by the CIA as I speak. Come to think of it...so am I! :spy:

FredRydr
January 18th, 2018, 06:06 AM
I suggest one should concentrate their concerns on protecting ID, bank accounts and credit accounts from motivated thieves, and less about the security of FPGeeks' so-called "private" messages.

jar
January 18th, 2018, 06:58 AM
I suggest one should concentrate their concerns on protecting ID, bank accounts and credit accounts from motivated thieves, and less about the security of FPGeeks' so-called "private" messages.

I did all that and they still found my information but when the went to clean out my accounts they felt sorry that I was so poor and so they are sending me a "Courier Message Trunk" that has over 6.34 million dollars in it. The FBI and the UN are even monitoring the transfer to keep me safe.

Sadiq
January 18th, 2018, 07:47 AM

I did all that and they still found my information but when the went to clean out my accounts they felt sorry that I was so poor and so they are sending me a "Courier Message Trunk" that has over 6.34 million dollars in it. The FBI and the UN are even monitoring the transfer to keep me safe.

Lol! Only 6,34 million? What you gona buy?

jar
January 18th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Yeah, only 6.34 million but it's cold out and I don't know where I packed my long sleeve shirts or long pants so I have no intention of going out in the cold unless it is an amount worthwhile.

Sadiq
January 18th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Yeah, only 6.34 million but it's cold out and I don't know where I packed my long sleeve shirts or long pants so I have no intention of going out in the cold unless it is an amount worthwhile.

:) I’d rather stay warm too.

On another note - what happened to the OP? I’d still like to know what happened to cause such panic? :)

VertOlive
January 18th, 2018, 09:02 PM
I can't believe I read this entire thread.....

Chrissy
January 19th, 2018, 01:02 AM
I can't believe I read this entire thread.....
It is a bit mind-boggling. :confused: