PDA

View Full Version : Lubricated Ink

thagbert
May 6th, 2013, 06:37 PM
There seems to be some resistance to lubricated ink among some people. Is it considered cheating? "If your pen doesn't write well without lubricated ink, then there is something wrong with your pen!"

Noodler's Eel or Polar series would be an example.

Laura N
May 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I don't know that I've ever heard that. But it sounds silly, which is kind of my response to those sorts of categorical put-downs, no matter the context.

By "lubricated ink" do you mean ink that flows well or do you mean ink that's had something added, like Noodler's Eel? I confess to enjoying the former and not needing the latter. But I don't think it's cheating. If it improves your pen's performance, that sounds like a good thing to me.

KrazyIvan
May 6th, 2013, 06:47 PM
If its Noodler's Eel inks, that's to lubricate the piston on piston fillers. At least that's what I was told.

Mags
May 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I use cactus.gruene eel lubed ink....it flows so well and never dries in the sense it smears if I am not careful with my south paw.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

GourmetPens
May 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I do not resist lol. I'll use whatever color I like in whatever works. But then, I am an ink harlot...

GardenWeasel
May 6th, 2013, 07:53 PM
For black ink, I am really a fan of Black Eel. Love it!

AtomicLeo
May 12th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Noodler's Eel black ink is a great ink that I have used several times to fix cranky pens. Was not impressed with the red eel ink, ( I think it is called Red Rattler). Wouldn't dry and had too much flow. I love the Polar Blue color but it doesn't flow well at all. I know it is listed as a lubricated ink but that has not been my experience. Too bad, because I haven't found a blue that even comes close to the color

thagbert
May 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I use Noodler's Purple Heart and Cactus Fruit. Both lubricated. I LOVE these colors. In fact they are loaded in my two carry pens.

I have no issues other than being a little wet.

cedargirl
May 13th, 2013, 05:28 PM
We may be talking about two different things here - I quote Richard Binder's website:

"
Lubrication. Inks that lubricate well score high because they give you a smooth glide instead of making your nib feel dry and gritty so that you have to push harder. Some users refer to inks that lubricate well as being “greasy,” but there is no actual grease in fountain pen ink.

Note
Lubrication, as used here, does not refer to the addition of special substances for the ostensible purpose of lubricating the pen’s piston or other filler parts. It refers to an inherent quality of all fountain pen inks, a quality that depends upon the choices made with regard to the ink’s basic components."

thagbert
May 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM
We may be talking about two different things here - I quote Richard Binder's website:

"
Lubrication. Inks that lubricate well score high because they give you a smooth glide instead of making your nib feel dry and gritty so that you have to push harder. Some users refer to inks that lubricate well as being “greasy,” but there is no actual grease in fountain pen ink.

Note
Lubrication, as used here, does not refer to the addition of special substances for the ostensible purpose of lubricating the pen’s piston or other filler parts. It refers to an inherent quality of all fountain pen inks, a quality that depends upon the choices made with regard to the ink’s basic components."

Surely there must be an additive to "Lubricated" inks to decrease friction, increase flow.

Jon Szanto
May 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM
There seems to be some resistance to lubricated ink among some people. Is it considered cheating? "If your pen doesn't write well without lubricated ink, then there is something wrong with your pen!"
Why on Earth would I (or you) care about someone saying something like that? Cheating?

They can blow American Blue Eel out their ass for all I care. And, yeah, I use that ink in one or two pens, where it just matches up very well. I'd squirt them with it, I would...

thagbert
May 13th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Why on Earth would I (or you) care about someone saying something like that? Cheating?

They can blow American Blue Eel out their ass for all I care. And, yeah, I use that ink in one or two pens, where it just matches up very well. I'd squirt them with it, I would...

Don't care at all. Just looking for their motivation. Often the stated reason is not always the real reason.

Jon Szanto
May 13th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Oh. Good luck finding out their motivation.

blopplop
May 14th, 2013, 11:32 PM

Noodler's Eel or Polar series would be an example.

Any ink that makes my pen glide across the page better-- I LIKE.

southpaw52
May 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Does lubricated ink actually make for better ink flow? If that were the case won't all ink would be lubricated to make them function better? Personally I do not like my ink on steroids.

thagbert
May 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I have not read anything definitive here. I think the question should be;

Is lubrication an incidental byproduct or an intended consequence through specific formulations?

Chemyst
May 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Does lubricated ink actually make for better ink flow? If that were the case won't all ink would be lubricated to make them function better? Personally I do not like my ink on steroids.

If you push the limit too far, you end up with "nib creep", which is disliked by some users.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Is lubrication an incidental byproduct or an intended consequence through specific formulations?

Depends on the ink.

Some of it is a byproduct of using dyes or other ink components that require a higher surfactant loading.

Other inks are intentionally loaded with surfactant specifically to improve flow.