PDA

View Full Version : Any way to exclude "for sale" threads when I click on "new posts"?

Medieval
May 1st, 2018, 04:28 PM
Hi FPG
When I click on "new posts" a large proportion of the new threads are "for sale" threads, none of which I'm interested in. Is there a way to exclude such threads when I click on "new posts" button?

Thanks

Wuddus
May 1st, 2018, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, the trade threads seem to be the bulk of the daily posting here, and I've not found a way to filter them out either. What I tend to do, is click "What's New?" and take a look at the right hand side of the table to identify which posts are not trade stuff. I then open what few threads are conversational, and then hit click "Mark Forums Read".

FredRydr
May 1st, 2018, 06:15 PM
...Is there a way to exclude such threads when I click on "new posts" button?
Yes. First go to the For Sale subforum

- Click on [Forum Tools]
- Click on [Mark This Forum Read]
This removes all the For Sale listings from New Posts. Of course, you can do that with any subforum before looking at New Posts.

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2018, 06:53 PM
...Is there a way to exclude such threads when I click on "new posts" button?
Yes. First go to the For Sale subforum

- Click on [Forum Tools]
- Click on [Mark This Forum Read]
This removes all the For Sale listings from New Posts. Of course, you can do that with any subforum before looking at New Posts.

I do basically what Fred says, but do it this way: my bookmark to the forum is actually a bookmark to the "What's New" page. Once that opens, I look to the right hand column and find the first "For Sale" item and click on "For Sale" (the name of the subforum). When that sub comes up I do the rest of what Fred says, voiding all the sales threads, and then return by clicking on "What's New". It's a couple of clicks, it's a minor pisser, but there are worse things in the world.

FredRydr
May 1st, 2018, 07:11 PM
...It's a couple of clicks, it's a minor pisser, but there are worse things in the world.
I hardly think about it when I do it. I recall many weeks ago someone posting in indignant fashion that he shouldn't be expected to go through all that trouble, etc., etc. So just now, out of curiosity, I timed myself through the above steps, starting with New Posts, marking the For Sale subforum as Read and returning to New Posts. It took all of five seconds, and it could have been faster had others in my house not been sharing available bandwidth.

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2018, 07:30 PM
...It's a couple of clicks, it's a minor pisser, but there are worse things in the world.
I hardly think about it when I do it. I recall many weeks ago someone posting in indignant fashion that he shouldn't be expected to go through all that trouble, etc., etc. So just now, out of curiosity, I timed myself through the above steps, starting with New Posts, marking the For Sale subforum as Read and returning to New Posts. It took all of five seconds, and it could have been faster had others in my house not been sharing available bandwidth.

That's true, Fred, and in my way of getting along with the world, I accept it.

However, my first degree is in music but my second is in software engineering. I am trained to look for elegant solutions. A modern computer/software system has a malleability that makes any task easier if solved properly. There *should* be either a setting that ignores all of the posts in the subforum and - in fact - there is! That is how none of the posts in "Politics, Religion and Science" don't appear in the "What's New" filter. It would be a brain-dead easy thing to make a user-selectable filter that would do the same thing for Sales.

It isn't that it is a hard or burdensome task. It is that it is a task that one should never have to do.

penwash
May 1st, 2018, 08:29 PM
For me, it's not the For Sale posts, it's the lack of non-For Sale submissions that I find it a bit of an issue here :D

azkid
May 2nd, 2018, 05:44 PM
For me, it's not the For Sale posts, it's the lack of non-For Sale submissions that I find it a bit of an issue here :DMe too. That is why I am trying to up my participation a bit. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KrazyIvan
May 3rd, 2018, 10:30 AM
There is a way to automatically exclude posts from a section. I just need to remember how I did it.

Lexaf
May 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
For me, it's not the For Sale posts, it's the lack of non-For Sale submissions that I find it a bit of an issue here :DMe too. That is why I am trying to up my participation a bit. :)

True! + 1

KrazyIvan
May 4th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Okay, I have searched just about every setting on this board and cannot find how I did it. It is very possible that it was a board hack that broke when the site went on auto-pilot.