PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Metropolitan- Who's using one?

manoeuver
May 5th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Check in if you've got one.

I've got the black plain banded one retrofitted with a plumix nib. I carry it daily and recommend it to people who show an interest in FPs.

I actually dig the small capacity of the converter, I get to try a lot of different inks in it that way. Been using Zhivago in it for quite a while now though.

It really is the silliest value pen I've come across.

MarneM
May 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I have one, and absolutely love it. I have a gold one, as it is my work pen and has to match the trimmings on my uniform. I bought it because it was metal and I felt it would therefore be a little more durable. Plus, if I got in a fight or left it on a crime scene, I wouldn't be too put out. And, in fact, I did that about a month after I got the first one. So I'm on my second.

I definitely recommend it as a "starter" fountain pen for anyone, or as a good, durable workhorse for anyone who needs it for that purpose. I really like mine. The only downside was that it only came with a medium nib as a choice. I keep meaning to fit it with a fine nib from a Plumix, but I haven't gotten around to ordering one yet! There's a great video review of the pen on the Goulet's website too!

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Pretty much the same here. I don't use it as often as other pens, but I *did* buy one for myself to see how it was, as I wanted a "go-to" pen for just the same reason: to recommend to new users. So far, it has worked out as a great choice for that, and it is also a slam-dunk as the knock-around pen to throw in my bag. Do Not Care if it gets lost or mucked up, but I'm surprised how well the body (mine's one of the silver ones) hasn't gotten scratched up or anything.

I agree: almost silly, the dollar-to-value ratio on these pens.

KrazyIvan
May 5th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Not sure why I don't have one yet. Oh yeah, Goulet's kept on running out of the black version I wanted. Maybe I'll check again.

matveik
May 5th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think it's terrific and recommend them often to people starting out. I really liked its predecessor, the Knight, and that had a list of around $35. Not much distinguishes the two.

Although I am worried that Pilot has realized how good of a value it is. There seems to have already been about a 20% bump from $15 to $18.75. Still a great deal, but not the direction we'd like to see!

caleath
May 5th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I have a black one, my first good pen. I keep it loaded with a red ink. If I could get a fine nib for it I might use it more.

Honey Mustard
May 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I have four :redface: A plain black and silver where I replaced the medium nib with a Plumix CI and Penmanship EF respectively. I also picked up a black dot and silver dot pair from stationeryart.com that came with fine nibs. I intended to PIF them but...

UK Mike
May 6th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I have an MR - the Metropolitan marketed in Europe to fit universal cartridges.

It is a nice writer and very well made made, but I tend to hold my pen further from the nib and this coincides with the sharp edge of the barrel which makes it uncomfortable to use for any length of time. I've gone back to the 78g for now.

cwent2
May 8th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Not sure why I don't have one yet. Oh yeah, Goulet's kept on running out of the black version I wanted. Maybe I'll check again.

Yes - checked all black are in stock at goulet pen company

writingrav
May 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I have one, in black, and keep it in my pocket for use at work for quick notes or signatures where the HOD ink works well. It is a terrific writer and fun pen for an unbelievable price. I've been buying them for kids as birthday gifts.

GourmetPens
May 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I have a gold one with the zig-zag pattern. Amazed by the quality of the pen, especially for $15. I'd be over the moon if they made more colors (like the Prera series) and more nibs! Fabulous gifts, especially for new fountain pen users!

manoeuver
May 9th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I didn't know about the Penmanship with the EF nib. I've got one on the way, along with a Silver Metro. If one is willing to have parts pens around, looks like we have EF, M and ~1.1 italic nibs available for the Metro- That's a wide enough selection for me!

franzdimson
May 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I got the silver with dots pattern. It is actually a smooth writer. I also fitted it with the Plumix nib and that was fun. It's a pretty good pen to have.

There is only one issue for this pen for me. Because I hold my pen back a little farther, I tend to grab the step from the barrel to the section. No problem for quick notes but it becomes an issue for longer writing.

But nevertheless, it's still inked up with the Pilot Green cartridge and ready for use on my desk. =>

fpquest
May 12th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have a black one. I like it and agree with the positive comments. Yet, I don't reach for it very often, partly because I prefer fine or extra fine nibs. I also prefer bigger pens for more than quick notes.

Sailor Kenshin
May 12th, 2013, 12:41 PM
They just hiked the price from fifteen to over 18 but I found a silver on Amazon for 17 and change, lol.

