PDA

View Full Version : Vintage carry at work?

caleath
May 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I have been writing down what pens I carry ever day in my pen/ink journal. Just to keep trackofwhatgets used the most . Today I startto write them down....Sheaffer's Imperial 3, Parker 45 and finally Esterbrook transitional J. All the moderns are in my backpack, anyone else carry vintage on a daily basis?

john
May 6th, 2013, 09:57 AM
A 40's Parker vacumatic.

KrazyIvan
May 6th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Esterbrook LJ is with me today.

fpquest
May 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM
A Parker Vacumatic today. Other days it might be an Esterbrook.

dgator
May 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Today...Parker Duofold Jr. and Sheaffer's TM Touchdown 2445

Uncle Red
May 6th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I rotate through my pens so I always have a mix of modern and vintage.

tandaina
May 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Almost all the pens I own are vintage. So yes, most of my everyday carry pens are 60+ years old. :)

carlc
May 6th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Me too, but the most regular 'vintage' (not according to Jar though) work pen is a Parker 51 but often there's a Skyline as well.

carlos.q
May 6th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Besides my EDC pen (M200 Pelikan) this week I carry a vintage Pelikan 400 Tortoise (1950-56), with an awesome KF nib, filled with the ever delicious Pelikan Edelstein Topaz.... :thumb:

Laura N
May 6th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Right now I'm working mostly from home, so I don't have to carry anything especially for work. But when I do, I will. And I can't think of a better pen for that than a Parker 51. Unless it's an Aurora 88K. Or a vintage Pelikan. Or a Vacumatic. Or a Sheaffer Balance. I am starting to look forward to it. :)

One good thing about vintage pens is that they are smaller on average, which makes them pretty easy to carry around in a shirt pocket, if you are a man, or a purse or briefcase.

reprieve
May 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM
The vintage pens that get carried around:

several Parker 51s
red Parker Duofold Senior
red Parker Duofold Junior
blue Parker Vacumatic Major
black Sheaffer OS Flat-top
Sheaffer Snorkel
several Esterbrooks
Lamy 27
green Pelikan M140
black Pelikan M130 ibis
Montblanc 234 1/2

I recently acquired a Pilot MYU 701 (circa 1974) and will surely carry that beauty.

Most of my other vintage pens stay at home--either because of their nibs (difficult to find, usually factory stubs or extra-flexible) or material (fragile or an uncommon color) or general rarity. The pens I use most often are modern (and replaceable) but I do enjoy a good reliable user (see above list).

fountainpenkid
May 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Pelikan 400 black stripe
Parker Slender Vacumatic.
Two of the nicest pens I've ever used. No leaks, almost never any burps, just pure good writing experience. I find modern pens to be nice, but the slender vacumatic is incomparable for a pocket pen (IMO).

Uncle Red
May 6th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Me too, but the most regular 'vintage' (not according to Jar though) work pen is a Parker 51 but often there's a Skyline as well.

Oh, today I had a GF metal Wahl pen with a factory stub nib. I carry Waterman pens a lot since their my favorite. The GF straight capped pen with the over/under feed stays home most of the time since it's very wet and the cheap paper at work can't handle it.

Parker 51's are vintage (older than the Waterman CF) just without flex nibs.

caleath
May 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, my problem is my work is 75% office 25% out in the field. I just unload my pocket when I get in my van. I keep a Energel in my cup holder to use in the field.

drgoretex
May 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Two 1945 Parker Vacumatics. Love 'em.

Ken

woosang
May 7th, 2013, 06:13 AM
A 1960s lamy 99e and a 1920s Orbison & Glass Dip pen

Zanshin
May 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I usually have a mix of old and new on me. The current vintage are a Waterman's Ideal, a Conway Stewart short no 15 and a Mabie-Todd Blackbird. The Waterman's is more or less a permanent fixture for its lovely semi-flex nib.

nxn96
May 7th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I'm seldom without a Parker 51 Aerometric (or two).

