PDA

View Full Version : Crosshatch writing -- a 19th century paper saving idea

jbb
May 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Crosshatch writing was done in the 19th century when paper and postage were expensive. (Maybe it is even older than that.) The two-color ink idea is my addition... although it's not hard to imagine that others thought of it as well. Try it, it's a bit trippy and fun.

BTW, I'm not sure if "crosshatch" is the official name for this sort of writing.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8301171082_b44b8310f8_o.jpg

jacksterp
May 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Looks like it would make a nice quilt.

ndw76
May 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM
I've written a few letters in crosshatch, but oddly enough, no one has returned a legible letter in cross hatch. It's a pitty. Writng crosshatch letters is fun.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 10th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Beautiful!

snedwos
May 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I think a lot of the Gospels were written in crosshatch, but I wouldn't swear to it.

manoeuver
May 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I see different words written in both directions, but all I can read is, "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you..."

tandaina
May 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah I can't read this type of writing. My eyes try for about half a second and then go "nope, not going there, just NO." :P

writingrav
May 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ok. I've got to try this. Anybody volunteer to receive my first effort?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

caribbean_skye
May 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Hehe, feel free to experiment on a future letter to me. I can't promise to return one in the same manner however.

ndw76
May 21st, 2013, 07:18 AM

Got your letter today. It was easy enough to read. I will be replying soon.

Cheers,

Nathan

writingrav
May 21st, 2013, 08:17 AM

Got your letter today. It was easy enough to read. I will be replying soon.

Cheers,

Nathan

Glad it arrived safely. I look forward to your reply.

jbb
May 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM
If you make a mistake in your writing after you've turned the page perpendicular how do you correct it? You can't cross it out at that point.

skyppere
May 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
I have a cross hatch letter that my great grand mother wrote to my great grandfather during the civil war. Her handwriting was so beautiful, it is EASY to read. I never got that gene so my attempts have been recieved with, shall we say 'patience,' by all of my snail friends.
skyppere

writingrav
May 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM
If you make a mistake in your writing after you've turned the page perpendicular how do you correct it? You can't cross it out at that point.

Don't make mistakes?:)

writingrav
May 21st, 2013, 12:47 PM
I have a cross hatch letter that my great grand mother wrote to my great grandfather during the civil war. Her handwriting was so beautiful, it is EASY to read. I never got that gene so my attempts have been recieved with, shall we say 'patience,' by all of my snail friends.
skyppere

Picture?

ThriveToScribe
May 28th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Crosshatch writing was done in the 19th century when paper and postage were expensive. (Maybe it is even older than that.) The two-color ink idea is my addition... although it's not hard to imagine that others thought of it as well. Try it, it's a bit trippy and fun.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8301171082_b44b8310f8_o.jpg

Years ago on a visit to England, I enjoyed a visit and tour of Chawton, the home of Jane Austen. Letters were on display and written in this very fashion,(except for the colors). Though the paper was wispy, the writing was readable and beautifully formed. Jane was born in the late 18th century and England was at war, so there was a paper shortage. Thus the creative letter-writers became more creative and an interesting letter format was born.
Your writing and colors really make the letter come alive, JBB. :clap2:

earthdawn
May 28th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Neat site that shows it as well as how to fold the paper for mailing without and envelope...

nice wax seal as well

http://toracellie.blogspot.com/2011/11/writing-and-folding-regency-style.html

79spitfire
May 28th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Makes my eyes crosshatch as well!

skyppere
May 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Let me see what I can find. I've been reorganizing my pictures and as a result they are completely disorganized and I can't find anything. But I will look!
skyppere

BikerBabe
May 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I think a lot of the Gospels were written in crosshatch, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Now that explains a lot! :D

Apart from that, I think that the letter style looks beautiful. :)