JustinJ
May 12th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I gave one to my wife. I was impressed with the pen for the price. One of her friends actually purchased one after using it. Neither my wife or her friend are fountain pen users. I think this speaks a lot about the pen. The nib is very smooth with a nice wet flow.

I like them better than the Safari pens, which is what I've bought for people to try fountain pens. Now, I will purchase the Pilot instead of the Lamy, especially for the price.

jar
May 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Never had a Pilot Metropolitan but I used to own and pilot a Nash Metropolitan. Does that count?

caleath
May 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Never had a Pilot Metropolitan but I used to own and pilot a Nash Metropolitan. Does that count?

They are almost the same size.

inky
May 13th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I've got a sliver zig-zag that comes up in the rotation often. It actually took the place of a pilot Prera for me. I just can't believe what I great value these little guys are.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM

I've got the black plain banded one retrofitted with a plumix nib. I carry it daily and recommend it to people who show an interest in FPs.

I actually dig the small capacity of the converter, I get to try a lot of different inks in it that way. Been using Zhivago in it for quite a while now though.

I have one too--it's very smooth-writing, which is nice, but I wish the nib were a HAIR finer. I hear the Cocoon is basically the same pen with a finer nib--have you tried it?

manoeuver
May 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM

I have one too--it's very smooth-writing, which is nice, but I wish the nib were a HAIR finer. I hear the Cocoon is basically the same pen with a finer nib--have you tried it?I've not tried the cocoon. I haven't even heard of it.

I did swap the M in my newest metro for the xf from a pilot penmanship from Jetpens and it's really nice.

edit: just looked at the cocoon; it seems to me indistinguishable from a metro. except it's $45. some different colors and a F nib.

Sailor Kenshin
May 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
With Pilot 78gs going for, oh, ten bucks, and having F nibs available, I wonder if you can switch THOSE into a Met.

manoeuver
May 13th, 2013, 12:49 PM
With Pilot 78gs going for, oh, ten bucks, and having F nibs available, I wonder if you can switch THOSE into a Met.unless my memory is manufacturing it, somebody somewhere said the entire 78G section can be installed (ie screwed into) in the metro body.

GourmetPens
May 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Bummer. They went up in price. I mean, only a few dollars but it was exciting that they were only $15USD or so hehe

CapeClear
May 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I have the MR version (I'm assuming it's the same) that I purchased via Stationery Art, in black. It's a nice pen over all, I like many others switched in the Plumix nib. It's nicely weighted for me and it gets a fair bit of use at work. I still prefer my 78G though... I can't quite put my finger on what it is that prevents me from loving it.

seffrican
May 13th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I have the MR version (I'm assuming it's the same) that I purchased via Stationery Art, in black. It's a nice pen over all, I like many others switched in the Plumix nib. It's nicely weighted for me and it gets a fair bit of use at work. I still prefer my 78G though... I can't quite put my finger on what it is that prevents me from loving it.

The MR is the same pen, but takes international standard (ISO/DIN) cartridges instead of the Pilot proprietary ones.

alc3261
May 13th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I got a Cocoon which is essentially the same pen but it comes in more colours - great pen!!

alc3261
May 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Jar - You've got a Nash?

jar
May 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Jar - You've got a Nash?

Not any more but that's true of many kinds of cars.

jor412
May 16th, 2013, 02:46 AM
With Pilot 78gs going for, oh, ten bucks, and having F nibs available, I wonder if you can switch THOSE into a Met.unless my memory is manufacturing it, somebody somewhere said the entire 78G section can be installed (ie screwed into) in the metro body.

That may have been me. I have both and I compared the 78G & Met. Same section shape, size, & threading. I tested it when I got the Met because the sections looked quite similar. The Met nib has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan, and some design etched on it. I also pulled the nib & feed out. They look exactly the same as nib and feed on my 78Gs, except the Met nib is chrome finished.

manoeuver
May 16th, 2013, 05:40 AM

That may have been me. I have both and I compared the 78G & Met. Same section shape, size, & threading. I tested it when I got the Met because the sections looked quite similar. The Met nib has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan, and some design etched on it. I also pulled the nib & feed out. They look exactly the same as nib and feed on my 78Gs, except the Met nib is chrome finished and has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan and some design etched on it.

Jor, just to be crystal clear, are you confirming that one can take the entire section from a 78G and thread it into the body of a Metropolitan (in your experience)?

