PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Glasgow!

Flounder
May 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Hi fountain pen chaps and chapettes, Flounder here finally popping round to visit the FPGeek forum! I'm off to have a wander around, check the layout etc.

Flounder

ps - Happy Greaster!

KrazyIvan
May 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
:welcome: to the Dark Side Flounder! Any new modified Chinese pens?

Flounder
May 5th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Wait a minute, I recognise that Sith Lord... Hi Ivan! Just scribbles and scrawls at the moment, nothing concrete! Did you like the Kaigelu?

KrazyIvan
May 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Definitely liked the Kaigelu. I am amazed at your work. :D

jor412
May 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hello :)

Stefan
May 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hello and Welcome from down in Filkins!

Greg Minuskin
May 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Welcome!

You will find the folks here on the FP Geeks really nice, friendly, and fun! Stick around and have fun here!

If you need any assistance, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

southpaw52
May 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Greetings and welcome aboard.

thagbert
May 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the fold!

carlc
May 5th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Now this looks interesting - Ivan or Flounder any chance of a picture or two?

KrazyIvan
May 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Now this looks interesting - Ivan or Flounder any chance of a picture or two?

He turned it into a vac filler. I'll see if I can find the video link.

carlc
May 5th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Just looked at your blog and couldn't see it (nice blog anyway - now bookmarked and RSS'd) - if it's on there I'll look again.

KrazyIvan
May 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM
It's not mine, it's Flounder's. Thanks for following. :) Here you go:

http://youtu.be/itbqhzZGvPQ

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
We welcome you. However, do you really look like this?:

carlc
May 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Magnificent!

Thanks Ivan for putting up the video.

cwent2
May 5th, 2013, 06:16 PM
:welcome: I also saw your video and read your blog - intriguing, very interesting and well done.

fountainpenkid
May 5th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Welcome!

View from the Loft
May 6th, 2013, 03:06 AM
And welcome from an exiled Glaswegian.

Flounder
May 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :cheers:

ps to Jon - Yes. What of it?

jbb
May 6th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Welcome!

caribbean_skye
May 6th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Welcome welcome.

BTW. what's the URL of your blog?

Flounder
May 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM
It's http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com/. I don't update it too often, though coincidentally I am in the middle of a short run of "rosin based" sealant shenanigans. I think I'm doing something wrong with my signature settings, or something. There's a link in my sig, if I could get it to display, honest!

jbb
May 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
It's http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com/. I don't update it too often, though coincidentally I am in the middle of a short run of "rosin based" sealant shenanigans. I think I'm doing something wrong with my signature settings, or something. There's a link in my sig, if I could get it to display, honest!

Is the rosin you refer to gum Sandarac? Is your sealant to replace shellac when putting pens back together? I'm interested in using shellac as a letter seal.... I've also been playing around with shellac to make glossy dip pen ink.

Flounder
May 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I had to look up "Sandarac"... I don't think it's the same exactly, apparently the idea behind this stuff is that it's supposed to release at a lower temperature than shellac. Wikipedia claims Sandarac melts at 150 degrees celsius. I've been reading various web sources, and it looks like violin rosin can be used, so that's what I picked up for experimentation. Yep, the idea (from what I've read - never made it before, never used it before, never seen it before) is to apply this "rosin based" sealant in certain situations where shellac might be too stubborn.

ps - love the adjectives I'm reading! "Sandarac tears" lol. Sell me a jar of Sandarac tears!

jbb
May 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I had to look up "Sandarac"... I don't think it's the same exactly, apparently the idea behind this stuff is that it's supposed to release at a lower temperature than shellac. Wikipedia claims Sandarac melts at 150 degrees celsius. I've been reading various web sources, and it looks like violin rosin can be used, so that's what I picked up for experimentation. Yep, the idea (from what I've read - never made it before, never used it before, never seen it before) is to apply this "rosin based" sealant in certain situations where shellac might be too stubborn.

ps - love the adjectives I'm reading! "Sandarac tears" lol. Sell me a jar of Sandarac tears!

Yours is an interesting experiment. You'll have to report your results. (Are resin & rosin entirely different things or two versions of the same word?)

Flounder
May 9th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Okay, I suppose I'll put it up today's experiment on the repair board - more questions than answers this time! I'm no expert and can only go by what I myself I've read: rosin is solid resin, minus the turpentine.