PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Pen Show - 21 & 22 April 2018 at Hofstra University campus

FredRydr
March 28th, 2018, 01:10 PM
http://www.lipenshow.com

I plan to be there with a vendor table. Rick is planning to bring some nice vintage pen cabinets, too.

Fred

earthdawn
March 29th, 2018, 09:55 AM
SOON !!!!

Can't wait for the hometown show.... No having to fly in lol

Frank
April 11th, 2018, 09:46 PM
One week to go!

Look for my tables!
New Brands! New Products!

Stay Tuned!

Frank
Fed Pens

Sailor Kenshin
April 24th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Who attended? How was it? Reports, anyone?

FredRydr
April 24th, 2018, 06:52 AM

I didn't see you this year! I had a table on Saturday (only), and it was busy with crowded aisles. Alas, I didn't have a multitude of sales. Despite its smaller size, usually the LI show is the most lucrative of the year, but not 2018. Behind us, the Bungubox ink people who came all the way from Japan had a display of their wares. Wile E Coyote showed me a bottle of their ink he was happy to snag without having to order from across the globe. Ron Zorn had a lever box for my DeLaRue; what a find! I met one of my pen pals, and that was cool. There's a big black Sheaffer black top with a wonderful EF flex nib that I wanted, but I restrained myself. There was a crowd around the Kennedy's tables waiting for pen repairs and nib grinding. I forgot to buy more No. 18 sacs. Finally, I wanted to be on the other end of the Verazzano bridge by 5:00 for a Sri Lankan dinner on Staten Island with other FPGeeks, so I packed up and left at 3:30. Bad news: someone opted for a five-finger discount of an Esterbrook from my table. Last year it was my packet of N.O.S. Montblanc celluloid-era ebonite feeds that disappeared. I have more trouble with theft at that show. Nonetheless, I'll be back next year.

Sailor Kenshin
April 24th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the report; we couldn't attend this year due to last-minute surprise guests from out of town.

It sounds like it was fun, and I would have loved the Bungubox table, but yikes. Theft? Very sorry to hear that.

penwash
April 24th, 2018, 10:48 AM

I didn't see you this year! I had a table on Saturday (only), and it was busy with crowded aisles. Alas, I didn't have a multitude of sales. Despite its smaller size, usually the LI show is the most lucrative of the year, but not 2018. Behind us, the Bungubox ink people who came all the way from Japan had a display of their wares. Wile E Coyote showed me a bottle of their ink he was happy to snag without having to order from across the globe. Ron Zorn had a lever box for my DeLaRue; what a find! I met one of my pen pals, and that was cool. There's a big black Sheaffer black top with a wonderful EF flex nib that I wanted, but I restrained myself. There was a crowd around the Kennedy's tables waiting for pen repairs and nib grinding. I forgot to buy more No. 18 sacs. Finally, I wanted to be on the other end of the Verazzano bridge by 5:00 for a Sri Lankan dinner on Staten Island with other FPGeeks, so I packed up and left at 3:30. Bad news: someone opted for a five-finger discount of an Esterbrook from my table. Last year it was my packet of N.O.S. Montblanc celluloid-era ebonite feeds that disappeared. I have more trouble with theft at that show. Nonetheless, I'll be back next year.

Thanks for the report, Fred. I always enjoy reports from pen shows, wish I live close to more than just one. :)

Do you see the rise in numbers of younger attendees this year?

And sorry for your Esterbrook loss.

FredRydr
April 24th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Do you see the rise in numbers of younger attendees this year?

And sorry for your Esterbrook loss.
I don't know if there was an increase of young attendees, but hands down, Long Island has more young people than any show. Of course, it is held in the student union building of a university, with dining areas in the same building, so it's not surprising.

Sadly, the swiped Esterbrook wasn't even my pen, but a friend's pen who asked to put his half-dozen pens on my table. It was a pretty pen, but certainly not the most valuable item on display.