Steph
May 16th, 2013, 07:46 AM
I got a silver zig-zag when they first came out and liked it so much that I got a black dot one too. I much prefer it over my Prera and 78Gs, because of the size and the finish. Both are in medium because that was the nib size then. Maybe I'll try swapping nibs with the 78Gs.

Sailor Kenshin
May 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM

That may have been me. I have both and I compared the 78G & Met. Same section shape, size, & threading. I tested it when I got the Met because the sections looked quite similar. The Met nib has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan, and some design etched on it. I also pulled the nib & feed out. They look exactly the same as nib and feed on my 78Gs, except the Met nib is chrome finished and has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan and some design etched on it.

Jor, just to be crystal clear, are you confirming that one can take the entire section from a 78G and thread it into the body of a Metropolitan (in your experience)?

I'm not Jor but I just tried, and it's a little squeaky, but it seems to fit.

Frankenpens everywhere take note!

cwent2
May 16th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Jet pen have the metropolitan black, black band 14.50 so I ordered my first Pilot pen. Also ordered a bottle of Diamine Ink for Fountain Pens - 80 ml Bottle - Claret which as near as I can tell (color blind red/green) so shades are tough - I am trying to get close to yama buda color.

jor412
May 16th, 2013, 08:24 PM

I'm not Jor but I just tried, and it's a little squeaky, but it seems to fit.

Frankenpens everywhere take note!

I have 4 78Gs in 4 colors. They all fit. The 78G & Met section are exactly the same; they're interchangeable. If I wanted to have one, I could have a black Met with a teal 78G section. That would be kind of ugly IMO but it's doable.

Sailor Kenshin
May 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't just a 78G with sheet metal.

writingrav
May 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Just switched out my Metropolitan medium for a 78g broad. Thanks to all of you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AtomicLeo
May 18th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Just ordered on on Amazon. It was selling for $13.12 on Amazon Prime. Keep on eye on the Amazon prices they will bounce around quite a bit. I own a red Knight and was very disappointed to see it discontinued. I hope the Metropolitan lives up to the Knight.

TheRoXFiles
May 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I've got one (black with zig-zag) that I've named @SeverusSSnape, after the guy on Twitter. I love this pen--this is one of those pens that I carry around in my pen pouch all the time. I'll be buying at least a couple more to give to co-workers who've been interested in my fountain pens but aren't fountain pen users themselves. I think these are great starter pens, provided you hand them over with some "adult supervision," as I call it. :P I gave one of these to a friend of mine last week, and I ended up having to help her out with it because she wanted to use it right out of the box. Since she's not an avid founain pen user--she's old enough to have used fountain pens in high school or college but hasn't used them in years--we opted to use the included ink cartridge instead of filling up the converter with one of my bottled inks. Well...I hadn't flushed the pen out and just stuck the cartridge in. I didn't want to use the pen in any way, even just to flush it out for her--I wanted her to be the one to use the pen first. So we stuck the cartridge in, but the pen wouldn't write at all, no matter how long we let it sit or how much we tried to write with it. I ended up having to give it a very quick flush with a cup of water from the water cooler before putting the cartridge in again, and the pen wrote beautifully. I think my friend would've thought the Metropolitan was defective if I just handed it to her, or if she somehow got one on her own, since there are no instructions included with this pen.

Given this...well, I asked a couple of my other co-workers if they would want one of these pens, too--say, for a birthday or for Christmas. They both said yes because they've loved how my pens look. So I'll be buying at least two more of this pen--and I'm fine with handing these out to them because I'll be around to help if something goes wrong or wonky with them. :)

cwent2
May 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
2797Mine arrived today Black plain inked with Diamine Claret - wrote straight away - nib was slightly scratchy - checked and found tines not aligned - corrected and it is writing a nice fine line

I probably will pick up a couple more and have them as gifts as well.

jor412
May 18th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I haven't inked my Met. Actually, I bought it with the intention of taking its medium nib and swapping it with my Prera's fine nib. That's why I had previously purchased a Plumix: to get that italic nib for my Prera. As with the Plumix, I had no plans for the Met itself.

Then when I got the pen -- black with the dot pattern which was the only one available at the time -- I couldn't swap the nibs and treat the Met like the Plumix. :pI was too impressed by the pen's solid hefty feel & decent looks. The only thing I wasn't wowed by was the section.

