PDA

View Full Version : Removing Ink Stains from Celluloid

dsolmei
May 5th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Hi Folks,

I have a celluloid pen that burped in my pocket today. I didn't realize that it burped until many hours after it likely did so. Much of the celluloid near the section is now stained with Sailor Jentle Blue-Black, which I believe is an iron gall ink. The stains do not immediately wipe away and they are not easily removed with soapy water. Do any of you folks have recommendations for cleaning ink stains off celluloid?

Thanks.

OcalaFlGuy
May 5th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Use some Simichrome and a flannel rag. (The flannel rag is a secret polishing weapon.) Try to keep the Simichrome out of the threaded area
even if you use some masking tape to tape that area off. If it's the threaded area that's stained, use a toothbrush you won't use again for
anything else along with some Simichrome on the threads Very Lightly JUST til you remove the stain. You don't want to be aggressively
polishing the threaded area.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Laura N
May 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM
It's great to know that, Bruce. When this happened to me with a modern celluloid pen, I used J.B.'s Perfect Pen Flush. With some gentle back and forth with a soft paper towel, the stain came off. So J.B.'s or just diluted ammonia might be another option.

Though, if the ink really is iron gall, I'm not sure I'd use anything containing ammonia without a little research or testing. I've never heard that Sailor Jentle Blue Black is an iron gall, but it's best to be cautious.

OcalaFlGuy
May 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Laura, I'd also try some InkNix (?) and that stuff John Mottishaw sells if I had it too.

The Simichrome was intended after one had used all the usual cleaning possibilities. There are some that swear at it, not for it.
It needs to be completely removed and tends to get into places that's hard to accomplish. But it does tend to work for this purpose.

I first used it to get BSB off a badly stained Estie.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

dsolmei
May 5th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks Bruce and Laura. Very useful advice. This is the first time I've had this problem and surely it won't be the last. I'll report back after I've tried your different solutions.

Cheers.