I'm not sure it quite counts as "vintage", but I also carry a Parker 45 Flighter (cap-actuated) ballpoint from the early 1970's as well.

Pensivedoc
May 11th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I'm alternating:
Vintage: Parker 51. Not vintage: the Limited Edition Ebonite Morgan I just received, really enjoying it.

liapuyat
May 13th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Right now, a marine green Sheaffer Balance, and a blue Sheaffer Craftsman lever-filler. (Occasionally I have to refresh them in a dip of water as they can dry out in an airconditioned environment, but that's something I happily live with, since they write very nicely.)

snedwos
May 14th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I did an exam yesterday with my 1943 Vacumatic. Though I'm reconsidering taking it out with me, since the other day someone pulled it out of my hands, said "That looks cool! Kind of like a Matrix pen!" and then proceeded to try and pull the cap off! Needless to say I shrieked, and I'm sure my face was quite a picture...

carlc
May 14th, 2013, 06:58 AM
the other day someone pulled it out of my hands, .

That kind of behaviour annoys me regardless of what it is in your hands.

I presume you retrieved it from their cold, dead, hands....:laser:

anaximander
May 14th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I don't often actually "carry" pens, but I rotate a pen that I keep at the office. These are often lower-end vintage pens. Right now it's a rather beat up looking P51. My other favorite work pens are a Pelikan 120 and a Sheaffer Balance.

Pensfan
May 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM
A Parker 51 and a modern Pelikan M200 are my current EDC pens. My 1st generation Lamy 2000 (1966-67) would be carried daily, but the huge bold nib is really better suited for letters, signatures, etc.

CapeClear
May 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I usually bring one fun vintage pen with me to work, something to cheer me up. Usually I rotate between my Esterbrooks and a P51. Nothing spectacular but enough for me :)

fountainpenkid
May 14th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I did an exam yesterday with my 1943 Vacumatic. Though I'm reconsidering taking it out with me, since the other day someone pulled it out of my hands, said "That looks cool! Kind of like a Matrix pen!" and then proceeded to try and pull the cap off! Needless to say I shrieked, and I'm sure my face was quite a picture...

Love to hear that!!! I use my slender grey vac for all exams...just took the chem exam today with it.

orfew
May 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I use my MB 24 at work quite often.

Pendragon
May 15th, 2013, 12:39 AM
the other day someone pulled it out of my hands, .

That kind of behaviour annoys me regardless of what it is in your hands.

I presume you retrieved it from their cold, dead, hands....:laser:

That kind of nonsense is one of the reasons why I stopped using a fountain pen at work. The gel pens from the supply cabinet don't work nearly as well, but I am at work to get work done, not indulge my hobbies. Not loaning one's coworkers a fountain pen can lead to problems in the workplace. Then there is the problem of grabby people.

Maybe keep one of those novelty electric pens on hand for the grabby people? ;)

cedargirl
May 15th, 2013, 03:11 AM

OK woosang, I'll bite. How do you manage the dip pen - and a glass one, to boot??

woosang
May 15th, 2013, 04:07 AM

OK woosang, I'll bite. How do you manage the dip pen - and a glass one, to boot??

That's the brand name, is not glass though I do have a hand made glass dip handle..
I just have a napkin around the top of and Ink bottle then in a baggy sealed up. Only had one leak ever and was contained. Ruined the bottle label though
Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

tandaina
May 15th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I brought my little MB 242 to the conference I'm currently at and have been using it to take notes. I'm amazed, most pens dry up in this situation, lots stints of listening but not writing and I like to NOT recap as that slows me down when I do want to jot... And by golly that little 242 stayed ready to write until it had sat once for 10 minutes uncapped as I listened! Only that ONE TIME did it pause at start up, this is my new travel/conference/meeting pen!

