PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lamy Safari!

techjunkie25
February 21st, 2018, 05:34 PM
Just picked up my first Lamy pens.
I got:
Lamy Safari in charcoal with M nib
Lamy Aion with F nib in black

Inked up the Aion, perfect, smooth, even lines.(noodlers black)

Inked up the Safari w/Lamy Black- super gray saturation...didn’t like it. Used converter and inked up with noodlers black, still not putting a lot of ink down... now here’s where it gets fun...swapped nibs, both write perfectly, swap them back, Safari seems to be starved of ink. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/338fd49ccc2c0e4655d58767b15e48e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ahriman4891
February 21st, 2018, 05:57 PM
Did you flush the pens before using them? Lamy dip-tests every pen at the factory, there is probably dry ink in the feed, or maybe leftover oil or something from the manufacturing process. Flush it with soapy water, and if you want to be completely safe, soak the nib and feed overnight. Then flush with plain water, let dry and use.

techjunkie25
February 21st, 2018, 06:02 PM
Did you flush the pens before using them? Lamy dip-tests every pen at the factory, there is probably dry ink in the feed, or maybe leftover oil or something from the manufacturing process. Flush it with soapy water, and if you want to be completely safe, soak the nib and feed overnight. Then flush with plain water, let dry and use.

Yes, I did flush them, but I did it again just now and it seems to have worked it’s way out.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drubbing
March 4th, 2018, 10:05 PM
I have a new safari and had the same experience. Wrote really nice with a M, then swapped it for a F, to try it out. For me the F is too scratchy, but it wrote nicely. Swapped back the the M and the flow isn't as good as it used to be, despite soapy cleaning and letting it dry.

Did the same with a TWSBI eco and it's been excellent so far.