PDA

View Full Version : Modern Sheaffer: I like this one

penwash
January 28th, 2018, 09:27 AM
It's called Sheaffer Agio. I like this "compact" version which reminds me of a pocket-friendly Targa.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4621/39904690862_cc6e910303_c.jpg

The color reminds me of the Terracota Red with the texture that is very interesting, it's matte, non-slippery, but definitely metallic.

The cap can be posted securely, and when capped, it has a light-click that is very satisfying.

Being a pocket-friendly pen, the pen is quite lightweight. The cap shape again reminds me of the Targa familly, with the slit on the clip (Prelude models?) and of course, the Sheaffer white dot.

So anything bad?

Yes, the absolutely boring steel nib that came with the pen. Not only it looked unremarkable, it's also pinched at the tines, resulting in a very thin and dry writing without pressure, and wet and "mushy" (the technical term describing the opposite of crisp) ink-dumping lines when pressure is applied.

Of course, I can make the original nib to write better if I spend some time with it, but I won't bother. Not when I have a real 14K Sheaffer that I can install on this pen.

Voila! This lovely pocket pen is now a really good writing instrument sporting a gold nib inherited from its grandfather, a ringtop BHR from 1914.

pajaro
January 28th, 2018, 10:16 PM
The steel nib that bored you looks like the same kind of nib found in the Prelude. I think they are OK. I get the impression from your applying pressure that you are really looking for flex in a nib. A lot of people seem to want that now. Is the 1914 gold nib flexible?

Roger W.
January 28th, 2018, 10:56 PM
Your 46 nib would have came from a pen no earlier than 1923. The 46 essentially replaced the 34 in the Sheaffer lineup and exists in both hard rubber and radite. The 46 has special chasing in the hard rubber models of interspersed wavy lines.

Roger W.

penwash
January 29th, 2018, 08:21 AM
The steel nib that bored you looks like the same kind of nib found in the Prelude. I think they are OK. I get the impression from your applying pressure that you are really looking for flex in a nib. A lot of people seem to want that now. Is the 1914 gold nib flexible?

I know the difference between a flex-able nib and a firm one. And I knew that none of the modern Sheaffer nibs are even remotely flexible.

All I was trying to say in my original post was that I apply a little bit of pressure to simulate hands that actually write with more pressure. Not trying to produce line variation.

The nibs tines is pinched together. If I tweak it with my fingers, it will behave soon enough. But my point is that I didn't want to bother because I much, much, much prefer gold nibs than steel ones, especially vintage Sheafffer nibs.

penwash
January 29th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Your 46 nib would have came from a pen no earlier than 1923. The 46 essentially replaced the 34 in the Sheaffer lineup and exists in both hard rubber and radite. The 46 has special chasing in the hard rubber models of interspersed wavy lines.

Roger W.

Thank you for the education. I was basing the year on the imprint on the barrel which has dates from year 12 to 14 (which I have to assume that those meant 1912 and 1914).

top pen
January 29th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Have to say that finish is really attractive. How do you find the grip? Is it plastic or rubber?

penwash
January 29th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Have to say that finish is really attractive. How do you find the grip? Is it plastic or rubber?

Plastic, textured. Not slippery.