PDA

View Full Version : Anybody buying the Wancher Dream Pen?

carlos.q
February 9th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Is anybody here considering buying the Wancher Dream pen? The Tamenuri red looks very nice...

penwash
February 9th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Tempted. Very tempted.

fqgouvea
February 9th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Tempted. Very tempted.

Me too. But even if it’s cheaper than the typical Nakaya, it’s still expensive.

Wile E Coyote
February 9th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know what nib sizes are available?

Ahriman4891
February 9th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Not me. It's a pretty pen, but expensive -- too much for a JoWo holder. I don't really care about urushi per se, at least not on a pen.

KrazyIvan
February 9th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Aren't they sold out?

catbert
February 10th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know what nib sizes are available?

Looks like EF, F, M, B in steel or gold and various finishes.

Aren't they sold out?

The Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/918011507/dream-pen) ends in 19 days.

I'm tempted.

Brilliant Bill
February 10th, 2018, 01:37 PM
No, they look crude to me.

ShugPug
February 10th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Is anybody here considering buying the Wancher Dream pen?

Based on how grumpy my wife is for me buying a Pocket 66, probably not...

SIR
February 11th, 2018, 02:26 AM

Which nib and which acrylic?

ShugPug
February 11th, 2018, 07:07 AM

Which nib and which acrylic?Ice with a Masuyama steel medium stub. It is my second favourite pen after my bengal red model 2 with a gold Masuyama CI.

penwash
February 11th, 2018, 10:02 AM

1. Crude compared to what?

2. How could you tell from only photos?

SIR
February 11th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Ice with a Masuyama steel medium stub. It is my second favourite pen after my bengal red model 2 with a gold Masuyama CI.

Nice ;)

Brilliant Bill
February 11th, 2018, 01:48 PM

Crude by design mostly. Compare with Nakaya and Pilot.

I've seen lots of pictures, and I've seen David Parker's video review -- where he notes some flaws.

penwash
February 11th, 2018, 02:45 PM

Crude by design mostly. Compare with Nakaya and Pilot.

I've seen lots of pictures, and I've seen David Parker's video review -- where he notes some flaws.

Got it.

I see two things happening in the future, either Taizo-san will lower the price, making the pens affordable for a whole lot more people, or refine the process so the pens would be comparable to Nakaya or Pilot who had been producing these types of pens for decades.

jmccarty3
February 11th, 2018, 04:08 PM
I already have several urushi pens by Nakaya, Namiki, and Danitrio, so I'm not interested in this one. If I didn't have one, I would certainly consider it as a way of trying out this style of pen.

Sammyo
February 11th, 2018, 08:34 PM
At the Japanese price you can get a Platinum Izumo Urushi... which is not a steel Jowo nib.
It is one of Platinum's flagship pens and comes with a Platinum 18K nib and is a much more interesting pen in general.

SIR
February 12th, 2018, 04:05 AM
At the Japanese price you can get a Platinum Izumo Urushi... which is not a steel Jowo nib.
It is one of Platinum's flagship pens and comes with a Platinum 18K nib and is a much more interesting pen in general.

And is urushi and bigger than a MB 149, and has a pen kimono and a wooden box and some paper!!

carlos.q
February 12th, 2018, 05:11 AM

Could you provide a link for this site? The cheapest I could find the Platinum Izumo was for $504 vs the Wancher with 18k nib for $350.

Sammyo
February 12th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Could you provide a link for this site? The cheapest I could find the Platinum Izumo was for $504 vs the Wancher with 18k nib for $350.

I did say at the Japanese price [emoji6]
https://www.amazon.co.jp/プラチナ万年筆-漆・出雲溜塗り空溜-18金-太字-PIZ-55000-27-4/dp/B0088LZIZU

Platinum Japanese price ¥42,768
Wancher Japanese price ¥42,600

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk

penwash
February 12th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Apparently I wasn't paying enough attention, I thought the Wancher Urushi comes with gold nib at least.

