PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Brilliant Red

Chrissy
April 15th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Today I'm reviewing Diamine Brilliant Red ink.

Diamine Brilliant Red is a mid-red dye based ink that could be viewed as a “standard daily red.” It’s not too pink nor too orange and is from Diamine Inks standard range.

Diamine Brilliant Red isn’t a heavily saturated red, it’s less saturated than Diamine Poppy Red and Sheaffer Skrip Red, but it’s that type of bright red.

I found it flowed well in the pens I used it with and I saw some shading particularly with the finer nibs. It looked more saturated with my Lamy B nib. Lubrication was good, and it felt smooth writing across all of the papers I used.

I cleaned out the Pilot Capless overnight before filling it with Brilliant Red. It seemed to be a little more concentrated two days later.

Flow Rate: Good. Not really wet and dries quickly.
Lubrication: Good. Smooth across the paper.
Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
Start-up: Immediate.
Saturation: Not heavily saturated ink.
Shading Potential: Some shading seen.
Sheen: None seen.
Show-Through:

Rhodia Dot Pad - just a little
Tomoe River 52gsm
Silvine lined pad
Generic lined pad
Field Notes

Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over 1 week in the pen.
Staining (pen): Not seen after several days in the pen - easy clean-up with water.
Staining (hands): Easy clean-up with bar soap.
Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but has slight water resistance.
Availability: Available in 80ml glass bottles, 30ml plastic bottles and cartridges from Diamine Inks web-site and many other outlets.

Wuddus
April 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Great review as always, Chrissy. Too bright for my tastes, and as I don't do editing or marking, I don't think I'd get usage from this ink. Always good to get other people's opinions though, as it helps broaden the mind.

Cheers
Wuddus

Chrissy
April 15th, 2018, 01:51 PM
You're welcome. :) Yes, definitely bright red. :)

fountainpenkid
April 15th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Any idea how colored celluloids respond to it? I might get it to replace my bottle of Organics Studio Mabell's Scarlet (a celluloid-safe bright red) that fell victim to fungus.

Chrissy
April 16th, 2018, 12:00 AM
Any idea how colored celluloids respond to it? I might get it to replace my bottle of Organics Studio Mabell's Scarlet (a celluloid-safe bright red) that fell victim to fungus.
Sadly I have no celluloid pens to try it with. All I can say is that Diamine has been making ink in Britain since 1864 so some of it must have been used in celluloid pens. :)

As saturated inks go, this one is less saturated than some other Diamine reds I've tried.