PDA

View Full Version : Really USPS?

Chrissy
April 24th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I sold a bottle of ink to someone who lives in Orlando FL. I bought the label through PayPal and checked that it was all correctly printed. I paid for the flagship service from Royal Mail - Tracked & Signed all the way to the recipients door.

This is the tracking (http://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/RY142371739GB) You will see that all went well until USPS got it at Kennedy Airport in New York. Then there is a new twist. Can you see and believe what happened next? It's apparently true. It has happened. Tracking can't lie. :cry:

Runnin_Ute
April 24th, 2018, 01:18 PM
The closest I have had to this was when I bought my m20o brown marbled from the writing desk. Tracking I was provided was for a packing going to Ireland and not mine, which was headed to Utah, USA.

Once it showed out for delivery or even had been delivered I contacted vendor and they sent me the correct tracking information....

Doesn't sound like the exact same situation though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FredRydr
April 24th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Don't fret. "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility." (https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=RY142371739GB%2C) Or it wants to stop by Aurora on the way to the USA.

carlos.q
April 24th, 2018, 02:12 PM
:jaw:

Chrissy
April 24th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I'm really hoping that the tracking is wrong and it's safely on it's way to Florida from New York, but I have this feeling it's going via Italy. :(

Kaputnik
April 24th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I've observed with USPS tracking on some items that they arrived at the facility in Springfield, MA, were sent to the wrong town in Connecticut, sent back to Springfield, and from there sent to my own Connecticut town. This is on a different level, however.

At least your package should have some interesting markings if it ever gets to Orlando. I'd save the packaging if I were the recipient.

Chrissy
April 24th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I've observed with USPS tracking on some items that they arrived at the facility in Springfield, MA, were sent to the wrong town in Connecticut, sent back to Springfield, and from there sent to my own Connecticut town. This is on a different level, however.

At least your package should have some interesting markings if it ever gets to Orlando. I'd save the packaging if I were the recipient.
I will wait and see if it arrives. It's a good job I pack my parcels well. The last one was stopped at Heathrow and couldn't be sent to Belgium because the ink bottle looked like a perfume bottle, according to the person looking at the scanner screen. That one was returned to Royal Mail Dangerous Goods, who wrote me that all ink is prohibited in Belgium. I wonder if they know that snippet of information? :(

I think I might give up on mailing Internationally. I can't cope. :(

Scooby921
April 24th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Well, if the shipping woes for Mystery Inks are anything to go by, this doesn't surprise me. Packages to England, Turkey, and Japan required less time than a package to New York. But then the package to New Zealand got lost in a corner somewhere in Chicago for a week and was delivered 3 days after finally making it onto a plane.

Did the address on your package contain any unnecessary "u's", or maybe an "s" where a "z" should be? You know we can't read those in the United States. :D

FredRydr
April 24th, 2018, 03:41 PM
...Royal Mail Dangerous Goods, who wrote me that all ink is prohibited in Belgium....
All ink is prohibited in Belgium? Now there's a good bit of humor. It sure appears like a bureaucrat who is so lazy he/she makes up stuff to avoid responsibility to make decisions. Bureaucrats specialize in that behavior.

I wonder what he would have said if asked, "What are Belgians expected to do with their empty fountain pens?"

Robert
April 24th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. A few years ago I shipped a (very expensive) phono cartridge to a chap in Australia. The target delivery date came and went, and the buyer had not received the item. I went to my local USPS office to make an inquiry, and the manager was very helpful. After doing a bit of research, he said something to the effect that, "Your package was delivered to Bahrain by mistake." He got on the stick, and a few days later the package was delivered to its rightful owner.

I hope Chrissy's outcome is similarly happy.

mhosea
April 24th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Isn't 8:24am Torino time 27 minutes before 2:51am NY time? The ink is time traveling, so it might yet arrive yesterday.

Wuddus
April 24th, 2018, 04:59 PM
This has happened to me before. I sent a parcel from the UK to another country in Europe. It got there very quickly, but the day after it was in South America! It was there for about a week before it got back to the correct country, and then another three days to get to the recipient.

mulrich
April 24th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Isn't 8:24am Torino time 27 minutes before 2:51am NY time? The ink is time traveling, so it might yet arrive yesterday.

You beat me to this comment. No doubt something is wrong but I’m not ready to believe the package already made it to Italy. The NY distribution center is notoriously bad, and I’d be shocked if any package made it through their facility in less than 24 hours.

Chrissy
April 25th, 2018, 12:12 AM

You beat me to this comment. No doubt something is wrong but I’m not ready to believe the package already made it to Italy. The NY distribution center is notoriously bad, and I’d be shocked if any package made it through their facility in less than 24 hours.

It's definitely been tracked in Italy. No doubt about that. It arrived in NY last Saturday at 2am, then was put on a plane to Italy instead of Orlando.