Mags
May 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I have been hearing more about these older MB's lately. I use my 1990 MB gear and LOL have.discovered in some circles they regard these over 20 year old pens as vintage....I feel old:eek:

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

caleath
May 24th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Ok for Friday

Sheaffer's Statesman
Parker 45
Esterbrook transitional J
Unknown lever filler. I estimate from the early 40's

john
May 24th, 2013, 07:24 AM
A 1945 vacumatic which I used daily.

tandaina
May 24th, 2013, 09:54 AM
See I solved the vintage at work problem by getting my coworkers hooked on fountain pens. Problem solved. Now they're all just jealous of my collection. But they are safe to loan my pens to in meetings! (Actually my boss has been using a 90s Waterman pen since before I got there. I fixed his old Vacumatic so he's back into vintage. And my other colleague I gave a Lamy Safari.)

KrazyIvan
May 24th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I am still carrying my recently restored Esterbrook LJ with medium Osmiroid italic nib and Private Reserve Tropical Blue.

6of1
May 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM
A couple of beaten up old Craftsman Touchdowns. They write well and function flawlessly.

mhphoto
May 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I usually don't have an issue carrying vintage celluloid or plastic pens to work, but everything hard rubber stays home.

Daniel
May 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
This week it is an Aurora 88 filled with Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten.

Pensfan
May 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Today, and this week really, I have a Parker Striped Duofold from the 40s and my trusty Pelikan M200. I am digging the Duofold again now that I fixed the minor leak it had.

:)

fountainpenkid
May 30th, 2013, 02:38 PM
My 400 in black stripe finally failed on me today. I got it for a great deal, unrestored, at a pen show, and it happened to fill. Now the seal has finally failed (ink got all over my hands from leaking out of the piston knob) and it will need a new one.

Mags
January 8th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Carrying a Parker 51 and Estie SJ this week. ;)

kaisnowbird
January 8th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Don't have as many vintage, but these babies go to my office regularly:
- Parker 51
- 2 Parker Vacumatics and
- Sheaffer's Snorkel (today).

tandaina
January 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Almost all my pens are vintage. So that's what comes to work.

I rotate often but for about a year there has always been some sort of tortoise Pelikan in that rotation. ;)

KrazyIvan
January 8th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Before Christmas I had a Parker Vacumatic Major with me. Right now I only have modern pens inked.

Kaputnik
January 8th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Vintage pens that I have used at work include various Esterbrooks, Parker Vacumatic, 21, and 51, Sheaffer Imperial IV and Admiral, and a number of others, now that I think of it. If it's not too delicate or finicky, then it's suitable for work.

Of course, I watch my fountain pens like a hawk, and don't leave them lying around. There are well meaning but thoughtless people in any office who think of pens as some sort of communal property.

ethernautrix
January 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Just added to rotation:

Sheaffer Tuckaway (Tucky!)
Parker 51 Ariel Kullock (Is it vintage or not?)
And an amazing celluloid Sheaffer Flat-Top that I've had for several years and knew it had a great nib but didn't use cos it's a lever-filler, wow!

Oh for goodness's sake, how could I have forgotten the Hardtmuth Studio? Doi!

Mr. JW
January 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
My work rotation usually consists of:

Parker Super 21
Esterbrook J
Sheaffer Imperial

Sometimes I'll take my Craftsman pen/pencil set, but usually that stays on the desk. Pens always stay in pocket or hand. Too many curious people at work to leave things lying around.

