PDA

View Full Version : Funky solid formation in Organics Studio Maebel's Scarlet

fountainpenkid
February 12th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Anyone else experience this? I've done nothing to the ink other than not use it for a few months. No word yet back from the guy who makes them (I've forgotten his name).

FredRydr
February 12th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Feed it and see if it grows.

Jon Szanto
February 12th, 2018, 08:54 PM
If you think it's something, it probably is.

fountainpenkid
February 12th, 2018, 09:36 PM
Feed it and see if it grows.
aha! But wouldn't this, like any decent ink, contain some sort of biocide?

If you think it's something, it probably is.
In light of my picture, this seems awfully tautological.

Chrissy
February 13th, 2018, 03:34 AM
Organics Studio ink is well...."organic." Hence no biocide like "any decent ink."

A FP friend advised me he always adds phenol to Organics Studio inks when he buys them because of the possibility of this sort of thing happening.

I fear you have lost this bottle. Maybe you should wait and see what your guy at OS says?

FredRydr
February 14th, 2018, 11:37 AM
On second thought, I wouldn't mess with it. These things can have unpleasant surprises.

http://www.dvd-forum.at/img/uploaded/64845_b7435daa71163cf9b5f187a97e700231_blob-remake-simon-west-bild-news.jpg

Chrissy
April 15th, 2018, 03:37 PM
I would be interested to know if you ever heard back from the OS guy about your ink? :blink:

fountainpenkid
April 15th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this topic! I did contact him, via facebook messenger (the only available means of communicating I could find), but, weeks later, have received no response. I guess I should try again.

Funnily enough today I got tired of staring at the stuff and poured it down the sink at my dorm. Almost went across the street to the lab to attempt a DNA extraction out of curiosity, but decided I had little scientific reason to do so. ;)

Pterodactylus
April 16th, 2018, 12:51 AM
Thatīs one of the possible problems with this 1 man show ink designers.....no customer suport.
No response on a direct question is more than poor for somebody who want to sell us his stuff.

These inks are not commonly available in Europe so Iīve not a high chance to run into the embarrassing situation of buying one of these.
But reports like this for sure would prevent me to do so.

Not because there was something wrong with the ink, but because of ignoring a customers contact request.
I hate something like that.

FredRydr
April 16th, 2018, 06:44 AM
I can forgive a mistake in production, but the silent treatment? That's it for me.

Chrissy
April 16th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Sadly, I've had a similar experience, and posted about it here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/24154-My-experience-with-L-Artisan-Pastellier-Callifolio-Equinoxe-(6))

Chemyst
July 21st, 2018, 12:39 AM
Organics Studio ink is well...."organic." Hence no biocide like "any decent ink."

Ha! Is that really the meaning of organic that he is going for?

Organic as in organic farming? I always assumed it was organic from organic chemistry, where he got interested in dyes and synthesis...

Learn something every day! 😀

Chrissy
July 21st, 2018, 02:02 AM

Ha! Is that really the meaning of organic that he is going for?

Organic as in organic farming? I always assumed it was organic from organic chemistry, where he got interested in dyes and synthesis...

Learn something every day! 😀
It seems strange to me too. Maybe not what he's going for?

I had to buy my phenol while I was in the US, then risk bringing this dangerous chemical back to the UK with me in my suitcase.

We made it home without a disaster, so I've since used it in my bottle of Organics Studio ink.

KKay
July 21st, 2018, 04:18 PM
OS has a couple of inks I'd like to try. I do have phenol, but I don't like the way he ignores customer problems. So far I have resisted buying any. I have heard of too many issues such as this. That is a shame because they do have a few lovely inks.

Chrissy
July 22nd, 2018, 01:17 AM
I've heard from a friend that he has also ignored her customer service type problems and that's very sad. As a result of those problems my friend couldn't recommend his ink to me, and I assume other fountain pen users.

There was a particular ink I wanted and I now have it. After all, I had already bought the phenol, so I thought I may as well buy the ink that I intend to treat with it. I would think twice abut buying other inks from this range though. :(

Scooby921
July 25th, 2018, 06:47 AM
OS has a couple of inks I'd like to try. I do have phenol, but I don't like the way he ignores customer problems. So far I have resisted buying any. I have heard of too many issues such as this. That is a shame because they do have a few lovely inks.
Just buy samples instead of risking a full bottle. Vanness has 4mL samples for $2.50 each. Large enough to fill a pen or two and give them a try, but small enough that you should be able to use it up before any stuff starts growing in it.

welch
July 28th, 2018, 10:45 AM
They hired Steve McQueen to demonstrate the dangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODDLgM1gKo