But right now I have too many 78Gs which I use as my knock about pens so I may give up the Met un-inked.

fiberdrunk
May 19th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I have one each of the plain black and plain silver. I'd like to get a gold one next. They're super pens. They work great with my traditional homemade iron gall inks, and any fountain pen that can handle an ink intended for dip pens is a keeper in my book.

jor412
May 22nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
I got a Cocoon which is essentially the same pen but it comes in more colours - great pen!!

I was looking at the Cocoon in titanium just now at jetpens where it costs $45. Looked at the pics, description, and dimensions and it does seem like the same pen. $45 is a lot compared to the Met's $15. I wonder if there are other differences that aren't apparent in the pics.

AtomicLeo
May 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Mine arrived this week. It's the black one. I really like it. Very similar to the Knight but more than 1/2 the price. One quibble, the step down is a bit uncomfortable for long writing session, but it's a great work pen. Understated and sturdy. Plus if I lose it, only $20 to replace. A great deal

Sailor Kenshin
May 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM
This isn't quite a review, more of an impression after using my Met for a week.

At first, the step in the section bugged me. REALLY bugged me. But maybe I have unconsciously adjusted my grip because it bothers me less and less.

I did not have a matte silvertone pen. This is why I ordered the Silver Dot. Verrrryyy attractive finish, nice tapered, rounded ends to the body.

The M nib is wetter and broader than the M on my three 78Gs. It's performing beautifully with slightly diluted Iro Tsuki-yo.

The price fluctuates, and I paid nearly $20 for mine because I NEEDED the Silver. At the original $15 and now in some models, I'd'a been more impressed, but the more I write, the more I like!

79spitfire
May 27th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I have a gold, I like it, it's a very reliable daily user type pen. I keep it inked with PR Midnight blues (fast dry). In a way it's a tad boring, it just works so well with no drama!

Avastgard
July 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mine just arrived and I inked it right away with black Parker Quink. Wrote pretty well until I noticed that it was skipping at the angles pens traditionally skip with me (opening parenthesis fails 75% of the time). I tried flushing it and inserted the proprietary cartrige that came with it. It's now working pretty well (the nib is medium).

Does anybody else thinks the included squeeze converter holds a ridiculously low amount of ink? I never had one of those before, so I don't know if that's right.

cwent2
July 7th, 2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g7F5Vbz1nTg#t=302s

Converter is capable of holding about 1 ml which is not a bad amount of ink. See video at about 4:29.

Cw

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I need a Con-50!

79spitfire
July 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I thought a Con-50 held a bit less than 1ml. Anyway I used mine the other day (s) and it lasted almost 2 days on one fill. I'm not going to pretend I write a lot, but that is a pretty good write-out.

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM
But but but...I HAVE TO SEE the ink supply. I have a million of those other squeezy converters. Must. See. Ink.

Avastgard
July 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g7F5Vbz1nTg#t=302s

Converter is capable of holding about 1 ml which is not a bad amount of ink. See video at about 4:29.

Cw

Well, it does look like it can fit about 1ml, but I don't think you can get all this ink just by squeezing it in an ink bottle (I mean, you could probably put 1ml inside it using a seringe).

But but but...I HAVE TO SEE the ink supply. I have a million of those other squeezy converters. Must. See. Ink.

Yeah, not being able to see the ink level is a major drawback to me.

EDIT: I just tested it, and the Metropolitan converter doesn't seem to hold that much ink as it was stated on the video. What I got with one squeeze was about 0,4 ml, which is very little.

Hjorlejf
July 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I have two and I love this pen!

One is a silver metropolitan with zig-zag band, the other is a blue cocoon. Yes, I paid extra just for that colour - in my defense, I've been unable to find good shipping on the metro and so $15 + $10 is the best deal I've come across. By contrast, I was able to find the cocoon for $35 and free shipping, meaning a $10 difference rather than the 3x that most people seem to get ($15 versus $45). Lately I have been eyeing the highly attractive black dot version...

They are very smooth, writing just like the older Knight model, which has since been discontinued. I have not a single complaint about these guys.

cwent2
July 29th, 2013, 05:55 PM
I love the Pilot Metro, mine's plain black -- recently bought a 78g for the fine nib. I like the fine nib better

Sections are interchangeable - got a nib for 16.00 shipped and got a free pen for the box.

Cw

fncll
July 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Just to make sure I understand, the following are true:

Nib interchange: Pilot Metropolitan / Pilot Plumix / Pilot Penmanship / Pilot Prera
Section interchange: Pilot Metropolitan / Pilot 78G

Are there any other nibs that are swappable with this group?

