PDA

View Full Version : Diamine Red Dragon

carpedavid
September 7th, 2010, 05:29 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4960631921_ff350868b0.jpg

I love red inks, and Diamine Red Dragon has just won a place in my top three. I’ve had a lot of experience with J. Herbin, Iroshizuku, and Noodler’s inks, but, up until recently, had no experience with Diamine inks. I’d read many flattering things about them online, so I figured that I should give them a shot. The lovely folks at Diamine were nice enough to send over six bottles for review, and Red Dragon is the first of them.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/4960628855_f58dd26b94.jpg

To appeal to my tastes, an ink brand has to possess a certain set of qualities. They need to have bold, interesting colors with moderate to good shading; they should be resistant to feathering; and they need to be quick to dry on the paper I most often use them with. Noodler’s inks are often bold and interesting, but take forever to dry on higher quality paper. J Herbin inks possess tremendous shading potential, but are often watery and prone to feathering. Thus far, Diamine seems to possess all of the qualities I've mentioned.

Red Dragon is a newly released color from Diamine – one that is just beginning to show up in US retailers. It is a fantastic orange red (as opposed to a pink red or purple red) with earthy overtones. It is aptly named, as it is bold and powerful, yet dignified in character. It is slightly darker than J Herbin 1670 – which I would describe as its closest competitor – and is similarly highly saturated. It has a moderate level of shading – enough to be appealing to those who like shading, but not so much to be distracting to those who prefer a solid line.

This ink has a nice level of readability. It’s not a blindingly bright red, like J Herbin Rouge Caroubier. Rather, it is pleasant to read on both bright white and off white paper, which makes it easy to use for daily writing. Like most red inks, it’s probably not appropriate for conservative business use, but it is unlikely to offend anyone. In such settings, it could easily be used for highlighting or proofing.

The drying time for Red Dragon was quite acceptable. On the slow-drying Rhodia paper, it was dry to the touch at eight seconds. On garden-variety copier paper, it dried slightly more quickly at six seconds.

Show-though was noticeable on Moleskine journal paper and minimal on Rhodia paper, but in neither case did I find it bothersome. I did notice a small amount of bleed-through on the thin paper of a Moleskine cahier, but not on any of the other papers I tested.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/4960628949_a563e1c3b5.jpg

Diamine inks are available in a 30ml plastic bottle and an 80ml glass bottle, both of which are utilitarian in appearance. The smaller plastic bottle has a neck that is very small in diameter. I found that some of my larger pens, like a Lamy 2000, would not fit all the way in, which made getting to the ink a bit of a challenge. My recommendation would be to go for the larger bottle.

Red Dragon has managed to unseat Iroshizuku Momiji as my second favorite red ink, which is something I never thought would happen. Its depth of character, good behavior, strong readability, and versatility put it just behind J. Herbin 1670 on my list, which is no small feat. I recommend it heartily.

Review Notes: for the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.9mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Joy. For the narrow strokes, I used an EF steel nib on a Lamy Safari. The paper is Rhodia 80gsm from a No. 16 Rhodia Bloc Pad.

Note on this review: a sample of this ink was provided for review purposes by Diamine Ink.

lovemy51
March 4th, 2011, 03:08 AM
awesome review (as always) and ink! my fav red at the moment!

jerry0503222
September 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM
awesome review (as always) and ink! my fav red at the moment!

Freddy
March 6th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Red Dragon is, indeed, a beautiful red. Thanks for an excellent review.

Shashinjitsu
March 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I also love this ink. I haven't really tried out many reds but I liked the color samples I saw online. It's not a screaming red so it seems suited for every day use, at least I use it every day and nobody has commented on my choice of color.

Jon Szanto
March 7th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Very much my go-to red. Unfortunately, unlike David, I've been unable to get J. Herbin 1670 to behave in my pens - clogging, skipping, drying out. I love that ink, and it would be my #1 if it weren't for the problems. I actually have been using a blend that is primarily Red Dragon with a couple hints of other inks to move it more in the 1670 area, but I could live with RD straight out of the bottle, as well.

peterpen53
March 8th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I saw somebody use Diamine Oxblood a few weeks ago, which I liked very much. Darker, but not as dark as it appears in this comparison. I was planning to try it, but Red Dragon might also be a good choice (if only for the name).

