PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan 100N Magnum the earlier and big size 100N

piscov
May 8th, 2013, 09:04 AM
This pen is mentioned in pag. 49 and 50 of "Pelikan Schreibgerate" from Mr. Dittmer and Mr. Lehmann.

The order document bellow is also mentioned there but its not showed, so here it is the order for 1600 Pelikan 100N Magnum with the EMEGE imprint.
This order was placed by the company "Monteiro Guimarães, Filho, Lda" in 1935 and was delivered by Pelikan in 1936.

This pen is prior to the 100N and as can be seen on the document order it was not, at that moment, designated as Pelikan 100N Magnum. This is a name that was given later ( I dont have information on when)

Pelikan 100N was released according to "Pelikan Scheibgerate" in March 1937 for export and in March 1938 in Germany. The Magnum showed here is therefore prior to the 100N

No pens were ever produced in Portugal, as some say. Monteiro Guimarães would mark the pens (100, 100N and first 100N Magnum model) with "Emegue" in cursive in the cap or sleeve. But they did not marked the First 100N Magnum model with the EMEGUE in the top cap in block- sehrift letters.
Those markings were made in Germany as per bellow document proof. That was probably because it was very hard to make the imprint around the top cap because the need of even spacing between letters.

In Portuguese MG, the initials of Monteiro Guimarães are phonetically:
M---->EME
G----->GE

Therefore the EMEGE imprint.

There is a theory that says that Monteiro Guimarães engraved the pens so that they could know the pen had been sold by them and therefore give full warranty only to those. This is very odd to me has they were the only importer and official Representative for Portugal, Spain, Brasil, and Portuguese African countries ( then Angola, Moçambique, Guiné Bissau, Cape Verde and São tomé e Principe) So all the pens found in Portugal would have been imported by them. Monteiro Guimarães had then re-sellers all across the country and in those foreign markets they owned.
This is why I don't see the need to mark the pens only because of warranty issues. It sound to me more that they wanted they brand name also on the pens for commercial reasons... but this is just me guessing...

The home and foreign markets in wich Monteiro Guimarães was the legal representative of Pelikan were in fact big, this is why they could place such a big order for one of the most expensive pens back then ( 1600 Magnum pens as its proved by this document, in one time)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPG/IMG_1554.JPG

Here you can see the differences:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPG/IMG_1555.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPG/IMG_1556.JPG

The Magnum ( Red cap and tortoise sleeve), is longer and of bigger girth.

Size comparison using one of my magnums and the Pelikan 100N grey sleeve you see on the picture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPG/Magnun%20measurements.jpg

all measures in mm

Pelikan-Vera
May 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Nice Piscov. so which one is the magnum??? Vera

rick propas
May 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks very much for adding to our knowledge of this very nice, but heretofore obscure model! I've had a few and they all seem to be marked differently, not to mention the later "faked" markings.

piscov
May 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Nice Piscov. so which one is the magnum??? Vera

Its the one in the middle in the 1st picture. Red cap, tortoise bind. Its a bit fatter and long that all the others. Although from this pictures is hard to tell.

In the second picture its the one on the top.

piscov
May 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks very much for adding to our knowledge of this very nice, but heretofore obscure model! I've had a few and they all seem to be marked differently, not to mention the later "faked" markings.

Hi Rick,

I agree with you that this is a very nice model, I cannot agree in calling it obscure... I prefer rare.

As far as I know there are only two different models, the difference between them is the lettering, the place of engraving and a slight color difference in the binds.

The first model was marked around the top cap with EMEGE (as per this order document posted above)

The 2nd model was marked longitudinal on the cap ]with Emege as can be seen here:
Source: Picturetaken by PMN as shown here (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1374227762__magnum_emege.jpg)

I have both models, but imprints are very faint imprints but I will try to take a picture to put here.

No other variation were ever made in this model... and no fake markings are known to be made on any Pelikan Magnum's as they all carry the Portuguese representative name EMEGE. Do you have any prove of that concerning the Magnum Pelikan?

Even in that document I shared today you can see that the imprint was asked to Pelikan be engraved in the pens by Monteiro Guimarães.

Here in Portugal you find a lot of Pelikans 100 and 100N with Emege imprints, because that was the representative policy: to mark them with the Pelikan pantograph machine before selling them in Portugal. On fake Emege imprints Its better not to take the all for the part, the vast majority are no fakes.

Interesting would be to find ot why was this beautiful and luxurious model only sold in Portugal, Brasil ans Spain and only by Monteiro Guimarães company???

tandaina
May 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Those are lovely! And patterns I'd never seen before! Can I ask where you found them? (I'm always curious where folks get their pens as I've had no luck 'in the wild')

piscov
May 8th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hi Tandaina,

After some year collecting pens they end up coming from every where. The Magnums I found here in Portugal in flee markets and in an brick an mortar auction house, the Pelikan 101N tortoise I bought from a Brazilian friend some years ago in Brazil and the grey one I found in the former Yugoslavia complete with box and papers.

Most of the good finds at great prices come from the fleemarkets... the secret is walk a lot and lots of luck!!!

daenghafez
November 2nd, 2013, 11:01 PM
I would love to own this oversize Magnum pen one day.

Thanks for sharing with us your lovely rare pens. :D

Mori45
November 8th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Do we have any idea approximately how many were produced? I'm guessing not, but I'll ask anyways.

piscov
November 9th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Unfortunately I don´t have that information.
But more than 3600 for sure. This is just the document of one of the orders, later more certainly came.
But they are very very hard to find!!

Mori45
November 10th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Also interesting to note is the distribution of the nibs. Looks like only about 1% of the lot consisted of broad nibs.