PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Parker 75 - Orangey Red?

BayesianPrior
January 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Up for sale is (what I think is) a Parker 75 with a 14 karat smooth medium nib.

The pen is NOS by which I mean I am the first owner and I have dip tested it with Waterman Florida Blue. There are some microscratches from storage - it is not in "factory new" condition.

I don't know what the lacquer is called. Having done a little research it may be Jasper Red Quartz? Or it may be something else? Tortoiseshell has also been suggested.

I'm not a Parker connaisseur and I really don't know how to price this pen.

Offers welcome - cash or a trade!

amk
January 31st, 2018, 01:38 AM
That looks like the tortoiseshell lacquer finish. (I've noticed the French pens tend to have slightly different finishes than Parker's other production, and often there seems to be a lot more orange in the mix - though that's purely from my own observation based on five years of hunting pens in French village sales.) More info on http://www.parker75.addr.com/Reference/Parker75_Ref.htm with a very interesting photo which shows how tortoiseshell, woodgrain and thuya vary very slightly, with the same colours but different patterns.

I wouldn't care to offer an opinion on price; mine came from the wild, found inhabiting a box with Bics and Pilot V-pens.

Chrissy
January 31st, 2018, 02:24 AM
I have always wondered why everyone seems to prefer the Parker 75 silver Cisele on ebay, especially as there seem to be so many of them around. They always tend to fetch higher prices than any of the other 75 models.

This 75 is the later version without the adjustable nib, and I think they look better than those with the adjustable band. :)

I have no idea on price though. Sadly, for Brits, buying items from the Channel Islands is as expensive as buying from non-EU Countries apart from the P&P being slightly lower. :(

Fermata
January 31st, 2018, 03:31 AM
I have spoken to a friend of mine who only buys Parker 75s, she normally pays between GBP65-90, the highest price was GBP150.

With respect, are you confident that this pen is New Old Stock? It could be the strong lighting but there are what appears to be wear marks on the cap or perhaps an excellent camera.

mmd
January 31st, 2018, 06:38 AM
Looks like at least mint condition to me. I think those are just microscrarches under strong light. I can tell from the reflection that the surface is pretty smooth.

BayesianPrior
January 31st, 2018, 07:23 AM
Many thanks to everyone who has offered information on the pen. This is the real value of our community: the collective knowledge and the willingness to share that knowledge. I will do some more reading tonight.

Chrissy, I understand what you mean about sales from the CI. The post office recommends that we prepay VAT on anything worth more than £30! I am in London at least once a month, so if a UK buyer is not in a rush, I can always post the pen from within the UK.

Fermata, many thanks for your comments. I bought the pen from a retailer who was cleaning out their stock of old fountain pens. I can say that I am the first retail owner of the pen. The clean converter gives me confidence that the pen was only ever dipped. However, I cannot speak to how the pen was stored over the years. There are clearly microscratches on the pen, although the flash on my camera does accentuate them. The pen is arguably not in "factory new" condition, and I have amended the ad to make that clear.

Chrissy
January 31st, 2018, 08:07 AM
Many thanks to everyone who has offered information on the pen. This is the real value of our community: the collective knowledge and the willingness to share that knowledge. I will do some more reading tonight.

Chrissy, I understand what you mean about sales from the CI. The post office recommends that we prepay VAT on anything worth more than £30! I am in London at least once a month, so if a UK buyer is not in a rush, I can always post the pen from within the UK.

Fermata, many thanks for your comments. I bought the pen from a retailer who was cleaning out their stock of old fountain pens. I can say that I am the first retail owner of the pen. The clean converter gives me confidence that the pen was only ever dipped. However, I cannot speak to how the pen was stored over the years. There are clearly microscratches on the pen, although the flash on my camera does accentuate them. The pen is arguably not in "factory new" condition, and I have amended the ad to make that clear.

Thanks for that information. It's good to know. I can now look at your sales with no fear. ;)

Linkinyeah
January 31st, 2018, 03:15 PM
I thought this was the red jasper model, at least that is what I have seen it described as on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk