PDA

View Full Version : Red - Olive RR

Hawk
April 1st, 2018, 09:29 AM
Maybe I’m all wet but I have a trumpet that has the above colors. It appears to be quite similar to the Waterman ripple colors. I polished it and this is what I got. In areas that are normally not exposed to sunlight etc., the color is the same. I hesitate to be more aggressive to remove more material to see if it is black underneath. Any thoughts?

FredRydr
April 1st, 2018, 01:04 PM
Mark Hoover's "Deoxodizer" for hard rubber works best on red and black. http://www.lbepen.com/deoxidizer-instructions

Hawk
April 7th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Fred,
Rereading the thread on “deoxidation”, reblackening etc., there seems to be different products and methods that have varied results. Personally, I don’t think I’ll try any of those products unless I want to experiment with them.
Based on your reply, I feel that you believe the olive color was black at one time rather than a different color like Waterman pens.

FredRydr
April 7th, 2018, 02:20 PM
...Based on your reply, I feel that you believe the olive color was black at one time rather than a different color like Waterman pens.
That is correct. Under the layer of discolored ("olive") hard rubber it is red and black. By any name (ripple, woodgrain, rosewood or mottled), red and black hard rubber really pops when the discolored layer is removed. There are products that stain the hard rubber, but obviously they are inappropriate for colors other than black.

FredRydr
April 10th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Today, four Wahl-Eversharp hard rubber pens are undergoing the treatment, one black chased and three red and black woodgrain (a/k/a "rosewood"):

Followed by mineral oil bath and wipe-down:

Hawk
April 10th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Do you have a picture of the before pens?

FredRydr
April 11th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Do you have a picture of the before pens?
No, I didn't take a before shot.

Sagebrush64
April 11th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Out Freaking Standing!!

Cyril
March 30th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Amazing work Fred,:)

fountainpagan
March 31st, 2019, 01:43 AM
Fantastic product!!!

Thank you.