Avastgard
July 30th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I love the Pilot Metro, mine's plain black -- recently bought a 78g for the fine nib. I like the fine nib better

Sections are interchangeable - got a nib for 16.00 shipped and got a free pen for the box.

Cw

Why would you pay $16 for a Metropolitan nib?

cwent2
July 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Cw

Why would you pay $16 for a Metropolitan nib?

The Metropolitan only comes with a medium nib. Technically I bought a Pilot 78g with a fine nib and chose to install it in my Pilot Metropolitan.
Because I prefer writing with a fine nib. I do not believe you can actually purchase nibs from Pilot separate from a pen, and since they do not offer the Metropolitan in a fine nib I found a way to swap the nib.

I have bought nibs from Goulet pen Company for 15.00 plus shipping,,,,but that is another story.

Cw

AndyT
July 30th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Penmanship nib in a Metropolitan body? That's interesting ...

manoeuver
July 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Penmanship nib in a Metropolitan body? That's interesting ...
yeah, it's pretty cool.

Felix
July 31st, 2013, 04:00 AM
I have one too--it's very smooth-writing, which is nice, but I wish the nib were a HAIR finer. I hear the Cocoon is basically the same pen with a finer nib--have you tried it?

Doesn't look like much difference except a Fine nib is available, comes with a CON-50 converter and different colors (as opposed to the Metro). I do see that JetPens lists different physical dimensions between the two models but they are so slight it leaves me wondering if that was a result of two different people doing the measuring for the spec sheet. Also, there's a customer head-to-head comparison between the two on JetPens (Cocoon Medium -- Bordeaux body).

But the Cocoon is 3x the price.

Would seem to be a better deal to buy a Metro plus a Pilot Penmanship (or 78 G) and swap the nib out unless you just had to have one of the Cocoon colors. Note that the Cocoon line also has rollerball, ballpoint and mechanical pencil, Metro doesn't.

ac12
August 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM
This was my first "modern" FP. All my other FPs are over 30 years old.
I was totally blown away by how SMOOOOOOTH it wrote, I was very impressed.

I too wish it was available in a F tip. The M tip is just a bit too wide for my preference, especially if the nib is WET.
I got it to use as an "office pen," where if it was lost or stolen, it would not be a $ big deal.
I got the CON-50 as I find the screw converters are easier for me to use and clean. This is especially the case if I wanted to change ink colors, as I found squeeze converters a PIA to clean. I plan to switch to the cheaper Cross blue after a couple fills of Waterman (to prime the feed).

The Pilot Metro got me interested in the Chinese pens, which I found also have SMOOOTH tips, but on much smaller XF tips.

MisterBoll
August 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I noticed alot of people write about using a Plumix nib in these pens. What's the deal with them? Thanks.

KrazyIvan
August 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I noticed alot of people write about using a Plumix nib in these pens. What's the deal with them? Thanks.

The plumix has a stub/italic nib. The Metropolitan does not have that nib option.

yipe
September 1st, 2013, 12:50 AM
I ordered the black one with dots from Jetpens, and a bright blue plumix, I'm not sure if I'll switch the nibs on those or not. I kinda like the color of the Plumix and I love italic nibs. Then again I don't actually have any medium nibs, I may end up liking it more than I think.

AtomicLeo
September 1st, 2013, 09:54 AM

They are cheap (<$10 USD), have a small (0.7-0.9mm) stub nib and the nib can be used in the 76g, Prera and Metropolitan. Most the factory stub/italics out there are really big. For me 1.1mm is right at the edge of too big for daily writing.

fncll
September 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
The Metropolitan with the Plumix M italic is a great writing, inexpensive combo. The italic is pretty stubby, so I can write at speed. The 78G B is already a m-ish stub...the BB too, which is more like a "western" B...

Pensivedoc
September 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
I have one (I just ground the nib to make it finer.) And, they've been my default gift pen--to my mom, my wife, and four social workers at my lost job who kept making fun of me for using fountain pens : )

Ernst Bitterman
September 3rd, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm going to join the chorus on this one; the cost/joy ratio on this thing is bizarre. I'm using it in the same heap with a Sheaffer Imperial IV, a Lamy Studio, and a mid-'70s Pelikan P488, and I find the others are coming off poorly by comparison. I'll agree with those who question the step, but one must be flexible when the pen is not, right?

