PDA

View Full Version : Good source for a Duofold Centennial

de_pen_dent
May 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM
I am looking to buy a Duofold Centennial, in the mosaic finish.

I have deep-rooted philosophical problems with paying full list for big-brand products (although I do support independent small businesses), so does anyone have a recommendation on a good source for said pen?

Thanks!

Russ
May 4th, 2013, 08:46 AM
I'm afraid you won't find one at bargain prices. I had a used one a few years ago; it was expensive and held its value quite well.

de_pen_dent
May 5th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Well, not necessarily expecting a bargain; I'd be happy with a reasonable discount - ie, something other than full list. But yeah, even that seems to hard to find for this particular pen, so I'm either going to have to wait for a used unit to pop up somewhere, or suck it up. I kinda want it, but not badly enough to pay full price, so I guess I'm going to wait.

hari317
May 5th, 2013, 07:13 AM
have you tried ebay.co.uk ?

de_pen_dent
May 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Hari - based on your suggestion, I just did... nada. All at around $600. But I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Btw, if you recall that one pen we were discussing a couple of months ago, I'd like to buy it from you but only next month (sorry, I'd have emailed you but am traveling and dont have access to old emails). Is confirmed from my end.

hari317
May 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Hi Hari - based on your suggestion, I just did... nada. All at around $600. But I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Btw, if you recall that one pen we were discussing a couple of months ago, I'd like to buy it from you but only next month (sorry, I'd have emailed you but am traveling and dont have access to old emails). Is confirmed from my end.
Theek hai, I am in no hurry. enjoy your travels.

gwgtaylor
May 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I got my centennials on eBay. New old stock boxed with penman cartridges. I got a gold plated mark one and a black and gold mark two. Both for under 300 USD each. Brand new unused condition. eBay is the only place to get a deal unless you happen upon a liquidation at a brick and mortar store.

de_pen_dent
May 5th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I'll keep looking. I've seen regular Duofolds on sale, but the Mosaics seldom go below $600. The regular one doesnt really float my boat - not at its asking price.

I do like the Mosaic, but again, $600 is too much for a pen that I am not all THAT wild about: a large part of why I want to get it is to complete my collection of current-production iconic pens.

gwgtaylor
May 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Be patient and set up alerts to notify you when new mosaic duofolds are listed. Also try searching for different spellings. Do that and you should have one within a year probably

de_pen_dent
May 6th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Dang, I didnt know I could set up alerts - that's awesome! Will do so. Thanks for that tip (and the one about spelling variants as well). Well, part of the fun is the hunt, right?

gwgtaylor
May 6th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Dang, I didnt know I could set up alerts - that's awesome! Will do so. Thanks for that tip (and the one about spelling variants as well). Well, part of the fun is the hunt, right?

Part of the fun for sure! :-) on the app you put a star on the search and save it. Then you have the option to set a notification when new products are listed matching your criteria. Really useful stuff. Good luck!!

sloegin
May 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM
If you could live with the color I have an orange one I would part with for list price plus shipping.

de_pen_dent
May 7th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the offer, sloegin - I'm quite tempted, but I really want the mosaic one. I know if I get this, I'll start to hunt for the mosaic one in a couple of months again... appreciate it, though :)