PDA

View Full Version : Remember ink of your pen?

flag99
May 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hi
when you have multiple pens inked,
how to remember the ink of the pen to use, keep the list on paper, computer lists, in mind?
which is the best method?

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
oh that's super easy. One's black, the other's blue!!!

:)

writingrav
May 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
I write the name of each pen and the ink in it with the pen on a small card that I keep inside the daily carry case with a paper clip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Red
May 3rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
I keep a sheet of paper with each pen and ink combo on it. The six pens I carry daily I have to remember.

KrazyIvan
May 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
A quick jot in my notebook is usually all I need.

seffrican
May 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
I start each day's journal entry with an ink summary: I write one line for each pen that says something like

Lamy Safari Vista 1.1 stub - Waterman South Sea Blue

That way, my journal starts with a wonderful range of colour each day, and each pen that's inked writes something every day.

You may not want to do this if you are one of thse people who has 30 pens inked at a time, of course.

jar
May 3rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Just not worry about it.

Jon Szanto
May 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Low-tech: I have a small box of index cards. When I purchase a pen, I make a card for it, and put all the basic info about the pen and it's purchase. When I ink for the first time, I note that along with the ink, and then each time I flush and change to a differing ink, I update the card. I will occasionally pull a pen out of use, and will note the flushing and non-ink status as well. It is a simple system, and I never have to turn the computer on to check on anything.

flag99
May 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
to avoid polluting new inks in pens already inked,
it is useful to note even if the pens are out of ink

caribbean_skye
May 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
I have a notebook where I write <ink brand and colour> - <make and model of the pen>. This not only helps me see what colours I like when I feel the need to buy some ink, but if I start at the most recent, I can see what ink is in each pen. I do this immediately as I ink the pen up so I don't forget.

dannzeman
May 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
I keep a notebook just for this purpose. When I change inks I go back to the previous entry to strike through it with a single stroke so I can still read it, but know it's an old entry.

thagbert
May 3rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
For long term record keeping, I have a spreadsheet on Google Docs. I can access it anywhere.

For easy access, I have a notebook I keep a record in.

tannie
May 3rd, 2013, 06:13 PM
I have a small Oxford notebook in which I write down the name of the pen at the top (when I get the pen) and then a dated line each time I change ink or nib/flush/or other noteworthy things. Sometimes I write something like 'checking pen' to see if it still writes the same as before, usually the first inking takes a day or so to settle and really bring out the colour of the ink.
This system did not, however, prevent the BBH/Sailer Sei-boku incident ;)

Bogon07
May 3rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
A quick jot in my notebook is usually all I need.
Ditto that.

Tracy Lee
May 3rd, 2013, 06:51 PM
This is an issue I very much need to work on. I have a plan, thanks to all of you in this thread and other conversations. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Maja
May 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Good question! I write them down on a piece of paper because I have so many inked up at once :redface: but I think I will start using a small notebook---goodness knows I have enough of those! :rolleyes:

Waski_the_Squirrel
May 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
I can remember what is inked with each ink. Also, most of my pens are either demonstrators or they have a window to see the ink level.

However, my trick is to not ink too many. I can remember that way, and I also match the color of the ink to the color of the pen.

caleath
May 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
I have a small cheap notebook for each pen. The date of purchase,price etc are written down. When they are inked I write down what ink etc. I suppose they are journals for each pen, actually I put 2 pens in each book. They are the size of a Field Notes sized notebook from Target.

orfew
May 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
I use a Moleskin just for this purpose. Similar to a previous poster I will write something like "MB 146 using MB Midnight Blue".

jor412
May 3rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Great suggestions. I used to just use black and blue inks in black pens, brown and red in brown and red pens, etc. But it was too limiting so now I mix them up and confuse myself. :p

flag99
May 4th, 2013, 02:57 AM
a solution could be,
notebook (moleskine etc. ..)
each page with Q-tib Swap sample of the ink used, plus two or three most important characteristics you are looking (Saturation, Flow, dry time, etc.)
and the following list of inked pens,
Pen name; - Nib Size; Date Added ink :)

The Good Captain
May 6th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I write a sentence or two in a notebook with each pen when I've filled or refilled it, with the date. Seems to work for me.