Not that I care in particular, if I get one, I'll replace it with a nice vintage 14K anyways :D

Jbroida
February 12th, 2018, 10:09 PM

Apparently I wasn't paying enough attention, I thought the Wancher Urushi comes with gold nib at least.

Not that I care in particular, if I get one, I'll replace it with a nice vintage 14K anyways :D

everything other than the base model (less expensive than the urushi ones) come standard with gold nibs... for the base model, its an option that adds about $100 to the price. For what its worth, i bought the base model with a gold nib. I dont want urushi... have a ton of urushi stuff at home, but it means that instead of being a pen i can use the hell out of every day, it has to be another thing i have to be careful with and care for.

On a side note, i happen to think the feeds for this pen are interesting too.

SIR
February 13th, 2018, 01:28 AM
but it means that instead of being a pen i can use the hell out of every day, it has to be another thing i have to be careful with and care for.

i know, i understand, and i am the same; but ironically that is contrary to the original purpose of urushi, which is lasting protection for regular use.

Jbroida
February 13th, 2018, 01:30 AM
but it means that instead of being a pen i can use the hell out of every day, it has to be another thing i have to be careful with and care for.

i know, i understand, and i am the same; but ironically that is contrary to the original purpose of urushi, which is lasting protection for regular use.

Yeah... I have a ton of urushi products at home that get everyday use... but in a pen, the scratches just look bad to me. I’ve got bowls, plates, cups, spoons, and even Knife handles in hon-urushi, but I can’t wrap my head around an urushi pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pajaro
February 23rd, 2018, 05:13 PM
What kind of dream?

carlos.q
February 23rd, 2018, 06:06 PM
I finally decided against buying the Wancher pen. And it's not because of the urushi, which is very beautiful, but because I find a clipless pen to be a bit unpractical. The gold nib is probably very nice but I would rather try out a japanese nib.

So in the end I decided to buy a Platinum 3776 in Chartres blue. Someday, when the budget permits, I would like to try to get a Nakaya. :thumb:

SIR
February 25th, 2018, 04:43 AM
TBH and i know Taizo you will read this, i am somewhat concerned by the too quick turnaround time in requesting and assessing the market to producing the final prototype/future model.

For sure, the outcome could've been predicted to a very high degree of accuracy by one with only a layman's knowledge of fountain pen aficionados tastes, but even still... for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.

Wile E Coyote
February 25th, 2018, 11:04 AM
TBH and i know Taizo you will read this, i am somewhat concerned by the too quick turnaround time in requesting and assessing the market to producing the final prototype/future model.

For sure, the outcome could've been predicted to a very high degree of accuracy by one with only a layman's knowledge of fountain pen aficionados tastes, but even still... for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.

I concur. The primary reason I didn't order 1 or 2 was the pedestrian nib quality and size selection.

I like big nibs and I can not lie.

kazoolaw
February 26th, 2018, 08:35 AM
.. for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

SIR
February 26th, 2018, 09:04 AM
.. for me, at least, this pen needs a nib of superfluous and demonstrable quality.

Nepravda?! Porquoi?

kazoolaw
February 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Superfluous: Something that is superfluous is unnecessary or is no longer needed

SIR
February 27th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Superfluous: Something that is superfluous is unnecessary or is no longer needed

Would it be superfluous of me to say "blah, blah, blah, whatever" ?

kazoolaw
February 27th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Why yes, yes it would.

adhoc
March 7th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Not me. It's a pretty pen, but expensive -- too much for a JoWo holder. I don't really care about urushi per se, at least not on a pen.

This is pretty much the reason why the amount of pens I buy has dropped significantly. I just don't need any more jowo / bock nibs or nibs with ball tipping.

ethernautrix
March 9th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Nepravda?! Porquoi?

Naprawdę? Whoa! Is that coming into popular parlance?

gbryal
March 9th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I am probably the target audience -- won't spring for a Nakaya but want to try Urushi. But not curious enough even for that price.

