PDA

View Full Version : NOT for the faint of heart!!!!

drgoretex
May 3rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/photo_zps43fb0b38.jpg

OK. There's my pen photo for the day. But it requires a bit of an explanation...

I just finished a set of walnut pens destined for urushi finishing. But as I capped this pen with a 'test' nib in place, and finding a bit of resistance to capping. Well, I thought it was just dust on the threads. That often causes this kind of resistance, so no biggie. But, it wasn't. The nib came out horribly disfigured, screaming in pain.... As it turned out, I forgot to finish drilling out the cap, and there was no room for the nib. :faint:

D'oh!

Ken

Maja
May 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
:shocked:
Oh my. Well, at least it wasn't a nice nib. It happened to me with a nib on my Retro 51 Scriptmaster (original series). I think I removed the nib and feed to clean them thoroughly and I didn't push them back in far enough. Lesson learned!

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Maja.

Just checked out your sig.

I always wondered were Perks went. That store is just a stone's throw away from me. Might see you there this month.

Maja
May 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Maja.

I always wondered were Perks went. That store is just a stone's throw away from me. Might see you there this month.
Yes, please feel free to drop in at our next pen club meeting on the 16th! Our club is free to join and there are no dues (or duties). No RSVPs necessary either, unless the meeting is at a restaurant (which we do every summer). Hope to see you there! :)

(Ken---sorry for the thread drift!)

drgoretex
May 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Maja.

Yes, please feel free to drop in at our next pen club meeting on the 16th! Our club is free to join and there are no dues (or duties). No RSVPs necessary either, unless the meeting is at a restaurant (which we do every summer). Hope to see you there! :)

(Ken---sorry for the thread drift!)

No worries - this post was just for a kick anyway :)

Ken

Sailor Kenshin
May 4th, 2013, 03:48 PM
You made a Concord nib!

KrazyIvan
May 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ouch. Oweeeeee. I mean...:cry:

GourmetPens
May 4th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Ouch. I'm cringing just thinking about the resistance you must have felt when capping it.... but yeah - insta-Concord nib!

ethernautrix
May 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Ouch.

drgoretex
May 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Yep. Good thing I have a stock of nibs.:)

Ken

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
So? Didja try writin' with it?

inky
May 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Ouch, I've done that before on a Konrad. I still have flashbacks to that moment... Hopefully you can get it strait again without too many issues.

drgoretex
May 9th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Nah. I never did get what the point of the concord nib is, and I've straightened a few nibs before with fair success. I'll just try to fix it and put it aside for my own use.

Ken