PDA

View Full Version : SOLD FS: 7 Magnificent Sheaffer Balances (vintage)

popcod
March 25th, 2018, 07:05 PM
For sale this week are 7 beautiful examples of one of the most celebrated pens of the 30s: Sheaffer’s Balance.

https://i.imgur.com/e2EyVHL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WoW296P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pmwwCCd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jFTljwa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S0bEdtw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uXu1sXw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SHgr2SM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MM5mWYu.jpg

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs over the past few months. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. These pens have no cracks (except #7), chips, personal engravings, missing parts, bent nibs, misaligned tines, or threading issues.

1. 1936-9 Sheaffer Balance Milady (Carmine, GPT, lever filler, 14k two-tone F nib). Sheaffer catalogues designate this short, slender model with a #5 Feathertouch nib as the “Milady.” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Measures 4 3/4” capped and 5 1/2” posted. Two-tone 14k #5 Sheaffer Feathertouch nib lays down a smooth and consistent F line (see writing sample). Firm, but not a nail. Streamlined “radius” clip indicates 1936-39 manufacture. Transparent window in section for checking ink level. **Condition** is superb. Deep, fully legible imprint and smooth, lustrous finish. The only negligible flaw is a sliver of brassing on the bottom of the clip ball. Price: $75 SOLD

2. 1934-6 Sheaffer Balance #3 (Grey Marble/Red Vein, GPT, lever filler, 14k XXF nib). One of the more sought after Balance colors: quite difficult to find this clean. This short, slender model measures 4 3/4” capped and 5 1/2” posted. One expects to find this model with a #3 nib (like pen 3 below), but this one is outfitted a Sheaffer’s #33: more typical of later Balances but of the same size. This firm nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF (see writing sample). Condition is superb: no brassing to the trim, deep, fully legible imprint and smooth, lustrous finish. Color is a bright and even grey with no discoloration – most have discolored to green/brown hues. Great depth and chatoyance in person, while the red veins resemble molten lava seeping from the core. The only notable flaws are some pin-sized marks on the section (zoom in to nobs photo). Price: $90 $85 SOLD

3. 1934-6 Sheaffer Balance Craftsman Boxed Set (Ebonized Pearl, GPT, lever filler, 14k XXF nib). Set includes FP, working mechanical pencil, and factory box (see detail photo). Another one of the most desirable Balance colors, Ebonized Pearl features genuine Abalone chips inserted in the celluloid. This is the full-length, slender model, measuring 5 7/16” capped (MP measures 5 1/4”). 14k Sheaffer’s #3 nib lays down a consistent XF line with a slight softness/springiness that gives it a buttery smooth feel (see writing sample). Condition is excellent, with no brassing but for a 2mm triangle to the edge of the cap band on the left side (visible in the timestamp photo, but so small it’s hard to make out) and one small spot on the side of the clip ball. Hardly worth mentioning, but I like to err on the side of full-disclosure. On a lot of these pens, the celluloid surrounding the Abalone chips has so discolored that they lose their luster, but this one has bright even color across the barrel and cap. Deep, fully legible imprint and smooth finish to the surface aside from a couple scratches on the ends of the pen. Mechanical pencil has no brassing or notable scratches and is fully functional. A truly beautiful set. Price: $140 $130 SOLD

4. 1936-9 Sheaffer Balance Admiral** (Ebonized Pearl, GPT, lever filler, 14k two-tone XF/F nib). Another pen in the striking Ebonized Pearl celluloid – a step up in price from the Craftsman model when sold. This is the full-length, standard girth, non-Lifetime model, measuring 5 7/16” capped. Sheaffer’s Feathertouch and Lifetime nibs are some of the smoothest out there. The 14k two-tone #5 FT nib on this pen is no exception, laying down a smooth and consistent XF/F line (depending on ink, see writing sample). **Condition** is near mint, with no discoloration or brassing to the trim. Visulated window for checking ink level in the section shows great transparency. Deep, fully legible imprint and smooth finish to the surface with no noteworthy scratches. Price: $155 SOLD