TMac
September 3rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
I have joined the Metropolitan fan club. I recently acquired one with moderate expectations. While I think Pilot makes great pens, I was tempered because of the low cost. I am very surprised at what a good pen this is. If I didn't know the price, I could be convinced it is worth significantly more than they charge. It is a great example that the price is not always a good indication of the quality of the pen.

cwent2
September 4th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I like them so much I bought a back up just in case it gets destroyed. I have dropped it once or twice with the cap on = no issues except for a bit of chipped paint.

WirsPlm
September 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM
This was my first "modern" FP. All my other FPs are over 30 years old.
I was totally blown away by how SMOOOOOOTH it wrote, I was very impressed.

I too wish it was available in a F tip. The M tip is just a bit too wide for my preference, especially if the nib is WET.
I got it to use as an "office pen," where if it was lost or stolen, it would not be a $ big deal.
I got the CON-50 as I find the screw converters are easier for me to use and clean. This is especially the case if I wanted to change ink colors, as I found squeeze converters a PIA to clean. I plan to switch to the cheaper Cross blue after a couple fills of Waterman (to prime the feed).

The Pilot Metro got me interested in the Chinese pens, which I found also have SMOOOTH tips, but on much smaller XF tips.

You can get one with a fine tip. It's tricky because Pilot has the wackiest distribution known to pen lovers, so you have to order them from Hong Kong through eBay. Here's a link to the chart someone from FPN put together with all the various names and nib combos: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPa5hCK5iafdGRLTm1JVHJhNTVZYS1EWXZUYWtDa 0E&usp=sharing

yipe
September 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM
You can get one with a fine tip. It's tricky because Pilot has the wackiest distribution known to pen lovers, so you have to order them from Hong Kong through eBay. Here's a link to the chart someone from FPN put together with all the various names and nib combos: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPa5hCK5iafdGRLTm1JVHJhNTVZYS1EWXZUYWtDa 0E&usp=sharing

That is just weird. What's up with the schizophrenia Pilot?

I just got mine, inked it up with De Atrementis Blue-Black, and I must say it is shockingly smooth. I know I'm a beginner and I have very few pens, but this is my smoothest pen. I got the Plumix too, and was planning on probably switching the nibs, but having tried that pen too (With Rohrer und Klingner Sepia), it doesn't seem as smooth and I probably won't be switching them. I'm glad I got the bright blue color I like with that pen, I was originally going to order just whatever was in stock since I was just buying it for the nib.

Gareth
September 17th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Here in 'rip-off' Britain it costs £18.95 (approx $25):(

kaisnowbird
September 17th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I own a black 'zigzag' version and love it. Its Japanese 'medium' nib is more of a fine one and would suit most writers.
I consider Pilot's gold nibs among the most reliable and consistent in the world. I had a disappointing experience with a 78G stub nib, but the Metropolitan totally changed my view about Pilot's lower end steel nibs.
This is for sure the best valued FP at its recommended retail price.

yipe
October 10th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I did end up switching the nib between the Metropolitan and Plumix. I found that with a bit of use the plumix nib magically got a lot smoother, and the metropolitan nib was actually (I may be offending some people with the next bit) too smooth, it actually felt almost slippery and my writing would occasionally suffer. What finally got me to switch was trying to write a letter with the Plumix. The section and cap threads made too much distance between my fingers and the nib. My hand cramped up and I found myself holding onto the cap threads, which almost unavoidably meant touching the side of the nib and getting a growing blob of ink on my fingertips. That would not do.

Currently I have my Metropolitan with a Plumix nib inked up with Diamine Twilight. My Plumix with a Metropolitan nib has Pelikan 4001 black.

steveH
October 14th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I didn't know about the Penmanship with the EF nib. I've got one on the way, along with a Silver Metro. If one is willing to have parts pens around, looks like we have EF, M and ~1.1 italic nibs available for the Metro- That's a wide enough selection for me!

You can get an F nib for it, too. If you steal the nib from a Prera. Which seems sort of perverse (ignoring expensive for the moment), but I like the feel of the Metropolitan in the hand better than the Prera.

My wife won't let me do the transplant, so it's only theoretical for now. But I did swap out the nib for an EF from a Penmanship, and it's one of my favorite pens now.

heath
October 15th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Had my first issue with one today. Wouldn't start after going the weekend without using. Sitting horizontal. I wiped the nib, shook it a bit and even tapped it some but no go. I ended up putting the nib in some water for a few seconds and it started up. Not a big deal but it was the first time it's happened to me so I thought I'd share.

WirsPlm
October 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM

You can get an F nib for it, too. If you steal the nib from a Prera. Which seems sort of perverse (ignoring expensive for the moment), but I like the feel of the Metropolitan in the hand better than the Prera.

My wife won't let me do the transplant, so it's only theoretical for now. But I did swap out the nib for an EF from a Penmanship, and it's one of my favorite pens now.

No need to swap nibs, just order one of the MRs from Hong Kong through eBay. Shipping takes a while, but it comes with an F nib. Or, if you want to swap nibs, you can get an F 78G for cheaper than the Prera, I believe those will work for nib swapping.

cwent2
October 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Had my first issue with one today. Wouldn't start after going the weekend without using. Sitting horizontal. I wiped the nib, shook it a bit and even tapped it some but no go. I ended up putting the nib in some water for a few seconds and it started up. Not a big deal but it was the first time it's happened to me so I thought I'd share.

When was the last time your pen was flushed and cleaned? Sounds like it may have gotten sick from lack of proper hygiene.

Cw

heath
October 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Maybe two weeks ago.

cwent2
October 15th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Maybe two weeks ago.

Should have been ok then....

heath
October 15th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Maybe two weeks ago.

That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping the cap was just not on all the way.

WirsPlm
October 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM
New Pilot Metro patterns finally showed up at Goulets ( http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Metropolitan_Fountain_Pens_s/1336.htm )

steveH
November 15th, 2013, 03:36 PM

No need to swap nibs, just order one of the MRs from Hong Kong through eBay. Shipping takes a while, but it comes with an F nib. Or, if you want to swap nibs, you can get an F 78G for cheaper than the Prera, I believe those will work for nib swapping.

I did pick up a 78g F ... and she's got that one, too. I think I've created a monster here.

cwent2
November 15th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Maybe two weeks ago.

That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping the cap was just not on all the way.

Follow up, any repeat issues??

diogenesNY
November 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I purchased one in black (with zigzags) from Jetpens a few months ago. It has become my regular 'in the field' pen for reliable, durable and forgiving use. I love it.

It is definitely on the heavy and chunky side. This is not a pen for the faint of heart. This is the kind of pen you would want to have in your hand when you get into a bar fight.

First I had it loaded with Private Reserve Ebony Green. It delivered and performed wonderfully. Flushed it out and now it is filled with Waterman's Absolute Brown, which had been slow starting with the normally forgiving Platinum Preppy. It has been a delight and the Metropolitan has regularly been an EDC pen.

--diogenesNY

boerenkool
December 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM
I have the Pilot MR (aka Metropolitan) with a fine nib - it's the Hong Kong (or Asian?) version of the MR which uses Pilot's proprietary cartridges (or Pilot converters), unlike the European version of the MR which uses international standard short cartridges. Mine came with the generic squeeze converter but no cartridge.

Black with the polka dot centre band - the HK version seems to be polka dots only (for some reason...).

Writes perfectly, wetter than my Pilot 78G with a fine nib and maybe a bit smoother as well (though they seem quite close in smoothness - but of course this is based only on a small sample size, ie. the pens I happen to have at hand).

Regarding the Cocoon version (which is exactly the same pen as far as I've been able to determine), I've seen it on Amazon Japan recently for 2,250 yen (which comes out to about $22.50 compared to $35-$45 I've seen elsewhere)...shipping from Japan however might offset any savings depending on where you are. I do like the titanium colour version, which seems to be a Cocoon only option.

I've used mine with several different inks so far and all have worked well. Currently using Pilot Black with the CON-50 converter.

lisantica
December 8th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I have one and I just gifted one. I think they are a great value.

ac12
December 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I just deinked and retired mine, at least for now.
The barrel is just a bit too big for me to hold and use comfortably.
I writes GREAT, and is a pitty that I had to deink it, but a FP has to feel right in my hand.

dragonfly7
March 2nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
While visiting Honolulu, a friend and I each picked up Metropolitans. She's not even a FP person and she wanted to try one.
I'm not a huge fan of the medium nib, it sure is a smooth one! It's in the regular rotation.

Lady Onogaro
March 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
I have a purple one and like it. I have swapped the nib with a Plumix but may go back to the original nib (I liked the flow on it better).

cwent2
March 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
I have a purple one and like it. I have swapped the nib with a Plumix but may go back to the original nib (I liked the flow on it better).

