PDA

View Full Version : Too;s Needed to Re-Sack Pens

southpaw52
April 21st, 2018, 02:16 PM
I'm looking to begin re-sacking my Esterbrooks. What size sacks? What tools will be needed to do the re-sacking? Any additional advice on to re-sack would be helpful.

gbryal
April 21st, 2018, 02:40 PM
I bought a kit from a small operation that I think is no longer in business and has been everything I needed for all of the handful of resaccing and basic restoration I've needed.
Section pliers (can get from an automotive store: like this https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52990-Spark-Plug-Pliers/dp/B001PN88NC), a flex neck penlight, talc (real talc, don't need much) to dust the sac, forceps (if you need to manipulate any metal parts in the pen, like the j bar), scraper (for getting a petrified sac out). Shellac for securing the sac, a sharp knife or razor to cut it to size. You might need a heat gun or hair dryer but I think esterbrooks generally aren't shellac'd. The kit came with much more than that.

I think it's a 16 sac for esterbrook. I can't recall if I resac'd one or not.

Jon Szanto
April 21st, 2018, 02:47 PM
Check with Dale Beebe at pentooling.com and also places like Pendemonium (and maybe Andersons?) have collections of just the things you need. I would also HIGHLY recommend reading the tutorials at Richard Binders site regarding resaccing a pen. Esties are a great place to start and his articles will give you all your needed info, *still* preferred over the YouTube videos, many from sketchy sources (i.e. not solid repair people).

Paddler
April 22nd, 2018, 05:52 AM
Esterbrooks use a straight sided no.16 sac. I use a drop of shellac to anchor the sac. The tool suggestions listed above are good. I would add a hair dryer if a little heat is needed to loosen the section.

FredRydr
April 22nd, 2018, 10:34 AM
Sharp scissors for cutting the sac.

Farmboy
April 22nd, 2018, 12:48 PM
Ice Pick

FredRydr
April 22nd, 2018, 03:08 PM
Ice Pick
For making drinks after the last section is in place!

Chrissy
April 22nd, 2018, 04:01 PM
Ice Pick

Ooooh... :blink:

That's OK then. ;)

Farmboy
April 22nd, 2018, 05:05 PM
Ice Pick

I knew I could count on you to prefer block ice in your drink as much as I do.

Chrissy
April 23rd, 2018, 04:17 AM
I notice you didn't include me in the block ice. I'm sophisticated and make my own ice cubes.:bounce: