PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh, NC Pen Show

jacksterp
May 3rd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Hello everyone!

The upcoming Raleigh (Triangle Area) Pen Show is upon us the end of this month. As I have never been to a pen show, I am looking forward to it. I hope other local pen enthusiasts/users are as well.

I was just wondering who else is planning to attend? Maybe we could plan a local meetup close by or in the hotel somewhere.

I look forward to your replies.
Jack

http://raleighpenshow.com/

GardenWeasel
May 6th, 2013, 07:59 AM
We will be there. We missed last year, but attended the year before. I have great memories of the show and looking forward to more! Soon I'll be making a list of pens needing that little extra tweeking, to bring to the show for the nibmeisters Spa/Care. :)
I hope to find that very special pen that I need - though I won't know what it is until I "find" it. LOL!

ardgedee
May 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I'm considering it. Since it's between my home and my office I might drop in on Friday and see what's up, and then maybe attend with my partner on Saturday. Contingent on whether I can make the time.

GardenWeasel
May 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Make the time! It is a great show!

WendyNC
May 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Bought my ticket for the whole sheebang as I'm close enough to commute. Looking forward to it again this year.

WendyNC
May 29th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Giving this one a bump. The pre-show starts tomorrow and the party is all weekend, starting at mid-day on Friday.

jacksterp
May 30th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Be there Friday for sure!!!

earthdawn
May 30th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Hope everyone lucky enough to go has a GREAT time this weekend !!!

Any pics would be appreciated !!!

ardgedee
May 31st, 2013, 04:53 AM
Planning on heading out this afternoon. Depends on how quickly I can get out of work.

Sleepyside
May 31st, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'm not going until tomorrow. I have Bulls tickets for tonight.

jeffery
May 31st, 2013, 10:05 AM
Looking forward to my first show and expanding my collection.

ardgedee
May 31st, 2013, 06:38 PM
Just got back from the first day of the show. The crowd was pretty mellow and generally in a good mood. Got to meet a couple members of the Durham pen club, talked with Tyler Thompson of Organics Studio inks, and David Silber replaced the sac on a Waterman 34 that I'd picked up recently; I can't wait to finish cleaning it and putting it to good use.

Not sure yet if I'll be attending on Saturday -- there might be work obligations -- but I hope to make the pen repair seminar on Sunday.

jacksterp
June 1st, 2013, 09:38 AM
Had an absolute blast!

Spent a good half hour talking to David Issacson (what an amazing collection he has - only saw a VERY small part of it) and close to the same with Richard Binder and his wife. Where by the way, I simply could not resist picking up a Namiki Falcon (Binderized on the spot right in front of me!) I can literally lay the pen in my palm and it will write.

Spent some time with Pendleton Brown - a great guy with enthusiasm in spades for fountain pens. Convinced me a get a bottle of Pendleton's Purpillusion (that really is the name). Looks and works beautifully in an Eversharp Skyline - also picked up at the show. This pen seems like it was made yesterday. What a beauty! Definitely stop by Paradise Pen and check them out if you go.

Just HAD to get my first bottle of Iroshizuku - Yama-Guri. Stunning color.

Said Hi to the Andersons (they were already out of R&K Scabiosa :( )and meant to get to Ron Zorn but didn't. Chatted with the Franklin-Christof folks and many more.

If you can find a way to attend, I strongly recommend it!

jeffery
June 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
I did not buy pens but I did buy more ink than I have pens for. I still enjoyed myself.

ardgedee
June 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Strangely enough, I ended up buying twice as many pens online as I did at the show, this past weekend. Pure coincidence, to be honest; I had offered to buy somebody's pen on the forum, they had already sold it, but offered a clutch of others as consolation... :)

The show was a little overwhelming. I already have remorse over not buying more inks; I just couldn't decide what to get at the time. I was very impressed by the colors at the Organics Studio table, and might just have to buy them online instead.

I was hoping one of the tables would be selling ink samples, although I realize in hindsight how impractical that would be within the constraints of the show floor.

The repair seminar on Sunday was very interesting. It was specifically about fixing Shaeffer snorkel pens, a variety I don't intend to start collecting, but I learned a little about pulling apart pens and installing sacs that I should be able to apply to the pens I've got here in various states of disrepair. The Friday repair seminar would have been more appropriate but I had to miss that one.