PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this?

Wuddus
April 10th, 2018, 03:16 PM
I picked up this cheap Chinese pen on ebay, but the listing didn't specify what it is. It seems to be a TWSBI "homage" with a Lamy style nib.

Wuddus
April 13th, 2018, 02:36 PM
It's a shame that this mystery hasn't been solved yet, as to be perfectly honest, it's a pen that I would recommend to someone wanting a cheap daily user. I'm glad I got two of these, and have even considered going back and getting a spare or two. I know it's early days with this pen, but for £1.40 delivered off the bay, I am really happy with it. It's comfortable for extended writing, and being a piston filler means that there's plenty of mileage of ink in there between fills, and being transparent you get plenty of advance warning of when a fill will be needed.

I think I've found my primary desk pens in these two. For now at least. I've no idea how it would cope over time, or whether the cap is liable to start cracking from posting, or how it would fare with an accidental quick voyage to the floor. The only reall downside for me, is that these don't fit very far into a 30ml Diamine bottle. However, that's easilly fixed, and my next order will be a couple of 80ml bottles specifically for these two pens.

Will these last the rest of my life and become inheritance pieces? Probably not. However if they give me a couple of years use, then for £1.40 each I will consider that money well spent. The outlay is less than a disposable fountain pen, and it feels more comfortable in hand that what a Pilot Petit looks like. In fact if this pen lasts just five fillings before conking out, I'd say it is still a bargain. I think my other pens are likely to get cleaned out and be taking a back seat for a while. I know some might turn their noses up at cheaper pens, particularly ones that are such an obvious "homage" to someone else's design, but this pen performs and feels exactly as I hoped for on a primary pen. I just didn't expect that I would find it on a pen of this cost. This was just meant to be something to learn from to guide further choices, choices which I don't think are necessary for a while now.

Chrissy
April 13th, 2018, 02:43 PM
It looks like a TWSBI to me too, but I'm not sure about the filler or the clip as well as the nib.

Wuddus
April 13th, 2018, 02:46 PM
It's certainly some kind of TWSBI clone, Chrissy. There are differences to the "named" TWSBI clones that I can find though, such as the Wing Sung version. The body is similar to the Wing Sung (3008?) but its a different nib, clip, and cap construction.

steelpanalley
April 14th, 2018, 01:22 AM
It's certainly some kind of TWSBI clone, Chrissy. There are differences to the "named" TWSBI clones that I can find though, such as the Wing Sung version. The body is similar to the Wing Sung (3008?) but its a different nib, clip, and cap construction.

Based on the videos of youtuber chrisrap52, I’d say it looks like this fountain pen has parts of the different versions of Wing Sung or Lanbitou fountain pens:

The cap has a clip of a Wing Sung 7363
The Lamy lookalike nib you can find on a Wing Sung 6128 or Lanbitou 3059
The transparent piston rod of a Wing Sung 618
The silver ring on the barrel, looks like a Wing Sung 698 or 3008, or a Lanbitou 3059

Wuddus
April 14th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Based on the videos of youtuber chrisrap52, I’d say it looks like this fountain pen has parts of the different versions of Wing Sung or Lanbitou fountain pens:

The cap has a clip of a Wing Sung 7363
The Lamy lookalike nib you can find on a Wing Sung 6128 or Lanbitou 3059
The transparent piston rod of a Wing Sung 618
The silver ring on the barrel, looks like a Wing Sung 698 or 3008, or a Lanbitou 3059

Wow! Thanks for the great info, I will take a look into all those pens. It seem like this one might be quite an oddity.

countrydirt
April 14th, 2018, 05:44 AM
I think it is a Wing Sung B698 which seems to be a real mash up of various copy parts to be slightly new.

Wuddus
April 14th, 2018, 06:03 AM
I think it is a Wing Sung B698 which seems to be a real mash up of various copy parts to be slightly new.

I don't think so, the cap screws on instead of clips on, and the twist knob for the piston doesn't push down and lock in position.

countrydirt
April 14th, 2018, 06:06 AM

I don't think so, the cap screws on instead of clips on, and the twist knob for the piston doesn't push down and lock in position.

Wow, must be a counterfeit of a copy of a copy. Sorry I didn't catch that. Well, that taps out my google skills, sorry I couldn't help more.

Wuddus
April 14th, 2018, 06:24 AM
No probs, thanks for the attempt :)

Lunaelsol
April 15th, 2018, 06:21 AM
it may be a caliarts

Wuddus
April 27th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Well, after a little more digging, it turns out that this pen is the 2018 version of the Wing Sung 3008. I had seen other 3008s and discounted them, but it seems they were older versions of that model, which explains the differences.

