PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Optima (older model)

penwash
March 2nd, 2018, 11:46 AM
I found this pen locally at an Estate Sale.

This pen was not working because its tines are flush with the tip of the feed. A curious state for a pen to be in, it almost seems like the owner was in the middle of replacing the nib but changed his/her mind? Who knows.

But the nib is the star here, an older version of Aurora nib that is different both in look and construction with what's available to buy new out there today. The nib is 14K, thinner design just like a vintage nib would be. And as the result, it's springy, almost flexible enough to compare with a nice vintage semiflex.

Piston is good and nice, cosmetic-wise this pen is ace. I've posted two photos of this pen on my recent posts, here's one with a real writing sample:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4752/25677963177_1c367422bc_c.jpg

penstaking
March 29th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Very nice! Thanks for posting!

FredRydr
May 24th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I decided to write with my ten-year-old Optima until it ran dry just now. But then I remembered it had a secondary "reservoir" of about a page of ink but forgot how to get at it. I had to experiment a bit, but was successful by running the piston all the way down. (The instruction booklet is in my box of pen boxes out in the garage.)

Aurora Optimas are among my favorite modern fountain pens. I hope the new owner of penwash's pen appreciates it.