PDA

View Full Version : A Fine way to write!

UK Mike
May 3rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
I suspect that most of us are familiar with the fact that if you flip over a fountain pen nib, it is usually possible to write a much finer line using the "back" of the nib. This is exploited in some Japanese nibs that are designed to work like this. Usually the writing is scratchy on an unprepared nib.

Being in possession of a range of micromesh papers I decided to smooth the back of a Lamy Safari M nib to see what I could get out of it. The Lamy M nib has a generous blob of tipping and lends itself to experiments like this - and it is easy to replace if it all goes pear shaped.

Check first that your tines are perfectly aligned. Working from 1500 grit right down to 12000 grit, the top of the nib was made to be as smooth as the correct side and now gives an acceptably smooth fine line, much smoother than it was previously and comparable with an Extra Fine. Two pens in one.

Anyone else tried this?

fountainpenkid
May 3rd, 2013, 05:03 AM
I use my vac nib like that because the early ones were made double sided. It is a great idea for sure.

InvisibleMan
May 3rd, 2013, 10:09 AM
I smooth the back of my nibs when they allow. I do find that some just don't want to write that way, but I try. I have some M nibs that write a very nice and smooth F line turned upside down.

KrazyIvan
May 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
The first semi custom pen I bought was from drgoretex and he did this for me. I started doing it for pens that needed a bit thinner line. Then I got into stubs and that stopped. :D