I've just ordered a couple more as spares for the princely sum of £1.23 each.

Lexaf
April 30th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Well, after a little more digging, it turns out that this pen is the 2018 version of the Wing Sung 3008. I had seen other 3008s and discounted them, but it seems they were older versions of that model, which explains the differences.

I've just ordered a couple more as spares for the princely sum of £1.23 each.

You're quite right. It's the 'new' version of the Wing Sung 3008 -2018. Difficult to identify as it does not carry any brand name or model number.
I also own one and I must say that for the ridiculously low price it's a very good pen. I bought different Chinese 'demonstrators' in the price segment $1,-- to $10,-- from different e-Bay sellers, just to find out if they were usable at all and what quality these cheap pens had to offer. This 3008 is one of the better pens in the group. Actually it is almost unbelievable they (the Chinese) can make a piston filler with this quality for such a low price.
Only thing I really did not like about it is the horrible clip. So I modified that and mounted a nickle plated vintage clip I had in my spare parts/repair box.

You can find the Wing Sung 3008 here (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-WING-SUNG-3008-Transparent-Color-Clip-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-0-5mm/173238959699?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D49093532167d468 78e5d1698ad24d459%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D 12%26sd%3D112671694832%26itm%3D173238959699&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851) on the Bay for us$2,-- (shipping included) and also here (https://www.ebay.com/itm/112671694832?ViewItem=&item=112671694832&var=413143723621) (where I bought it). I have the full transparant version, but they are also available in other (transparant) colors.

Wuddus
April 30th, 2018, 04:04 PM
The first two I got were £1.40 each, and I ordered the second two at £1.23 each. This is the only pen that I have bought multiples of, and I think it's an excellent pen for the money. Four great piston fillers for £5.26! I think the size and weight are perfect for me. One of the two that's here has a bit of a baby's bottom issue on the nib, but that should be an easy fix when my nail buffer thingyummyjobs arrive. I'm still waiting for the other two to arrive. I got all of them fully transparent. I'll let the ink add the necessary colour.

The nibs are interchangeable with Lamy nibs, and I've ordered a 1.5mm italic/stub to go on one of them. They can also be fully dismantled for servicing and cleaning. I wouldn't like to do that too often though, as the threads are very fine on the retaining ring and could easily strip/wear the plastic threads. The main reason that I bought four, is that I think the plastic on these might be prone to cracking after a while, or if it gets a bit of accidental rough handling. I don't post the cap for that very reason.

I don't mind the clip, as I don't tend to carry my fountain pens around. Most of mine tend to be "desk" pens. I only have one pen that I pocket carry (OHTO Tasche), so the clips on these aren't really an issue for me. That said, apart from being a little aesthetically challenged, it's actually a good clip. It's not a pocket ripper, and I thing the spring tension is spot on.

Lexaf
April 30th, 2018, 04:30 PM
(...) my nail buffer thingyummyjobs (.1.)

(...) interchangeable with Lamy nibs (.2.)

(...) I don't mind the clip, (...) a little aesthetically challenged (.3.)

1 Yesss! That is what I need! Where can I get a thingyummyjobs nail buffer? :hail:

2 Interchangeable with Lamy nibs. That's a great feature! :applause:
3 The clip: Uhmmmm ... aesthetically challenged ... that's what I mean, it's sooo ugly! :puke:

Wuddus
April 30th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I ordered six-way nail buffers off ebay. Two for £1 delivered. There's loads of them on there, four-way and six-way.

If you decide to do a nib swap, I found it really difficult to pull the nib and feed out, as there's nothing to get a good purchase on. It was easier to remove the rear retaining ring, pull out the piston, then poke the feed out from the back. I used a bit of brass rod, but improvise with whatever you have.

Lexaf
April 30th, 2018, 05:59 PM
(...) pull out the piston, then poke the feed out from the back (...)
Great! That is what I do when repairing/restoring old vintage piston fillers. I have the nib in a knock out block, so the section is supported. A (wooden) hammer and a rod that fits well does the work. (rod not too thin!, the diameter of the rod must pass the opening in the section, and should preferable just a but thinner than the diameter of the feeder. It does not always work. When the feeder has a breather tube or the little thingy that is used to accommodate a cartridge, you cannot knock the feeder out from the backside. Then pulling out, wriggle wriggle, is the only option.