At some point I realized everything in my house is made out of a variety of materials, and I never run my hand over my bathtub or doorknob or lamp and go "oooh... what is this material," so why do I care on my pens? Same with colors and translucency. I mean, my $2 toothbrush is colorful and pretty and would make a great pen, but would I pay $300 if someone made a pen out of what they made my toothbrush from?

Brilliant Bill
March 9th, 2018, 11:25 PM
I am probably the target audience -- won't spring for a Nakaya but want to try Urushi. But not curious enough even for that price.

At some point I realized everything in my house is made out of a variety of materials, and I never run my hand over my bathtub or doorknob or lamp and go "oooh... what is this material," so why do I care on my pens? Same with colors and translucency. I mean, my $2 toothbrush is colorful and pretty and would make a great pen, but would I pay $300 if someone made a pen out of what they made my toothbrush from?

You better be careful. That's the kind of nakedly intelligent reasoning that gets people in trouble!

dapprman
March 10th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Well I stuck with it and decided to go for the green urushi finish (was thinking purple). For me the nib was not an issue. Yes it might be nice with a Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum nib, but almost certainly that would add another $50-100 to the price, going against the argument of an 'affordable' urushi pen. As to the lack of decoration on the nib - I actually prefer that. It's how it writes, not how intricate the work is on it. After all a very decorative nib that writes badly is of no use to me.

carlos.q
March 10th, 2018, 04:57 AM
Well I stuck with it and decided to go for the green urushi finish (was thinking purple). For me the nib was not an issue. Yes it might be nice with a Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum nib, but almost certainly that would add another $50-100 to the price, going against the argument of an 'affordable' urushi pen. As to the lack of decoration on the nib - I actually prefer that. It's how it writes, not how intricate the work is on it. After all a very decorative nib that writes badly is of no use to me.

Don't forget to review the pen as soon as you receive it! I'll probably kick myself for not buying it... :facepalm:

Tseg
March 12th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I'm newer to pens and definitely got caught up in the urushi hype, but now a bit later I'm trying to determine what really resonates with me about pens. I think for me nib quality and capability is at the top with balance and comfort second... so function over form. I'm sure a Namiki Yukari Royale nails it... the jury is still out with this one, so am interested. At the end of the day one either ends up with an homage to look at from afar (and too expensive for that) or a strongly performing high quality homage that I want to use. I'm not clear which this one is.

RNHC
March 12th, 2018, 07:42 AM
No clip? No sale.

Sagebrush64
March 19th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Aaahh. I found out about this one way too late! Would love a Acatame!

da vinci
March 23rd, 2018, 01:37 AM
Help!

I am doing the survey. I really want a yellow pen. I also want a red feed. And I'd like a roll stopper but they only come in silver.

So at the moment I have a yellow pen, silver roller stopper (that looks like the winder crown from a watch) yellow gold monotone nib and red feed.

That sounds like a not good mix of colours. Suggested alternative is bi tone nib, silver roller stopper and black feed.

Which combination of nib and feed do you think would be most aesthetically pleasing? I am dead set on a yellow pen... :)

dapprman
March 8th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Well after 13 months, plus 3 weeks of usage, here is my review (https://dappr.net/2019/03/08/uwdp/) of the True Urushi Wancher Dream Pen.

SendaiNY
July 9th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Hopefully you've used this for another 3 months. I am interested in the Dream Pen, at the post-crowdfunding price and adjustment period. Does your review still hold true?

I am looking at a purchase of the Platinum Izumo Izumo Urushi directly from Japan. I think I'll make the purchase later this evening.

Thanks for the initial posting and review.

dapprman
July 9th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Hopefully you've used this for another 3 months. I am interested in the Dream Pen, at the post-crowdfunding price and adjustment period. Does your review still hold true?

I am looking at a purchase of the Platinum Izumo Izumo Urushi directly from Japan. I think I'll make the purchase later this evening.

Thanks for the initial posting and review.
I did stop using it as I've too many other pens I prefer to use on daily basis. Interesting to note - I just got it out the drawer, opened it and checked the ink level - still looks about right, and also started straight off, so the cap certainly seals the pen well. I think my review (having re-read it and had a writing session with the pen) still holds true.