Cheers,
Peter

KrazyIvan
March 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I never really considered red ink but this looks really tempting.

Jeph
August 22nd, 2013, 02:42 AM
I finally bought a bottle of this ink after sampling several reds. I may be a little late to the party, but this is now my favorite red as well after a little less than a day of use.

auto winder
August 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Nice review! This is my favourite red too.

paul
August 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
I'm a big fan of their Wild Strawberry. Brighter than Red Dragon and it lays down with a faint dark outline.

Laura N
August 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM
I love this ink.

KrazyIvan
August 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
After a sample, I really must buy a bottle.

cwent2
August 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Ordered mine yesterday. Received 24 Aug - I like it, flows nicely and is not bleeding through any paper that I have tried yet!

Jon Szanto
August 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Buy, or buy not. There is no must.

Laura N
August 22nd, 2013, 03:14 PM

"There is no must in art because art is free."

-Wassily Kandinsky

Jon Szanto
August 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM

"There is no must in art because art is free."

-Wassily Kandinsky

KrazyIvan
August 22nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
There is also a rat. :p

Jon Szanto
August 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
Not without transmogrifying the sequence of the letters. Sometimes even coming up with new words for old...

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/ladle/)

Ok, sorry - I'll stop derailing. I really do like my Red Dragon! :)

milanjuza
August 26th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the review. I love Red Dragon - very deep, very saturated, elegant and well behaved. So far, my favourite red ink!

cwent2
August 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I'll second that - I like it more than Syrah diamine.

Jon Szanto
August 26th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Syrah.

Feardorcha
August 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM
You guys are costing me a fortune posting all these great inks.

cwent2
August 29th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Enable, Enable.......

:)

KrazyIvan
August 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Feel the power of the Dark Side. :crazy_pilot:

Feardorcha
August 29th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Enable, Enable.......

:)

I can't help but feel that, when the FPGeeks rise up and take over the world, this will be our call to arms

Gareth
September 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Red Dragon was my favorite red too - that is, until I tried Diamine Matador...

BikerBabe
September 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Red Dragon is a personal favourite here as well, I often use it in at least one of my everyday pens.
I love the rich colour and the no-problems ink flow, even when writing fast.
Yes, it does bleed through a little in my notebooks, but it could be a lot worse, it isn't nearly as bad as it is with Parker Quink or Barock ink.
I've got the 30 ml plastic bottle, I'll be getting the 80 ml glass bottle version, as well as the Oxblood the next time I get paid. ;)

ukpenman
September 17th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I took receipt of a bottle of Red Dragon and also Ancient Copper last week, both fantastic earthy colours. Diamine produce some really terrific shades....and so many of them!!

yipe
October 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I already have a bottle of Diamine Oxblood, and a sample of Diamine Syrah (of which I want a full bottle) now Red Dragon and Matador are calling to me.

Look I get it Diamine, you know what kind of reds I like, now have some mercy! I can't JUST have reds!

penultress
October 6th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I don't know why it took so long for me to get Red Dragon for my Nakaya Decapod in aka-tamenuri. It's perfect!

caribbean_skye
October 6th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I've recently gotten samples of Diamine Red Dragon and Matador which I LOVE. I already own Diamine Oxblood. But have also discovered I really like Noodlers Rattler Red Eel. Anyone else like this one?

dobemom
October 7th, 2013, 05:15 PM
When I first saw Red Dragon on my monitor I thought 'this might be nice'...but now, having seen it in your writing sample I've upgraded to WOW. Nice review, Carpedavid, and really nice writing!

VertOlive
October 24th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Newbie chiming in here. This was one of the first 4 samples I chose from Goulet Pens when I got my first pen this month. What a red! Really enjoying it--looks like I pricked my finger and wrote a whole page!