5. 1930-1 Sheaffer Balance Lifetime “Statesman”** (Marine Green, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF/F nib). Although it predates the nomenclature, this is the full-length, standard girth, white-dot model that Sheaffer would come to call the Statesman. Measures 5 7/16” capped. After reading an article Richard Binder wrote years ago, in which he recounts his search for the perfect Balance in this color, I’ve always had a fondness for Marine Green. Something about this understated celluloid is at once classic and elegant to my eye. My own MG Balance is among my favorite writers. And this one gives it a run for its money. Its thick, firm 14k Lifetime nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF/F line (depending on ink, see writing sample). Condition is near mint, with bright, even color, no brassing to the trim (not even the clip ball!), deep, fully legible imprint, and smooth finish to the surface with no noteworthy scratches. Price: $170 SOLD

6. 1934 Sheaffer Balance Oversized Autograph** (Marine Green, GPT, lever filler, 14k two-tone F nib). Measures 5 5/8" capped with cap OD of >1/2", as one would expect from an oversized pen. Solid gold clip and cap band stamped 14k. Cap band has been impressed with the elegant signature of 'P.J. Jernigan'. Wrapped-style celluloid with seam down the side uncommon for this color. Sizeable two-tone Lifetime nib in the upturned "Waverly" style lays down a buttery smooth and consistent F line (see writing sample). Condition: near mint, with bright, even color to the barrel and cap, and deep, fully legible barrel imprint. No brassing whatsoever to the trim. Deep, fully legible imprint, and smooth finish to the surface. Restored with silicone sac and ready to write. A beautiful, collector-grade example of this pen. Note: Silicone sacs can cause ink to seep into the cap if the pen is not stored nib-up. If buyer prefers, I can replace it with a latex sac on request at no extra cost. Price: $290 SOLD

7. 1934-6 Sheaffer Balance Loaner/Service Pen (Cherry Red, NPT, lever filler, 14k XF nib). Here’s a rare bird. During the golden age of fountain pens Sheaffer produced so-called Loaner or Service pens in limited numbers for merchants, who loaned them out to customers while their own pens were being serviced. The Balance Loaners are generally cherry red, which is not a catalogued color, and bear the imprint of the vendor as well as Loaner designation. This is one of those pens. After a bit of research, I was able to trace it back to a small jeweler/watchmaker once located in the town of Endicott in Upstate New York (see advert: https://imgur.com/AAZViOq). The shop apparently offered fountain pen repairs. The pen is of the same dimensions as the Craftsman above: full-length, slender girth, measuring 5 7/16” capped. 14k Sheaffer’s #3 nib lays down a smooth and consistent line. Condition is decidedly user-grade. Like Sheaffer’s demonstrators, these pens do not appear often. When they do they’re usually in pretty rough shape, having been passed through the hands of countless customers. The lever on this pen is clean, but the relatively fragile nickel plating on the cap band and clip shows significant brassing. And while there are no hairlines in the cap lip, there are several stress-cracks and some crazing on the ends of the cap and barrel. All imprints, however, are deep and fully legible. I’m sort of on the fence about listing this pen because it fits into my collection focus and is more relic than writer. Yet I own another that’s nearly identical (aside from the imprint), so I thought I might include it as relevant to the theme, if only to share a rarely seen piece of Sheaffer history. Price: $175 $150 SOLD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping: To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:
• USPS First-Class with tracking for $4;
• USPS Priority with tracking for $7.
Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for roughly a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rubendh
March 26th, 2018, 04:08 AM
If (4) falls through, I'd like to buy it!

popcod
April 1st, 2018, 01:52 PM
Reductions made on remaining pens :bump2:

Dinkhart
July 10th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Is the loaner pen still available? Thanks.

popcod
July 10th, 2018, 08:36 PM
It is indeed – will send you a PM