PDA

View Full Version : Another mystery ink

FredRydr
April 13th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Please, would someone identify what this is? I don't recognize the label or bottle (it's like a large Herbin bottle). I've had it in my ink box for quite a while, and I cannot recall from whence it came. It is black or charcoal, and there's a ring of thick black sludge around the inside of the bottleneck just from sitting. TIA

Pterodactylus
April 13th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Looking at the label.

Could it be that this was an ink that was bundled with a Stipula Ventidue 22 pen?
Maybe within a set with pen and ink?

Chrissy
April 13th, 2018, 09:54 AM
I don't like the look of the black sludge, but the bottle looks nice enough. :) It looks like it might have come with a Stipula Ventidue 22 pen.

FredRydr
April 13th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Well, since the only Stipula pens I've owned have been used and came with no ink, this must have been a gift, or someone slipped it into my stuff at a show! Maybe it just needs a shake. Still, I think I'll empty the contents into the bin and use the bottle for dipping pens at pen shows - unless someone PMs me and says they'll collect it (re-gifting!) at the Long Island Pen Show next Saturday.

Chrissy
April 13th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Well, since the only Stipula pens I've owned have been used and came with no ink, this must have been a gift, or someone slipped it into my stuff at a show! Maybe it just needs a shake. Still, I think I'll empty the contents into the bin and use the bottle for dipping pens at pen shows - unless someone PMs me and says they'll collect it (re-gifting!) at the Long Island Pen Show next Saturday.

Try giving it a good shake first and see how it looks. :)

FredRydr
April 13th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Try giving it a good shake first and see how it looks. :)
Shaken and not stirred, and it looks okay. Very black. But why did the sludge rise to the top and not collect on the bottom? What substance is in ink that is lighter than water?

Think about it...would you put it in your fountain pen? :)

Chrissy
April 14th, 2018, 01:40 AM
The same happened with my bottle of Levenger Cobalt Blue, and it's been perfectly fine ever since I shook it. Maybe air bubbles clump together on the surface.

However, I wouldn't personally use the black as I'm no fan of any black inks. :)