Chrissy
April 25th, 2018, 12:13 AM
This has happened to me before. I sent a parcel from the UK to another country in Europe. It got there very quickly, but the day after it was in South America! It was there for about a week before it got back to the correct country, and then another three days to get to the recipient.
This is disturbing news. It looks like I'm going to miss another ebay delivery date. :(

Chrissy
April 25th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. A few years ago I shipped a (very expensive) phono cartridge to a chap in Australia. The target delivery date came and went, and the buyer had not received the item. I went to my local USPS office to make an inquiry, and the manager was very helpful. After doing a bit of research, he said something to the effect that, "Your package was delivered to Bahrain by mistake." He got on the stick, and a few days later the package was delivered to its rightful owner.

I hope Chrissy's outcome is similarly happy.
Fingers crossed for this outcome. The problem is I can't contact USPS. I can't phone them because I'm in the UK, and I can't send an email because they won't allow me to complete the Contact Us form without a US address. :(

I wouldn't mind, but no tracking has happened since Saturday April 21st, so it's not like they are making any effort to put it right. Perhaps it's a one plane per week service from Italy to NY? :(

titrisol
April 25th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Belgium is the land of regulations.... I think it is one of their largest exports :D

jar
April 25th, 2018, 06:01 AM
It's always Orlando somewhere.

Chrissy
April 25th, 2018, 09:15 AM
I phoned today. It's waiting to go through Italian Customs. After 25 days I have to make a claim that it's lost. That's that then. :(

FredRydr
April 25th, 2018, 10:03 AM
The mind boggles....

Silverbreeze
April 25th, 2018, 12:31 PM

You too huh, what is it with the Springfield hub and us in CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrissy
April 25th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I have now heard that there is some tracking that can be seen by Royal Mail employees, but it can't be seen by customers.

Good News: Italy has noticed the mis-sort error, and it is being sent back to the US. :applause: Bad News: no-one knows how long this will take, and Royal Mail can do nothing to speed it up. :(

But maybe it won't need to clear Customs again in New York? :facepalm: On the other hand....fingers crossed. :)

Runnin_Ute
April 26th, 2018, 11:22 AM
At least there is some positive news....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AzJon
April 27th, 2018, 08:47 AM
It appears to be back in NY!

That's good news, at least. I've been advised by USPS in the past to be very careful of packages sent to Italy. Not entirely sure why, now that I think of it, but I was told it was safer to ship to Australia than Italy for international untracked packages. 0.o

Chrissy
April 27th, 2018, 09:49 AM

That's good news, at least. I've been advised by USPS in the past to be very careful of packages sent to Italy. Not entirely sure why, now that I think of it, but I was told it was safer to ship to Australia than Italy for international untracked packages. 0.o

Yes. :cheer2: I'm signed-up for email updates, and was advised that last night. That's a relief. ;) I am holding my breath now that they can manage to get it to Orlando. :dirol:

FredRydr
April 27th, 2018, 10:08 AM

I suspect it has to do with missing parcels. My Italian silver-ray celluloid Zemax lever-filler never arrived, and an effort to trace it proved futile despite Italian registered mail.

azkid
April 27th, 2018, 12:41 PM

That's good news, at least. I've been advised by USPS in the past to be very careful of packages sent to Italy. Not entirely sure why, now that I think of it, but I was told it was safer to ship to Australia than Italy for international untracked packages. 0.oAnd I've had a few problems with Australia...

Anyway, I personally am a lot less worried now that it is out of Italy and back in NY.

Chrissy
April 27th, 2018, 03:01 PM

That's good news, at least. I've been advised by USPS in the past to be very careful of packages sent to Italy. Not entirely sure why, now that I think of it, but I was told it was safer to ship to Australia than Italy for international untracked packages. 0.oAnd I've had a few problems with Australia...

Anyway, I personally am a lot less worried now that it is out of Italy and back in NY.

Me too. :)

titrisol
May 4th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I havent checked this thread in a while... your tracking says it was delivered?

Chrissy
May 4th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I havent checked this thread in a while... your tracking says it was delivered?

It was, and apparently none the worse for it's week long holiday in Italy. :) Interestingly, all of the tracking relating to the "mis-sort" has been tidied up. i.e. removed. ebay delivery date missed though.... :(

Farmboy
May 4th, 2018, 04:06 PM
https://youtu.be/q4iEub6hYno

Farmboy
May 4th, 2018, 04:08 PM
OR

https://youtu.be/-jBQ_9bEXXM

Chrissy
May 4th, 2018, 04:13 PM
On Wednesday, I sent a couple of pens for repair to Ron in Philly :)

We arrive in FL just before the end of the month. :) What odds would I get that we'll arrive in the US before the pens do? :crazy_pilot: