PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use an inkwell?

calamus
May 9th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I've been tempted lately to acquire an inkwell or three. It all began when I saw a photograph of Evelyn Waugh's cut crystal inkwell from about the 1930s or '40s. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or any photos to share?
Thanks in advance!

VertOlive
May 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Here are two that I've posted in the past:

That said, I have never used them! I seldom use a dip pen and I'm concerned that whatever I pour in there will dry or junk up before I use it up. I suppose you can fill one, do your writing, then either discard the rest or pour it back in the bottle.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8946-Owl-well?highlight=owlwell

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5397-Vintage-Hummingbird-Inkwell

Chrissy
May 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM

That said, I have never used them! I seldom use a dip pen and I'm concerned that whatever I pour in there will dry or junk up before I use it up. I suppose you can fill one, do your writing, then either discard the rest or pour it back in the bottle.

I always thought the same, so have never used an inkwell for the same reason. :(

FredRydr
May 9th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I've been tempted lately to acquire an inkwell or three. It all began when I saw a photograph of Evelyn Waugh's cut crystal inkwell from about the 1930s or '40s. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or any photos to share?
I have inkwells, but when I use my dip pens I dip into ink bottles for the reasons others have stated above. Here are a few of mine with some other shiny objects. (The set is currently in the classified if you are looking to buy something elegant.)

There are inkwell collectors just like pen collectors. I do not consider myself one of the former despite my little hoard.

calamus
May 9th, 2018, 05:59 PM
I have inkwells, but when I use my dip pens I dip into ink bottles for the reasons others have stated above. Here are a few of mine with some other shiny objects. (The set is currently in the classified if you are looking to buy something elegant.)

There are inkwell collectors just like pen collectors. I do not consider myself one of the former despite my little hoard.

If you consider yourself a pen collector, you must have an AMAZING collection of pens!
BTW, those inkwells are gorgeous!

calamus
May 9th, 2018, 06:03 PM

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8946-Owl-well?highlight=owlwell

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5397-Vintage-Hummingbird-Inkwell

If you have an inkwell that has a good, air-tight seal and a go-to ink that you use all the time in a favorite pen, an inkwell might be practical, it seems to me. I'd bet that's how Waugh and Graham Greene and others back when fountain pens were king used theirs.

VertOlive
May 9th, 2018, 06:22 PM
I'm guessing authors who used inkwells had a good chance of writing them dry!

Paddler
May 10th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I use an inkwell when writing a lot with dip pens. My inkwell has a porcelain insert that holds about 4 ml of ink. The insert looks like a big thimble. You dip just the nib and do not get the nib holder (and your fingers) inky. The limited depth of the insert makes every dip the same and makes dipping automatic; after a while, dipping doesn't take your attention away from your thoughts. You just write and don't pay attention to the dipping. It is like driving a car with a standard transmission; you don't even know you are shifting and clutching.

calamus
May 10th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Here is Evelyn Waugh's inkwell from the Harry Ransom Center at U.T. in Austin, Texas. It's on display there with two of his fountain pens. If anyone ever gets a chance to photograph them (the pens) I'd love to see the photos! Waugh is one of my favorite writers.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/08/74/b708742783854d3370f090b4bb253184.jpg

calamus
May 10th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I'm guessing authors who used inkwells had a good chance of writing them dry!

Writing thousands of pages will do that.

FredRydr
May 13th, 2018, 05:36 AM
You should have no problem finding an inkwell that meets your needs and price on eBay.com. I searched "(glass,crystal) inkwell" and up pops 1,823 listings. Have at it.

calamus
May 14th, 2018, 01:57 PM
You should have no problem finding an inkwell that meets your needs and price on eBay.com. I searched "(glass,crystal) inkwell" and up pops 1,823 listings. Have at it.

Thank you kindly. I have been popping over there regularly looking for an auction about to end with no bids on one that had my name on it. I've seen a couple that tempted me, but haven't run into the perfect storm yet. Did find one that I thought was one of the prettiest things I'd ever seen, but I couldn't possibly afford it.