PDA

View Full Version : Parker 45 Cap repair

menunes
May 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hi,

I discovered my old Parker 45 - blue plastic barrel with brushed chrome cap, marked IIH, Parker UK (it's a circa 1997 pen from what I gathered). The problem is that the cap doesn't click on closing and it has a little hole under the arrow clip. From the looks, there's an inside metal clutch that I cant take off. Can I disassemble the cap and repair it whit some common house tools?

whych
May 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Try this from L. Oldfield - Pen Repair manual.
You may need to warm the cap to help uscrew the top screw on the cap.

menunes
May 21st, 2013, 06:41 AM
Thanks so much, That's what I see in my cap, i just have to investigate more and try do work it. At least i know I'm not missing parts in my pen. Many thanks.

whych
May 21st, 2013, 07:26 AM
Glad you found it useful.
Here are some further instructions from a guy who has done a few:

For metal Parker caps, moist heat often works best - quite/really hot
water - or even steam - depending on the model. Holding a cap upside down
over a kettle spout has often released the glue around the clip retaining
screw without doing any damage to either the cap or the plastic/nylon inner
cap which holds the sprung metal "clutch".

Flounder
May 21st, 2013, 03:34 PM
What went wrong with yours menunes, out of interest? Did the clutch fingers get pushed up off the inner cap?

menunes
May 24th, 2013, 02:39 PM
The clutch seems to be misplaced inside, the cap has a little hole under the clip, it doesn't look normal and the pen doesn't click when closing, rather fits fiction fit.

Flounder
May 25th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Your first three symptoms do sound peculiar, but doesn't the 45's cap have a slip clutch even when perfect? I mean, the fingers grip the section itself? My 45 flighter was made in the 90s and had little protrusions in the gold trim ring between the section and barrel to help with the friction fit at the cap lip, but I don't recall it ever actually clicking shut like a snap cap would.

whych
May 26th, 2013, 12:55 AM
The prongs on the inner cap hold the cap on to the section. If you look at the section, you will see the indentations they have left over the years.