PDA

View Full Version : Nib grinding question

Joker
May 6th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I want to buy a finer then extra fine nib for my Safari. Is there any place I could buy the nib and have that location grind it for me? What is the best way to get an extra extra fine Safari nib?

Thanks
Joker

KrazyIvan
May 6th, 2013, 06:26 PM
The nibs are in the price range that buying two would be good nib grind practice. ;)

dannzeman
May 7th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I don't know of any retailers who sale Safari nibs and do nib grinds. I think you're going to have to buy them and send them to be ground. You could just have the retailer ship the nib straight to the nibmeister.

UK Mike
May 7th, 2013, 08:46 AM
The cost of the grind would be way more than the pen is worth. I doubt the investment is worth it on a Safari.

If you don't think the Extra Fine is sufficient, you could merely turn the pen over and write on the "back" of the nib. You may need to smooth it a little. But it will be Extra extra fine.

Or as others have said - the nibs are cheap enough to try grinding yourself.

The final way is to ditch the Safari and go to an Extra Fine Japanese pen.

KrazyIvan
May 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
+1 on the Japanese Fine or EF. Nothing like a Pilot F to get your needlepoint on. :D

seffrican
May 7th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Well and good on suggesting Japanese pens and expensive nib treatments, but a Safari nib is like $5 and emery boards are even cheaper. It's not going to be expensive to find out what a Safari with XXF is like.

Joker
May 7th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Well and good on suggesting Japanese pens and expensive nib treatments, but a Safari nib is like $5 and emery boards are even cheaper. It's not going to be expensive to find out what a Safari with XXF is like.

For me I really like how the Safari fits my hand. Not sure what to do, I have some 78gs but they are not as nice as the Safari. Where are you seeing nibs for $5? I would like that price. LOL

seffrican
May 10th, 2013, 07:33 AM

For me I really like how the Safari fits my hand. Not sure what to do, I have some 78gs but they are not as nice as the Safari. Where are you seeing nibs for $5? I would like that price. LOL

I don't recall the exact price, but Cult Pens sells Lamy Z50 nibs for a few quid each, take a look at their site.

Joker
May 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Tnx I will.

UK Mike
May 13th, 2013, 02:16 AM
The Lamy Extra Fine nib is currently £5.42 excluding VAT/Shipping.

If you want to start with a Fine and work your way finer, the fine nib is only £3.75 excluding VAT/Shipping

Tony Rex
July 8th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Dear ladies and gents,

Pardon this necropost, as I don't want to create a new thread. Here's my handy work for a day. I worked slow because I don't want to stuff up too much and lose it. It wasn't easy to keep the lines thin and smoothness to all directions. Especially the curving upstrokes. Definitely not for the faint hearted, and experiment with a steel nib first.. Cheers

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5481/9237254913_ff9fabb967_z.jpg

jacksterp
July 8th, 2013, 07:39 AM
GRRREAT job Tony!

Tony Rex
July 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/9266975460_5b77f662f6.jpg

I'm done here. Cheers.

Fawkes
July 21st, 2013, 05:58 PM
You could always try someone like Greg Minuskin or John Mottishaw but the work will be more than what a Safari is worth. I recently contacted Greg about having a 2000 nib reground to a .35 mm point and the work would cost 110 USD. I hope that gives you an idea of what to expect price wise.

dannzeman
July 22nd, 2013, 08:23 AM
You could always try someone like Greg Minuskin or John Mottishaw but the work will be more than what a Safari is worth. I recently contacted Greg about having a 2000 nib reground to a .35 mm point and the work would cost 110 USD. I hope that gives you an idea of what to expect price wise.
That sounds more like the price including a nib retip. I don't know of any nibmeister that would charge over $50 for this type of grind. Definitely shop around and search for feedback about any nibmeisters you're thinking about sending your pen to.

reprieve
July 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
That sounds more like the price including a nib retip. I don't know of any nibmeister that would charge over $50 for this type of grind. Definitely shop around and search for feedback about any nibmeisters you're thinking about sending your pen to.

I completely agree. Especially if you want a super extra-fine nib, contact Michael Masuyama. His prices are more than reasonable and his turn around time is usually quite good; his work is always excellent.

Fawkes
July 22nd, 2013, 11:19 PM
I thought it was pricey too but he said it was due to the extremely fine point and the precision work it would take to ensure it would write a consistent needle point on a variety of papers with different inks. I decided not to go for it.

I usually use Mike for all my work but I thought it might be nice to try someone else.