PDA

View Full Version : Parker Duofold NS - a Parker from Denmark

Laura N
May 7th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Here is a vintage Parker that I hadn't known anything about, but really like. A Parker Duofold NS. It's a modestly priced pen that turns out to be a great writer.

Unbeknownst to me, my two youngest children had hatched a plot with the rest of the family to get me a surprise birthday present at this year's Chicago Pen Show. My 12-year-old daughter picked out the pink Franklin-Christoph pen case pictured in the background, and my 15-year-old son picked out this pen. Knowing my affection for Parkers, he looked for a Parker, test drove a few, and bought this while I was mooning over pricey Italian celluloid.

First Impressions: Of course I couldn't have been more surprised and happy. At first I thought I was just being given the case, then I opened it up to see the pen. It looked like an English Duofold, which is close; it's a Danish Duofold.

At first glance, honestly, this is not a pen that grabs you. It's handsome and has the distinctive Parker features, but in some respects it looks like a plain black pen.

Brief Pen History: The pen seller had told my son that this was made in Denmark. Once we got home I googled "Danish Parker" and found its history on the wonderful parkercollector.net (http://parkerpens.net/ukduofold.html). Everything I'm writing here, I learned there. This model, the NS Duofold, debuted in 1946 and was manufactured for two years in England and Denmark. The NS stands for "New Style." I presume they dubbed it a New Style Duofold for marketing reasons. It's clearly based on the Vacumatic, rather than on the original Duofold. But the Vac was still on the market in 1946, so maybe they wanted another name.

A Danish NS is identified by its distinctive logo; mine has an anchor, which you can just see under the "REG. TM" in this picture.

Appearance and Design: It's a quiet pen, but attractive. The more I look at it, the more I really like it. It's just a classic Parker. The black with gold-filled trim is simple and elegant. It has nice proportions and visual balance. And I love those Parker details.

Capband:

Clip:

Jewel and Trim:

Construction and Quality: It's at least 65 years old and has been restored to perfect working order. So, great!

Weight and Dimensions: It is comparable in weight and size to its near contemporary, the Pelikan 400. Both are light and comfortable for me, either capped or uncapped.

Nib and Performance: The 14k nib is a bit small, and looks a little plain, but it is a great writer. It writes a medium line with perfect flow and no skipping, hesitation or drying out. I did smooth it just a bit with a micromesh buff stick. Unlike the nibs on my 1920s Duofolds, this has a bit of softness to it, even the tiniest amount of flex. It has a great feel while writing.

Filling system and Maintenance: It's a standard Parker button filler. This one fills easily and no doubt will prove a little time-consuming to clean, like its fellows.

Cost and Value: I don't know exactly what it cost, but I know it was under $100. Cosmetically, mine is in user condition, with some marks of wear, and a few spots on the section where the celluloid has discolored. I think it's a great deal. I'm a Parker fan, and this probably writes better for my taste than my American Duofolds and Vacs. The nib has more verve even than my beloved 51s. Because the Duofold NS doesn't have the cachet of those better-known Parkers, it's a happy surprise. This is the upside of shopping within a strict budget, finding a great vintage pen at an affordable price.

Conclusion: For me, of course, this pen has tremendous sentimental value. But I'm writing this because it turned out to be a great writer's pen on its own. It's a model that deserves some attention.

I probably would not have noticed this un-flashy pen in the hectic atmosphere of a pen show. I'd heard of English Duofolds, but never from anyone excited about them. I'm glad my son once again proved smarter and more perceptive than his mother. He didn't overlook this, he tried it, and he found a hidden gem.

carlc
May 7th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Ah! English Duofolds are wonderful pens - you're nearly there with the Danish NS (just across the North Sea). They can be had quite cheaply (relatively speaking) in the UK and are reliable and robust. I've never really looked at the Danish pens but that looks like a really nice pen - it certainly is 'handsome' (as you say).

What a lovely present and great children!

Your photography is superb as well.

All in all methinks your cup floweth over. :o

fountainpenkid
May 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the great review!

Murfie
May 7th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hey, Laura - great review of a special Parker variant. It's a treat reading the events surrounding the acquisition of a pen which will ensure it will always remain as a memento of a special moment in time.

OakIris
May 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I had never heard of these Parkers - didn't even realize that Parkers had been made in Denmark :redface: - so I read your review with great interest. Thank you for bringing this relatively unheralded model to our attention.

Your son picked a winner for you!

Holly

KrazyIvan
May 10th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I really love the look of that pen. I purchased a Slimfold that reminds me a lot of this Duofold. Same cap jewel, the cap band design. The nib looks similar but without the Duofold name. The filling system is aerometric though. It is a fun pen.

BikerBabe
May 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I had never heard of these Parkers - didn't even realize that Parkers had been made in Denmark :redface: - so I read your review with great interest. Thank you for bringing this relatively unheralded model to our attention.

Your son picked a winner for you!

Holly

If you find an older Parker pen, look for the "M.I.D" mark on the barrel below the Parker name, that means "Made In Denmark".
I've got a few M.I.D's myself.

Laura N: Thank you for the great review and the excellent photos. ;)