PDA

View Full Version : Unintended saturated ink

FredRydr
February 2nd, 2018, 09:31 AM
So I'm filling about 15 pens with a variety of inks (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/870-pens-I-used-today?p=231086&viewfull=1#post231086) when I notice my Private Reserve Naples Blue has about a third of what I expected to remain in that bottle. It must have been a year since I last used it. The lid allowed evaporation. I thought about adding some distilled water, but I'll see how it writes (as is) in my Sheaffer Balance II with stub nib.

I rinsed the bottle for the photo.

Chrissy
February 2nd, 2018, 09:50 AM
Oooh nasty. I suspect it will hard start if it's thicker than it started off as. It will be interesting to find out though, after you've tried it. :)

mhosea
February 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM
Don't know about start-up, but it will be very wet and take a long time to dry. Knowing PR, it might even take forever to dry. When the archaeologists unearth the document 10 millennia from now, it will probably still smudge. ;)

FredRydr
February 3rd, 2018, 08:41 AM
Oooh nasty. I suspect it will hard start if it's thicker than it started off as. It will be interesting to find out though, after you've tried it. :)
Postcard of it is on the way.

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2018, 02:45 PM
Postcard of it is on the way.
Thank you Fred. :)

naimitsu
February 6th, 2018, 07:27 AM
I do this often, but usually with it in the pen.
Part of why I stopped playing Guess the Ink. Almost everything I have has been inked for probably longer than it should and enough of the water has evaporated that the resulting ink color is significantly more saturated than they started. For some, like Tolstoy, I actually prefer the saturated color!

Chrissy
February 6th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I do this often, but usually with it in the pen.
Part of why I stopped playing Guess the Ink. Almost everything I have has been inked for probably longer than it should and enough of the water has evaporated that the resulting ink color is significantly more saturated than they started. For some, like Tolstoy, I actually prefer the saturated color!

I have this problem too. :) I started writing with a pen today and didn't recognise the ink that I thought was in it. I was shocked to find out what it was when I looked it up in my journal. :jaw:

mhosea
February 6th, 2018, 03:49 PM
I like Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji much better after it concentrates a bit.

Chrissy
February 6th, 2018, 10:12 PM
I agree with you. I have had that in a piston filler for a while now and it's much richer than when it was first filled. :thumb:

naimitsu
February 7th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I agree with you. I have had that in a piston filler for a while now and it's much richer than when it was first filled. :thumb:

Same here, though I tend to put it in a very wet writer so I don't have to wait for it to concentrate... then let it concentrate because that's apparently what I do :D