PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Pilot Metropolitan they aren’t using?

Wolfman Zack
April 20th, 2018, 09:10 AM
I want to try one of these out after hearing so much praise for them, and because I like my Prera a lot.
Before going ahead and ordering one, I thought I’d check here first, in case anyone has one sitting around unused.
I probably would prefer a <F> since I haven’t tried that fine a nib yet, but I know that I really enjoy a Japanese <M> so I wouldn’t say no to one of those either.

If you have one you would sell, please let me know.
Thanks.

penwash
April 21st, 2018, 06:31 PM
If you already have a Prera, then a Pilot Metro is almost a step back. The nib is identical and the metal body is heavier than the Prera.

So unless you like the shape or heavier pen, I can't think of any reason to spend anything on a Metro, given that you already have a Prera which IMHO a better pen already.

I think a Pilot Custom series would be a "step-up" from Prera if you stay within the brand.

VertOlive
April 21st, 2018, 09:01 PM
I have the exact opposite take on the Metro vs Prera than my friend penwash does. I prefer the Metro by far. In fact I have given three as gifts this year already.

I put a Plumix M italic in mine, or I'd send it to you as a PIF. That said, they're about $15 shipped on Amazon depending on color. Well worth it.

comixfan
April 21st, 2018, 09:40 PM
I actually agree with both Penwash and VertOlive, oddly enough. The Metropolitan *is* "almost a step back" from the Prera (and a *couple* of steps back in price) but I really do prefer the shape and the weight of the heavier Metro over the super light and almost uncomfortably short Prera (though the Prera has the most satisfying slip cap I've ever used-- I could play with that thing for hours).

I might have a few NIB Metros lying around (I like to buy them as graduation gifts for my student volunteers). I'll see what I've got and send you a PM.

KrazyIvan
April 21st, 2018, 09:44 PM
You can get Metropolitans at Staples now.

migo984
April 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM
I actually agree with both Penwash and VertOlive, oddly enough. The Metropolitan *is* "almost a step back" from the Prera (and a *couple* of steps back in price) but I really do prefer the shape and the weight of the heavier Metro over the super light and almost uncomfortably short Prera (though the Prera has the most satisfying slip cap I've ever used-- I could play with that thing for hours).

I might have a few NIB Metros lying around (I like to buy them as graduation gifts for my student volunteers). I'll see what I've got and send you a PM.

Ha! I’d fight for the Prera over the MR/Metropolitan any day. A posted Prera is a perfect fit for me. Love the lighter weight. Such well-made robust little pens. And that click of the slip cap...........!! :-)

I don’t like the section, step down or balance of the Metro. I’ve moved my Metros on to new homes. Only one I’ve kept is the dark green & black limited edition Cocoon (basically same as a Metro, just different finishes & costs a bit more).

Isn't it great that we can celebrate our differences & the diversity of pens :-)

Sailor Kenshin
April 22nd, 2018, 07:19 AM
I want to try one of these out after hearing so much praise for them, and because I like my Prera a lot.
Before going ahead and ordering one, I thought I’d check here first, in case anyone has one sitting around unused.
I probably would prefer a <F> since I haven’t tried that fine a nib yet, but I know that I really enjoy a Japanese <M> so I wouldn’t say no to one of those either.

If you have one you would sell, please let me know.
Thanks.

Check your PM box.