PDA

View Full Version : Pink Safari!

Hez
May 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Yay! I got a pink safari in the mail today. I ordered it from a pen site I had not heard of. Great condition. Quick shipping.

Bogon07
May 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Congratulations. Pink cross (2009) or Pink dot (2011) on the cap ? Was it new or used ? Either way don't forget to flush it out before filling it.

CORRECTION - that should read Pink dot (2009) or Pink cross (2011). "Sorry about that" to quote Maxwell Smart.

Laura N
May 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM
I love the pink!

KrazyIvan
May 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
:postpics:

Bogon07
May 4th, 2013, 02:08 AM
KI are you taking over Dan's job :)

tannie
May 4th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Congratulations. Pink cross (2009) or Pink dot (2011) on the cap ? Was it new or used ? Either way don't forget to flush it out before filling it.

Oh, I thought the dot came out in 2009 and the cross in 2011…

:confused:

Hez
May 4th, 2013, 03:53 AM

It has the dot cap. I'm confused which year it was made. It was new in packaging. I paid less than $40 which included like $8 shipping. I really like pink! :)
Hez

tannie
May 4th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Very nice!

And now... what ink? ;)

Hez
May 4th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Here is a pic of the ones I have collected so far, since starting this about a month ago. I posted it in the Lamy collection thread. I also have close ups if anyone wants to see any comparisons of what I have or a closer look.

Thanks for asking about the ink...Off to do an ink sample in the pink to post for y'all. I have about 40 ink samples so I get to play/choose... I love this board!!

Hez
May 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Here is an ink sample with the pink safari. The ink has some definite pretty shading. Felt dry to me. Had to retrace some of the downstrokes. May be responsible for some of the shading. 2369I wonder how this ink would do on a broader nib?

Hez
May 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I don't see much difference with the wider nib, when the spacing/letter height roughly the same. Lower case height one dot width; however, I did not have to do any retracing on the down stroke. Still felt a very dry ink. Anyone with experience, similar or different, with the same ink?2370
Edited to add: think I will repost these in the ink forum and see if response there as well...

tannie
May 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Do you use a converter for the ink? (I'd guess so, but just to make sure)
I have Salix and several Safaris, and in my experience it takes a day or so for the ink to 'settle' in the feed. I normally use EF or F nibs, and Salix has worked fine for me in those nibs (now, Scabiosa, that tends to run dry!). Different Safaris display different behaviour of course, and I do find the Lamy nibs easy to adjust for flow. Yours looks dry for Salix, how long ago did you put the ink in the pen?

ps. nice collection ;)

KrazyIvan
May 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM
KI are you taking over Dan's job :)
Dans busy with a new born, just lending a hand. :)

Bogon07
May 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Oh, I thought the dot came out in 2009 and the cross in 2011…

:confused:
That was a big whoops. Yes you are right 2009 dot 2011 cross.

Wow Hez eight pens in a month that is intense collecting.
Nice bit of pen work on your Epicurius quotation too.

I find if you have any concerns with the ink flow of your Safari or Al-Star then just give it a good flux out and also remove and clean the underside of thee nib. (Goulet Pens have some were helpful videos on-line)

Hez
May 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks, guys! And, yes, I tend to obsess with the start of a hobby, so eight Lamy pens in one month with a Pilot metropolitan arriving today, a Al-star coming in the mail from a trade, and a white safari outstanding from eBay (overseas purchase so who knows when it will arrive)?? Hubby is not surprised, per se, but he has asked just how many pens have I purchased? *grin*

I think I shall slow down now and branch out into different brands, whilst I pick up an Al-star here and there. I may look into vintage...I'm not sure. I still need for what I take to work to be able to be cleaned of germs without damaging the pen. Just happy to explore a new interest. An added plus is it gives my work-writing a neatening up since I have focused on pens/ink in my down time. My office notes and prescriptions have always been legible but they have been much easier to read the past month.

I find that a good pen and ink make writing all day much more effortless as the pen truly requires very little pressure, as opposed to a cheap ball point. Electronic medical record is on our near future and I think I will dread the individuality that will take away from my written work, although my boss one day a week insists on nothing but black ink. The other days I can use all shades of blue, and am encouraged to do so as this makes prescriptions harder to alter/forge. I think this curiosity/hobby was born of a need for variety while still in compliance of that rule. Does that even make sense to someone else??

I am such a nerd that I bought a Rhodia meeting pad to take to a conference with me next weekend. I think the layout of that is a brilliant idea, and I'm looking forward to taking meeting notes:) It's nice to interact with others who find pleasure in the hobby. Several of my real life acquaintances have stated that they think focus on a special pen/ink is odd. I just remind them that I don't judge how they spend their recreational energy. Anyone else come across this??
Hez

thagbert
May 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Sounds like you got bit by the MRSA Fountain Pen Bug!

mmccabe_
May 5th, 2013, 12:38 PM
You have no idea how happy that last post made me. Everything about it hit the nail on the head for me just from how you started to by jumping in and obsessing (I started about 2 months ago after creeping for a while) to why you are dong it! I've accumulated quite a few Lamy's in this time (I'll count / photograph when I get a chance) and actually picked up a Metropolitan too just on Friday when I stopped in the Art Brown Pen Store... Talk about being a kid in a candy store.

All of my friends think I'm nuts and my response is generally along the lines of "You knew I was always particular about my pens and how I'm OCD with ink colors and what I'm doing with them... so is it really that far of a stretch to see what I got into?" I'm a college in senior though so its classmates / professors reactions when they see that I'm using a fp and are a mixture of confusion and amusement.