PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Violet

Chrissy
March 3rd, 2018, 02:30 PM
Today I'm reviewing Diamine Violet ink.
Diamine Violet is a typical violet purple that leans slightly more blue than red, but is a really attractive colour. It’s an ink from the standard Diamine ink range.

Compared with some other lavender/lilac/violet inks it’s a more saturated ink than it first looked, and it can show plenty of shading with fine or medium nibs. I found it flowed well with all of the pens I tried it in, felt slightly wet, and it’s lubrication was really nice and smooth across the page.

My review was written on coated printer paper, that isn’t very absorbent, and I saw no spread or show-through. The lines were crisp and it dried quite quickly for this paper.

On Field Notes paper it didn’t spread or feather, but I saw some slight show through and bleed through. However, writing on the reverse side of all of the papers I used would be perfectly acceptable as show-through doesn't look as bad on paper than when it is scanned and shown on screen.

Violet is not sold as a waterproof ink but showed some water resistance.

Flow Rate: Good - quite wet
Lubrication: Good - felt smooth across the page
Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
Start-up: Immediate.
Saturation: Saturated
Shading Potential: Shading seen with F & M nibs
Sheen: None noticed.
Show-Through:

Oxford paper
Silvine Notebook (not much)
Rhodia Graph (not much)
CiaK by InTempo
Field Notes
Hobonichi Techo paper
Tomoe River 52gsm paper

Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen on any paper I used, even Field Notes
Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen
Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - very easy clean-up
Staining (hands): Easy clean-up off of skin with bar soap.
Clogging: Not seen.[/*]
Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but shows some water resistance.
Availability: Available in 80ml and 30ml bottles plus cartridges from Diamine Inks (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14#) web-site and many other outlets.

The Good Captain
March 4th, 2018, 01:52 AM
I've used this relatively frequently but think I prefer the Pelikan 4001 Violet, just a tad more.

RocketRyan
March 4th, 2018, 03:46 AM
Hi Chrissy, another great review, send a possible purchase for me. But my big question is where did you get an 18k nib for your hemisphere?

Chrissy
March 7th, 2018, 01:20 AM
Hi Chrissy, another great review, send a possible purchase for me. But my big question is where did you get an 18k nib for your hemisphere?
You're welcome. :) It's a nib from a Waterman Preface. I bought a beat up old Preface on ebay. The cap was loose, and there were nicks and scratches all over the lacquer, but it had a nice gold nib.

I already knew that the Preface nib was a good upgrade for the Hemisphere, so I waited for a perfect blue marbled one to come along, bought it, and swapped the nibs & feeds over.

I have 2 Hemis with gold Preface nibs and 4 Phileas's with gold L'Etalon nibs....I bought most of those nibs from "Dutchpen" over on FPN

RocketRyan
March 7th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'm off to eBay now.