Spikey Mike
January 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
My carry round pen is a battered old Parker 25 with the most amazingly smooth nib that I have ever come across ...

axolotl66
January 8th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Parker 25 is a great pen, I have three of them and agree with your statement about the nib smoothness. Workhorse pen that seems indestructible!! Same goes for the J too. Lovely.
Graham

ac12
January 8th, 2014, 03:30 PM
NONE

I do not trust that they will not be damaged or stolen.
What I take into the office are inexpensive "office pens" which are all somewhat modern; Pilot Metro, Baoer 388, or Parker 88.
And while my Esterbrooks are not expensive, they have screw caps. And as has been mentioned, people may/will try to PULL the cap, damaging the threads. So the Esterbrooks stay at home.

mhosea
January 8th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I use any of my pens at work that are well-behaved for "pocket carry". On my desk are inexpensive pens, but in my pocket might be anything. Today it happens to be a Sailor Pro Gear Naginata Togi Medium-Fine with Sailor Sei Boku in it, but as for "vintage", a Sheaffer oversize Balance is common in my pocket, as is a Snorkel or Parker VS.

txfz1
January 8th, 2014, 07:21 PM
During a meeting with the client, the client borrowed my managers pen; basically just reached over and grabbed the pen. It was a nice Waterman. He couldn't get it to start so he commenced to bang the nib against the paper. I looked at my manager and he had such a horrid look on his face. The nib was completely bent over. The client passed the pen back saying it was out of ink.The manager started stocking pilot varsities in the office which I also started to use. Now I've got a collection of FPs.

David

ac12
January 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
During a meeting with the client, the client borrowed my managers pen; basically just reached over and grabbed the pen. It was a nice Waterman. He couldn't get it to start so he commenced to bang the nib against the paper. I looked at my manager and he had such a horrid look on his face. The nib was completely bent over. The client passed the pen back saying it was out of ink.The manager started stocking pilot varsities in the office which I also started to use. Now I've got a collection of FPs.

David

Add that to the clients bill "replacement pen"

That is the kind of situation why I don't want my good stuff in the office...people that don't know what a fountain pen is and how to use it. shudder

kaisnowbird
January 8th, 2014, 08:22 PM

David

Arhhhhhhhhhhhh~ Such horror! and so brutally barbaric! Thank goodness I don't have to deal with clients like this.
:smow:

ac12
January 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Kai
The problem is you could have BOSSES that are clueless about using a fountain pen.

kaisnowbird
January 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Too true. My boss is very precious about his rollerball gel pen - I'm talking about the $5 variety - that he takes with him everywhere. The other day, we were working on a report together at his desk. At the end he had to attend a meeting, so he stood up and tried to grab my Parker Silver Vacumatic lying on top of my note book. I moved it out of his way and he stilled tried to grab it until I promptly protested: "Hey, get your own pen!". Off he went with his favourite skippy gel baby. :bolt:

Jerome Tarshis
January 9th, 2014, 12:44 AM
I've been out of "going to work" in an office five days a week for a long time. When I was doing that, and now when I sometimes do work in somebody else's office on a temporary basis, the everyday fountain pen would be a Parker 51 Aero and the backup pen, seldom needed, is a Parker Jotter ballpoint.

For working at home there is greater diversity of fountain pens and a little diversity of inks. In an office I want everything to look inconspicuous, wonderful conversation pieces need not apply, and I want everything to write well from the first downstroke.

pengeezer
January 9th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Just added to rotation:

Sheaffer Tuckaway (Tucky!)
Parker 51 Ariel Kullock (Is it vintage or not?)
And an amazing celluloid Sheaffer Flat-Top that I've had for several years and knew it had a great nib but didn't use cos it's a lever-filler, wow!

Oh for goodness's sake, how could I have forgotten the Hardtmuth Studio? Doi!

Can you share a pic of the Hardtmuth? Those seem to be
a vintage pen that doesn't come up too often!

John

pengeezer
January 9th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The vintage pens that I've carried to work in the past have been
an Omas 556F in grey pearl w/a springy nib; Waterman 92V in Nacre; 1938 Reticular Vac in black;
1940 Emerald Vac Maxima; 1936 Waterman Ink-Vue w/silver zig-zag pattern; 1980 Parker 75 in
silver plate barleycorn pattern; 1936 OS black Vac.Ooops--almost
forgot early 1950's Conway Stewart in black ice.

Also carry contemporary pens w/me too......

John