I swapped mine out to a fine from a 78G - went back to original for the same reason.

Cw

kia
March 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
I have a few Metropolitans. They write well out of the box, and are nice to give as starter pens for those needing to be inducted into FP use. (yes, need)

I have one that I use myself, the White Tiger, which I currently have inked with BSB. A dangerous combination, to be sure, but it's working out ok for now. Once the ink runs out, I will try something new in it - maybe I will attempt yet again to find a green ink that doesn't make me :bad: when I see my writing with it on the page. I really want a nice green ink, but when I write with it... ah, well.

Runnin_Ute
March 12th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Mine arrived just today as a part of Goulet's "Classic Black Metropolitan Package Set" which also include Leuchtturn1917 Large (A5) Hardcover Black - dot grid, Noodler's Black, and the pen has the dotted trim band. Less than $50 shipped for the package. I haven't used it enough to have a good feel for it yet. Have the included cartridge in it at present.

mtnbiker62
March 13th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I just ordered a Cocoon set (fountain pen, ballpoint pen and mechanical pencil) in gray from a shop in Japan. Got the whole thing shipped for $60. They will be a good match for my black Metropolitan. I'm really looking forward to the fine nib. I would have just swapped in a fine 78G nib, but the gold nib with the silver trimmed pen just set my OCD off like crazy! :puke:

VertOlive
March 13th, 2014, 06:59 PM
the gold nib with the silver trimmed pen just set my OCD off like crazy! :puke:

Gives me hives just thinking about it!

Bogon07
March 13th, 2014, 07:20 PM
the gold nib with the silver trimmed pen just set my OCD off like crazy! :puke:

Gives me hives just thinking about it!

Use a dark Noodler's ink with looks of nib creep and you won't notice the gold nib but I suppose then the ink all over the nib will be your new OCD problem.

cwent2
March 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM
It is not OCD it is CDO! Have to keep everything in the proper order, in this case Alphabetically!

klpeabody
March 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM
After all of this time, I finally tried a Pilot Metropolitan when they introduced the "animals" series. Whether that's it's official name or not, I have no idea. But, to get to the point, I ordered the "taupe lizard" version. I really liked the look and feel of the pen out of the box. I cleaned it first. Then inked it with the included cartridge. Not a match for me. I recently inked it with Diamine Red Dragon. Love the combination. A great take to work pen, or throw in the purse pen.

I think the pen feels fine in the hand. I have smaller hands and am, unfortunately, sensitive to that. I think after I used this one a few times, I became used to the "feel" of it. It actually did feel a little awkward at first. It does have a little bit of a step; nothing insurmountable.

I will admit, however, that early on in my pen addiction, I owned a Pilot 78G with Medium nib and loved it. I gifted it to a special friend. I really liked that nib; not gonna lie. This pen is a good value for the money, but actually comes in second to that pen. For a cheap pen, the 78G was just a SUPER value. I mean really, really good. This pen wants to be that good.

Overall, it's still great for the money; a good value, and looks good. For less than a LAMY Safari, you can't go wrong with this one, really. A smooth writer for sure. But, that's just my limited experience.

TerraNoir
March 13th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I own two of these pens. I adore each one. My Metropolitan Black Zigzag always has my trusty Diamine Majestic Blue and my "Lizard"...well it just seems to have whatever fun color I decided I just HAD to try. I love/hate the small capacity. But they are trusty trusty pens. I love love them.

Did I mention that is was my first pen in my return into fountain pens. I couldn't have asked for a better pen. I still have both of them nearby for the moments I need to quickly jot something down.

They are a super great value, really amazing nib.

sharmon202
March 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I switched out the original M nib for the EF from a Penmanship. Even a rookie like me was able to do it. It works fantastic, I love the very thin line it makes. It is my BSB pen so I do not worry if it stains a bit, which it has. The overall cots of two pens was not much for what I got in return

reprieve
March 30th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I forgot about my Metropolitan for a few weeks. I had been using other pens and just didn't pick this one up. I finally uncapped it today, thinking the nib would be bone dry, but that sucker wrote as soon as I touched nib to paper. No hard starting, no skipping, just reliable writing. I continue to be impressed with this little $15 pen.

rgperedo
April 25th, 2014, 03:47 PM
This is the best bang for your buck pen out there, in my humble opinion. I have had three, every time I buy a second one I end up giving it to someone as a gift. They are excellent writers and easy to take care of. I only have one now, but I will definitely order another soon, which I plan to keep!