PDA

View Full Version : SOLD MB 146 Vintage Celluloid

kyleparsons4842
April 9th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Hello,

Up next for sale is another one of my favorites. This is a vintage MB 146 made from celluloid, not the precious resin like modern ones. Not only does this celluloid have a wonderful feel to it, but also still smells like celluloid after all these years! The overall body is a little smaller than current generation 146's and has a very comfortable contoured grip, unlike the cylindrical sections nowdays.

The nib is one of the softest nibs I've ever used and has quite a bit of flex to be had, and opens up easily with little pressure giving your writing a wonderful bit of character. There is a bit of scratches on the nib surface and the imprint is worn, but it works flawlessly as it just came back from tuning from Mark Bacas. The feed is the "ski slope" style and has never run dry on me, or burped.

The piston filler is the famous telescoping piston, and has been fully refurbished so it will last for years of use. While there are microscratches on the body, there is nothing major and considering the pen is over 60 years old, I think it looks really good. As you can see from the pictures, the trims and clip are in good condition, with only the smallest bit of brassing on the very edge of the bottom of the clip (so minor you can only see it if you are looking for it under direct lighting). On the piston turning knob are the characters "146" and "0" referencing of course the model and the nib.

The ink window is unstained and has full transparency, though red tinted from the celluloid. The white finial has turned a little more milky over the years but is still clearly visible with no damage.

Pictures (lots, and more if you request):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sWrLYIWBL_SQgweWU1DOXIwW8w6scOZ0

Asking price: $650 shipped to CONUS

If you have questions, feel free to contact me here or via email at kyleparsons2001@Hotmail.com

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

fountainpenkid
April 9th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I'd snatch this up in an instant if I had the cash right now! After trying one for about a month, I can safely say these leave modern acryllic pens of similar caliber (including modern MBs) feeling insubstantial and uninspired. In performance too, it is stellar--the most comfortable pen I've ever used for a long writing session.

kyleparsons4842
April 9th, 2018, 04:03 PM
It really is something special! I never thought I'd enjoy it so much when I got it, but as soon as I used it for a bit of writing, it quickly became a favorite.

kyleparsons4842
April 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
SOLD! To the Texan with an impeccable taste in movies!