PDA

View Full Version : MB Midnight Blue - dries too fast on the nib?

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
I recently purchased a bottle of the Midnight Blue and am still on the first filling of the converter (nearly due for a refill). I noticed within the first few days of writing, the ink flow would dry much faster on the nib and would take much longer to get it restarted again. It would dry up in less than 5 minutes if the pen was left uncapped and unused. I also found the Midnight Blue not as wet flowing as my other ink.

This never happened to my other ink, the Parker Quink royal blue. With this ink, I could leave it uncapped for almost 15 minutes. (I've never left it longer than that, so I wouldn't really know). I've never had this kind of problem.

I've read a post on here that the Midnight Blue has more sediment in it. Could this cause the drying up in such a short time?

jar
May 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
Sounds totally correct and normal.

You don't tell us what pen is involved but Parker is a wet ink and Montblanc is a dry ink. I also can't understand why anyone would leave a pen sitting uncapped for five minutes.

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
The pen is a MB Boheme. I use it as a daily writer at work. Unscrewing it all the time to cap it after taking some meeting notes and then again after sitting and listening to someone talk is a bit of a chore throughout my meetings. One time I nearly scratched out a hole in the paper I was writing on. Not good.

jar
May 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
The pen is a MB Boheme. I use it as a daily writer at work. Unscrewing it all the time to cap it after taking some meeting notes and then again after sitting and listening to someone talk is a bit of a chore throughout my meetings. One time I nearly scratched out a hole in the paper I was writing on. Not good.

Yup, a Boheme is not a good choice for that situation. Change pens.

kaisnowbird
May 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
I'm no expert here, but just my two cents -
Knowing MB MB(Midnight Blue) is an iron gall ink, having it dried up on the nib could be considerably worse than a washable ink drying up. I'd say either use a different pen, like Jar said, or use a different ink and save the MBMB for other purposes/occasions.

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM

Can you elaborate on that??? I have also filled up the converter for my Meisterstuck Classique but haven't had the chance to use it yet, as I've been using the Boheme pretty much constantly the last few weeks.

The Good Captain
May 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I'm using the MMB in an Omas exclusively now and find it behaves really well. I have to say though that I wouldn't leave any of my pens uncapped when I'm not writing, except for seconds rather than minutes, if I could help it. It is lovely ink though.

jar
May 6th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Can you elaborate on that??? I have also filled up the converter for my Meisterstuck Classique but haven't had the chance to use it yet, as I've been using the Boheme pretty much constantly the last few weeks.

Well, as you noted, the Boheme is far more just a gimmick than a practical pen; you can't cap it without retracting the nib. Leaving any pen uncapped and unused for five minutes or so is just asking for dry out and hard start.

I like mango pudding
May 6th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I've started to use my MB Meisterstuck Classique instead with MB Midnight Blue. Haven't been able to notice any patterns on it yet. I think when the ink is finished in the pen, I'll go back to the Parker Quink. I've had good ink flow with that.